Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Movement to start chanting/singing at Rogers Arena!

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#91 one-x

one-x

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

It may be quiet...but at least we don't have that Eric Cartman voice urging chants on like in LA.

Omg I hate that....so effing annoying!! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

tumblr_m8tr8mGRkW1rdrug2o1_400.jpg    tumblr_ncj1ajVA7j1tb6rtvo2_250.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#92 one-x

one-x

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

we could make these noises as our playersmove the puck un and down ice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VXEDUVkbt8&feature=player_detailpage

^ LOOOL

tumblr_m8tr8mGRkW1rdrug2o1_400.jpg    tumblr_ncj1ajVA7j1tb6rtvo2_250.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#93 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

Delete

Edited by Hammer88, 06 December 2011 - 08:26 PM.

Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#94 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

Not a fan of singing or prolonged chants, but I just want to hear cheers, jeers, boos, and woos for everything that happens on the ice, be it goals, hits, saves, missed calls, offsides, etc.

Bingo, I am yelling non stop I worry people get mad sometimes but I can't help it I am pumped.

Just Screameddd Booth when he got his goal in phoenix.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#95 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

I don't think the lack cheering and noise has anything to do with us being unenthusiastic.

It's more so that the tickets are super expensive and used by business people like it's a meeting place or time to talk on their phone.

That being said, I don't think we need to take anything from European fans.

#96 FallenCR7A

FallenCR7A

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

I would love something like this to happen. I was watching the game today...we had the 5 minutes powerplay and some follow-up pp's after that and the Canucks couldn't get anything going. I could barely hear a "Go Canucks Go", they need energy to feed off of and the crowd was just "meh". We get our 4th goal and everyones nuts "GO CANUCKS GO", seriously? I don't entirely buy that business crowd reason either(although its somewhat true). Refer to other games including play-off games where the crowd does cheer, regardless of/including the bizniz peeps - I don't find it a good enough excuse. I also agree with one of the posters above about Vancouver fans being snotty. The first thing that would need to happen to get something like this going is trash the "get your buds first and see how it turns out" method of thinking. Pushing this into our hockey culture will be a challenge, but it's definitely doable...all it takes are a few one game and a few the next.

Posted Image

Formerly pflaumEnSaft

#97 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:01 PM

While I agree, the +1 I gave you is for Lapierre's gawk.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#98 Ocular Patdown

Ocular Patdown

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:16 AM

Works so well with soccer because the game is much slower. In hockey there's so much action and back and forth play so chanting wouldn't really work.

#99 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

I think the noise in the arena is based on the DJ or goal announcer. They could create tradition

Posted Image

#100 cjc

cjc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

I grew up with soccer and loved the atmosphere at the games in England BUT it just doesn't fit here. This isn't a knock on the fans or anything. It just feels weird with hockey and if there's anything I hate about Whitecaps games it's the fake English yobbo accents adopted for the chanting and singing. Hockey is a different sport. As someone already mentioned, it's faster and you need to follow it more closely. There's less time to get into any singing. Chanting's different. We already chant, but there's less said (wow - Go Canucks Go - pretty weak). "Vancouver" + "Canucks" is pretty damned awkward don't you think? If you really want to try it, you'd need a group sitting together to start it and to keep it going. Maybe others will pick it up but I have my doubts.

#101 The-Impersonator

The-Impersonator

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

The Canucks need to be coming out in the playoffs to this: Such a wicked song!:

#102 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:58 AM

If there is entertainment on the ice you don't need it in the stands
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#103 Hank Moody

Hank Moody

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

I would love something like this to happen. I was watching the game today...we had the 5 minutes powerplay and some follow-up pp's after that and the Canucks couldn't get anything going. I could barely hear a "Go Canucks Go", they need energy to feed off of and the crowd was just "meh". We get our 4th goal and everyones nuts "GO CANUCKS GO", seriously? I don't entirely buy that business crowd reason either(although its somewhat true). Refer to other games including play-off games where the crowd does cheer, regardless of/including the bizniz peeps - I don't find it a good enough excuse. I also agree with one of the posters above about Vancouver fans being snotty. The first thing that would need to happen to get something like this going is trash the "get your buds first and see how it turns out" method of thinking. Pushing this into our hockey culture will be a challenge, but it's definitely doable...all it takes are a few one game and a few the next.

