The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is this a good trade

Wait a second naysayers. This does have some merit FOR THE CANUCKS when conventional wisdom comes into play.

1) Keith Ballard; The general particle of thought around here is that his contract is too pricey for what he brings to the table at $4.2/year. (I disagree and see tons of upside..but let's go with that thought)

2) Aaron Volpatti; good young hard nosed player but not irreplaceable. Tops out on the fourth line. And with guys like Pinnazotto who would have made the team ahead of AV jr., and Oreo, who had a great playoffs last year, and Bitz out with injury etc. Volpatti is expendable and then some.

3) Manny Malhotra; He's a heart and soul guy. But something has to give down the middle. We are deep at centre (COHO). And Manny is not getting any younger. Eyesight is an issue long term. Would you part with him straight across plus a 1st rounder for Bobby Ryan? Because that is what this proposal comes down to.

4) Shrodes; Lots of upside, But he's a prospect. On the smallish side. Can he make it in the NHL?

4) First round pic. That can be replaced at the deadline by trading Schnieds.

The real question is would the Ducks part with 6'2 210 lb Bobby Ryan for this package. I doubt it.

Canucks line up....

Burrows--H. Sedin--Daniel Sedin

Booth-- Kesler-- Bobby Ryan

Higgens -- COHO -- Hansen

???? --Lappy -- Weise

Edler Salo

KB3 Rome

Alberts Tanev (or another trade)

Maybe trade Raymond plus second for Neil for fourth line.

Anyway, point is Bobby Ryan will get more than this.

I'll give you three reasons the Ducks can't do this trade...

1. Ballard is more baggage than an asset.

2. Volpatti is a 4th line grinder who can't score

3. Malhotra has a NTC

The only good trading assets in this deal is Schroder and the first round pick. Bob Murray is losing his mind in Anaheim but even he would laugh at your ridiculous proposal.

Archived