44 replies to this topic

#31 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,358 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 17 December 2011 - 02:29 PM.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#32 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

Steve Yzerman at #9? No Bourque, Clarke, or Messier?

...No Linden?

If its' captains who have achieved nothing then sure we can add Linden there.
Posted Image

#33 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

<br />Not exactly sure where I called him a weak leader, just said there were plenty of stronger ones.  Trottier was not a captain (Denis Potvin was) but still a great leader.<br /><br />Dave Poulin, Darryl Sittler, Dave Keon, Alex Delvecchio, Stan Mikita<br />

<br /><br /><br />

No, you didn't call him weak - but he does look weak when you put him next to other guys we mentioned so some people are tempted to underestimate him.

But in one sense, there are guys who are stronger, being more emotional and determined. In another sense, Gretzky is stronger than those guys by simply being him, calm, cool, and collected.

#34 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Who saw THN's list of captains? I saw it once, and chuckled how closely my list was with theirs, although I was miffed they put Messier higher than Gretzky - relieved he wasn't #1 though.

I was half-surprised they put Howe up there at #3, right ahead of Gretzky - the main reason I wouldn't put him so high was because he never actually won the Cup when wearing the 'C,' but he was still was every inch a leader, in effect a co-captain along with Lindsay and Abel, both of whom also made the list.

The list, as far as I can recall goes something like this (I can only recall the top six in order):

Beliveau
Messier
Howe
Gretzky
Lemieux
Yzerman
Sakic
Bourque
Esposito
Clarke
Orr
Potvin
Apps
Richard
Armstrong
Neidermayer
Stevens
Crosby
Iginla

#35 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,313 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

^^ Looks good to me

Edited by DeNiro, 16 January 2013 - 12:22 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#36 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

I think Gretzky gets underrated as a captain because he was so skilled. Maybe he wasn't the type of guy that would give a big inspirational speech but he was a great teammate. One thing that is always said about him is that he made every player feel like they were the most important guy on the team. He made sure everyone checked their ego at the door. He had time for every person on the team...that even included the team staff.

...and in the end, the 80s Oilers had five other future HOFers on it and he lead all of them onto the ice every night.

Yes, actually people who call Gretzky attribute his success entirely to his skills but overlook his leadership - they truly don't understand what made him such a great player. It wasn't his prodigious skill that set him apart - Petr Nedved and Paul Karyia could almost match Gretzky's skills. Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr could beat him.

What really set Gretzky apart from everyone else was his dedication and his leadership. He scored 2857 points because he pushed himself to keep going, he didn't stop. He was always trying to climb higher, even though he had already gone farther than anyone else.

Even with his 2857 points and the other 60 records he held, people wouldn't call him the "great one" if he hadn't been such a selfless, team-minded character player who reached out to everyone, teammates, opponents, even the "nobodies" who work the arenas. More than anyone else, he inspired respect, and he returned it. That's what put him above everyone else in the leadership department.

Without his leadership, he'd be a bust. Without his skill, he'd be an underrated behind-the-scenes player who nonetheless could still win something. Gretzky had both, and thus he was number one.

#37 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

Gordie Howe's worth mentioning. He was captain of the wings for a number of years, but considering the caliber of his play, it's rather surprising he was captain for only a few years.
We are all Canucks

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!
"I'll play on one leg, I don't care" - Ryan Kesler
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#38 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

Gordie Howe's worth mentioning. He was captain of the wings for a number of years, but considering the caliber of his play, it's rather surprising he was captain for only a few years.

I agree, that's pretty much the only thing that kept me from listing him - although THN put him at #3 - that he only held the role for four years and never won a Cup during that time. Still, he was arguably more or less the real captain when they did win (or at least co-captain along with Lindsay and Abel, both of whom also made THN's list).

#39 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

Luongo hands down!
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#40 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

Nice post. I enjoyed the read...especially about a few players I didn't really know a ton about. Makes me want to do some hockey research myself :P

#41 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,604 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

On the Canucks, guys like Smyl, Linden, Naslund were great captains.
Posted Image

#42 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Luongo hands down!

Yeah if he let's say upset the Hawks back in 2010, then led the Nucks to the Stanley Cup the very year they hosted the Olympics and when he won gold with Team Canada. Actually he probably might have been a contender if that happened.

On the Canucks, guys like Smyl, Linden, Naslund were great captains.

Too bad none of them won, even though Linden came closest (and Henrik Sedin).

#43 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

Iggy, Alffy, Sakic come to my mind. And Luongo.
Posted Image

#44 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

And Luongo.

From perhaps Luongo's last supporter, you're obviously kidding.

Iggy and Alf are good guys, but neither of them are close to knocking Stevens off the list even if they won the Cup in 2004 or 2007 respectively. The 12 (including Sakic) are a cut above everyone else playing today.

#45 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

By the time all is said and done Sidney Crosby will be #1 on this list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.