Absolutely. I'm trying to think of ways to possibly get this going, looking at some tickets for me and a group of friends... Thinking of making a youtube video with some song ideas that we can all get used to, hope for it to go viral. I have a youtube account with tons of subscribers from back when I used to make hockey videos, hopefully it will catch on.

Posted Image
Formerly Hockeyfans101/Lapierre's Gawk

Thank you for the badass sig, Insom-

#104 sharnhayre

sharnhayre

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

I am all for this... If any of you have had the opportunity to attend a Rangers game at MSG knows what fan participation is.

Canucks should come up with a contest for chants to get more fan participation.

#105 skolozsy2

skolozsy2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

Chants are one thing...but singing an entire sing? Never gonna work. Unless you're envisioning 19,000 fans having no reaction to whats happening on the ice. Any missed call, big hit, great save, near goal, or odd-man rush and that singing is gonna stop. Fans are gonna react more to whats happens on the ice (and I'm one them) over singing a song....and something is almost always happening during hockey.

Just my opinion.

Edited by skolozsy2, 07 December 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#106 Coda

Coda

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

Fans sing at soccer games because the games are boring. 90% of the game is played in the middle of the field, and other than a half dozen or dozen times a game the ball doesn't even get near the net.

Singing at a hockey game would distract me from the game. Cheering is good enough for me.

#107 Shea Weber

Shea Weber

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Love the idea!
European Sports fans > North american sports fans
Im sorry but its true! they have so much more passion for there teams over there, we could learn something from them.
Posted Image
Credit goes to: GoaltenderInterfernce

#108 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Love the idea!
European Sports fans > North american sports fans
Im sorry but its true! they have so much more passion for there teams over there, we could learn something from them.

whoa speak for yourself there.

Posted Image

#109 CanucksAtmosphere

CanucksAtmosphere

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

(Removed)

Edited by CanucksAtmosphere, 20 December 2011 - 06:38 PM.

#110 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

No it's because we want to watch the game. I still cheer loudly for good plays or to encourage the team. But I paid money to watch my favourite hockey team play hockey, not make a wave effect with a bunch of people, that doesn't even look cool. It's distracting. I
hate the wave because it blocks my view and it might cause me to miss a goal, hit, or save. Does that make me a suit who doesn't care about hockey? Like I said I still watch the game and cheer enthusiastically, I just prefer not to join in the wave or sing because I would rather be mentally involved in what's on the ice.

Why do some people insist on telling others how to cheer etc? I'm not talking about business people that just sit around and text all game, but what about people who care about the team and actually focus on the hockey game. Are they less of a fan than people who just do the wave and don't really pay attention to the hockey game they paid to watch?

Probably yes. Not saying you have to act obnoxiously, but you'd think if you were mentally involved "that" much or as much as you think you are you'd inevitably end up being at least a little, psyched up!

#111 xXx_seabass_xXx

xXx_seabass_xXx

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

<br />whoa speak for yourself there.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

It's true the main difference between NA fans and the rest of the world Asia, South America and Europe is NA fans lack the passion. I love the canucks and everything to do with them expect going to games, I feel asleep at 1 and yawned like crazy at the others, The games were great but no atmosphere at all. I would rather go to the local pub and watch the games because there is an atmosphere. Lions and whitecaps games are WAY better to go to because it's an event. Going to a nucks game is about status IMO. Something like a chant( singing I don't think will work in hockey) would be great for the nucks. I'm not a big habs fan but damn would I love to watch a game at the bell centre because it's more of an event.

Posted Image

Chile for 2014 World cup!! Canucks for the 2012 Stanley Cup!!

Let's Go Whitecaps! Credit to (>'-')> for the sig!

