The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Movement to start chanting/singing at Rogers Arena!

Hank Moody

I agree that it would be cool but it would just never happen here. In Europe the songs they sing are pretty much a part of the culture, everyone knows them, everyone expects to sing them. Here you could try to introduce a song but no one is going to join in and chances are someone will call security on you for "ruining their experience" :(

Love the idea and wish we could have a unique cheering chant whether it would be a song like you mentioned or anything else. Unfortunately we live in North America where we don't have a majority of crazy passionate sports fans at the games that are willing to do this.

I brought this up years ago, and then thought to myself it would never work in Vancouver cause our fans are stuck up and snooty, especially those who sit in the lower bowl and are season ticket holders that show up in clothes to go to an opera.

I once told this old geaser off at a playoff game vs St.Louis in 2003 when I was sitting lower bowl row 5. Bertuzzi knocked Macinnis into next year with a hit on the boards and the crowd went nuts, but I stood up and started yelling and waving my towel, the old dude behind me told me to sit down and that he's been a season ticket holder for a million years, I said "I dont know you and I dont care, call someone and kick me out, I dare you". He got scared and shut up the rest of the game.

You think with people like this that we can emulate soccer fans in Europe?? Haha yeah right, this type of filth fills up like 3/4 of our arena, and then people bring their kids too, so good luck.

Love the idea and wish we could have a unique cheering chant whether it would be a song like you mentioned or anything else. Unfortunately we live in North America where we don't have a majority of crazy passionate sports fans at the games that are willing to do this.

I brought this up years ago, and then thought to myself it would never work in Vancouver cause our fans are stuck up and snooty, especially those who sit in the lower bowl and are season ticket holders that show up in clothes to go to an opera.

I once told this old geaser off at a playoff game vs St.Louis in 2003 when I was sitting lower bowl row 5. Bertuzzi knocked Macinnis into next year with a hit on the boards and the crowd went nuts, but I stood up and started yelling and waving my towel, the old dude behind me told me to sit down and that he's been a season ticket holder for a million years, I said "I dont know you and I dont care, call someone and kick me out, I dare you". He got scared and shut up the rest of the game.

You think with people like this that we can emulate soccer fans in Europe?? Haha yeah right, this type of filth fills up like 3/4 of our arena, and then people bring their kids too, so good luck.

Also, bear in mind, this is the market where fans at games:

- throw salmon on the ice

- women lift up their shirts and flash their breasts

- men dress up in green unitards and do handstands

- women throw bras on the ice

- invented towel waving

We aren't exactly that confined in a narrow comfort zone...

A couple of posters in this thread is a awful reminder of why we are known to have the worst crowds in hockey. Half the crowd at a Nashville home game can make more noise than a full capacity Rogers Library crowd. Yea, it must suck doing the wave during play, 'oh heavens I'd have to left my fat arms up and it might rip my suit, my company only gives me 10 games a year to attend and this is what i have to put up with, sigh.'

Know what would be absolutely hilarious?

What if we sang:

and replaced "Jackson" with the last name of the opposing goaltender during playoff series?

Imagine, after we're up 3-0 in the second period of a playoff game against Chicago, you have 20,000 people singing

"I'm sorry Ms. Crawford! Hoooooooooo! I am for reaaaaal! Never meant to make your daughter cry, I apologize a trillion times!"

Ok, maybe a little overboard, but i'm getting my creative juices flowing :lol:

Archived