The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Movement to start chanting/singing at Rogers Arena!

Hank Moody

I would love something like this to happen. I was watching the game today...we had the 5 minutes powerplay and some follow-up pp's after that and the Canucks couldn't get anything going. I could barely hear a "Go Canucks Go", they need energy to feed off of and the crowd was just "meh". We get our 4th goal and everyones nuts "GO CANUCKS GO", seriously? I don't entirely buy that business crowd reason either(although its somewhat true). Refer to other games including play-off games where the crowd does cheer, regardless of/including the bizniz peeps - I don't find it a good enough excuse. I also agree with one of the posters above about Vancouver fans being snotty. The first thing that would need to happen to get something like this going is trash the "get your buds first and see how it turns out" method of thinking. Pushing this into our hockey culture will be a challenge, but it's definitely doable...all it takes are a few one game and a few the next.

Chants are one thing...but singing an entire sing? Never gonna work. Unless you're envisioning 19,000 fans having no reaction to whats happening on the ice. Any missed call, big hit, great save, near goal, or odd-man rush and that singing is gonna stop. Fans are gonna react more to whats happens on the ice (and I'm one them) over singing a song....and something is almost always happening during hockey.

Just my opinion.

Fans sing at soccer games because the games are boring. 90% of the game is played in the middle of the field, and other than a half dozen or dozen times a game the ball doesn't even get near the net.

Singing at a hockey game would distract me from the game. Cheering is good enough for me.

No it's because we want to watch the game. I still cheer loudly for good plays or to encourage the team. But I paid money to watch my favourite hockey team play hockey, not make a wave effect with a bunch of people, that doesn't even look cool. It's distracting. I

hate the wave because it blocks my view and it might cause me to miss a goal, hit, or save. Does that make me a suit who doesn't care about hockey? Like I said I still watch the game and cheer enthusiastically, I just prefer not to join in the wave or sing because I would rather be mentally involved in what's on the ice.

Why do some people insist on telling others how to cheer etc? I'm not talking about business people that just sit around and text all game, but what about people who care about the team and actually focus on the hockey game. Are they less of a fan than people who just do the wave and don't really pay attention to the hockey game they paid to watch?

I completely understand the point the OP is trying to make. There was a time when Canucks fans were credited as being some of the best in the league. Now watching the Habs escpecially, or the Bruins, or Blackhawks shows what fans SHOULD sound like. It seems to me that Van fans have become as passive as the players were in the finals last year.

Lets get loud and proud and maybe some of that passion rubs off on the players to step it up every home game.

With something like this where you're asking for a lot of people to step out of their comfort zones, I think you'd have to slowly change the social norms inside the rink. First step would play the song frequently so everybody eventually knows it. Then between whistles when they play the song, put up the lyrics and try to get people to sing along. Once people witness that it's socially ok to sing along, hopefully people would eventually just break out into song whenever they like.

To do something like that, I think you'd need a huge movement for it, and you'd have to get the Canucks on board with it so the lyrics would be put up on the screen. Also, I think for the first time they put the lyrics on the screen, you'd have to make sure it actually caught on by being at the game with a large group of people. This way it hopefully wouldn't be talked about in a negative light after the game. The timing of it would also be crucial because people won't be singing along if the team is losing.

I think the idea is a little far-fetched but with enough time and effort, somebody could probably pull it off.

Couldn't agree more, being Brazilian myself it was kind of a shock when I first went to Rogers Arena (GM place at the time) and everybody would just be quiet other than goals or big hits, looked like a theater :/ I know it isn't really part of your culture but you should really try and get that going, would make our home ice advantage even bigger.

I was actually thinking about what JCGE what sound like at a hockey game a few days ago. And I thought about posting on here, but I assumed I'd just get a negative response.

"I paid my money to watch the game quietly, not sing or clap or dance."

BOOORRRRIIIINGGG. For me, the atmosphere and having a good time is part of the experience of going to a big game. You expect it. It adds to the enjoyment. There's nothing better than jumping up and down to JCGE at Celtic Park, or singing YNWA as the teams come onto the pitch. Hockey is lacking in that department, and I give props to the OP for realising this.

What about some sort of end to end chant? One end of the arena sings, the other repeats? It's not so much a song as it is a chant really. Like this:

That said, I am generally for things that promote fan unity..................but for me this suggestion has been poisoned by its association with European soccer crowds.

I suppose if someone came up with an incredibly relevant song for a Canucks game...maybe...

"Don't switch the blade on the guy in shades, oh no!"

Archived