The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Movement to start chanting/singing at Rogers Arena!

Hank Moody

Hear me out.

I love the experience of going to a Canucks game at Rogers Arena. Now over here in North America, our sports are not accustomed to the whole "singing" or chanting up and down like Soccer around the world.

We've heard this be brought up so many times before, but I say we finally act and try to educate ourselves with some songs, and bring this phenomenal fan experience into hockey. I went to Europe over the summer and watched some European teams play, and it is one of THE Best experiences you will ever have. Not because of the soccer, but because of the crowd experience. There is not one person sitting down or talking, for a full 90 minutes you have the crowd jumping up and down singing. I even learnt the songs as the game went by. Phenomenal.

That's TRUE Home ice advantage. We could do like what Celtic does, which is change around the worlds to "Just Can't Get Enough" a bit to garner to their soccer team. The lyrics are as follows:

When I see you Celtic, I go out of my head,

I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough,

All the things you do to me and everything you say,

I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough,

We slip and slide as we fall in love,

And I just can't seem to get enough of... Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo...

Here's what they sound like:

Breathtaking. Would be amazing to experience.

DISCLAIMER: I didn't mean to actually sing "Just can't get enough", I meant we could do something similar to what they do, which is take a popular song everyone knows and change the words around a bit.

What if we were to sing:

From time to time? That would get the whole stadium going! It could be the first of many songs.

It 1)Brings back great memories

2) Relates to our city

3) Cannot be stolen from us

4) Is ABSOLUTELY original

That said, I am generally for things that promote fan unity..................but for me this suggestion has been poisoned by its association with European soccer crowds.

I suppose if someone came up with an incredibly relevant song for a Canucks game...maybe...

"Don't switch the blade on the guy in shades, oh no!"

I would actually like the lyrics to the new goal song (Electric Worry - Clutch) posted while the song plays after a goal. Has the right feel about it for fans to belt it out. That could be fun and maybe even get under the skin of the opposition a bit!

I've never seen you do anything on this site rather than go around trying your best to spread your negativity. It would be nice to see some positivity out of you eventually.

We're not emulating anyone. Singing songs and chanting has been a part of sport since the beginning of time. It just hasn't caught on here. In fact, they sing songs in the European hockey leagues, thank you.

It is an advantage because its original to only us. You think the players wouldn't get truly psyched up listening to their crowd do something other than just cheer when they score? It's to psyche them up even when they need a boost.

I was at the game against the flames and people started doing the wave WHILE the game was going on, and it was retarded. I don't mind if they do it between whistles but doing it while the play is going on is dumb, as this would be.

Archived