#112 Gibbster

Gibbster

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

I completely understand the point the OP is trying to make. There was a time when Canucks fans were credited as being some of the best in the league. Now watching the Habs escpecially, or the Bruins, or Blackhawks shows what fans SHOULD sound like. It seems to me that Van fans have become as passive as the players were in the finals last year.

Lets get loud and proud and maybe some of that passion rubs off on the players to step it up every home game.

#113 I'm Your Huckleberry

I'm Your Huckleberry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

With something like this where you're asking for a lot of people to step out of their comfort zones, I think you'd have to slowly change the social norms inside the rink. First step would play the song frequently so everybody eventually knows it. Then between whistles when they play the song, put up the lyrics and try to get people to sing along. Once people witness that it's socially ok to sing along, hopefully people would eventually just break out into song whenever they like.

To do something like that, I think you'd need a huge movement for it, and you'd have to get the Canucks on board with it so the lyrics would be put up on the screen. Also, I think for the first time they put the lyrics on the screen, you'd have to make sure it actually caught on by being at the game with a large group of people. This way it hopefully wouldn't be talked about in a negative light after the game. The timing of it would also be crucial because people won't be singing along if the team is losing.

I think the idea is a little far-fetched but with enough time and effort, somebody could probably pull it off.

2a854ac1-b75d-49bc-acf4-1e2705c9e1c3_zps

#114 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

I wish one night they would sell tickets for 50$ a seat, and see if the arena is just a little louder.

Edited by Kent.S, 08 December 2011 - 02:09 PM.

#115 leo

leo

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Couldn't agree more, being Brazilian myself it was kind of a shock when I first went to Rogers Arena (GM place at the time) and everybody would just be quiet other than goals or big hits, looked like a theater :/ I know it isn't really part of your culture but you should really try and get that going, would make our home ice advantage even bigger.

Because there are also Canucks Fans in Brazil

Posted Image

#116 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

Probably yes. Not saying you have to act obnoxiously, but you'd think if you were mentally involved "that" much or as much as you think you are you'd inevitably end up being at least a little, psyched up!

Of course I'm psyched up. It's not like I just sit there quietly and don't yell or cheer or anything like that. I'm just psyched up about stuff that happens in the game, not in the crowd. And doing the wave takes me out of the game.

I agree that Rogers Arena is too quiet, but you don't have to do songs or organized chants or anything to have a good crowd atmosphere. Think of important playoff games, where
the crowd is really into the game, and lets a huge roar with even the smallest good play and rises out of their seat when a scoring chance happens. This is just me, but I prefer that to organized
chants and the wave and stuff.

Edited by etsen3, 08 December 2011 - 06:02 PM.

#117 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

I was actually thinking about what JCGE what sound like at a hockey game a few days ago. And I thought about posting on here, but I assumed I'd just get a negative response.

"I paid my money to watch the game quietly, not sing or clap or dance."

BOOORRRRIIIINGGG. For me, the atmosphere and having a good time is part of the experience of going to a big game. You expect it. It adds to the enjoyment. There's nothing better than jumping up and down to JCGE at Celtic Park, or singing YNWA as the teams come onto the pitch. Hockey is lacking in that department, and I give props to the OP for realising this.

What about some sort of end to end chant? One end of the arena sings, the other repeats? It's not so much a song as it is a chant really. Like this:

#118 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

I had a dream we did this last night. It sounded good :lol:

#119 SoTzuMe

SoTzuMe

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

That said, I am generally for things that promote fan unity..................but for me this suggestion has been poisoned by its association with European soccer crowds.

I suppose if someone came up with an incredibly relevant song for a Canucks game...maybe...

"Don't switch the blade on the guy in shades, oh no!"

Such an ignorant and ironic comment given the negative view people have of Vancouver hockey fans these days thanks to the riot.

Posted Image

#120 Hank Moody

Hank Moody

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

Does anybody know how I can possibly get a hold of the Canucks organization and possibly get them involved in this?

Posted Image
Formerly Hockeyfans101/Lapierre's Gawk

Thank you for the badass sig, Insom-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.