Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Movement to start chanting/singing at Rogers Arena!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
143 replies to this topic

#121 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

It's a great idea and I think it would absolutely pump our guys up. The lyrics don't matter, they won't be able to make the words out anyway, it's the fact 18000 people would be chanting and cheering in unison. It would be unbelievable. But fans here will never go for it. It's a damn shame.
Posted Image

#122 Tenacious

Tenacious

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,976 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

I was actually thinking about what JCGE what sound like at a hockey game a few days ago. And I thought about posting on here, but I assumed I'd just get a negative response.

"I paid my money to watch the game quietly, not sing or clap or dance."

BOOORRRRIIIINGGG. For me, the atmosphere and having a good time is part of the experience of going to a big game. You expect it. It adds to the enjoyment. There's nothing better than jumping up and down to JCGE at Celtic Park, or singing YNWA as the teams come onto the pitch. Hockey is lacking in that department, and I give props to the OP for realising this.

What about some sort of end to end chant? One end of the arena sings, the other repeats? It's not so much a song as it is a chant really. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12OucYo2aME&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkd8UAj7sh8

Nothing better.

Posted Image

#123 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

ahhhh, i think everybody should cheer the way they want

Posted Image

#124 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

I think that if this was ever to happen you'd have to work with the Canucks organisation and set up a "singing section". That way the fans that don't want to join in get to sit and "focus" on the game without the distractions, and the people who want to sing/chant are all contained in one area, where they're together and more likely to want to do so. Unfortunately I doubt they go along with it, and this wouldn't be able to happen until next season at the very earliest as you'd have to rearrange seating and tickets. I suppose you could send out a letter to ST holders, and have them state whether they'd be willing to chant/ create an atmosphere or not.

It's a lot of work to do though. If I come to Vancouver in the near future I'd be more than willing to help out. I think it'd be great to be unique for a change. Set the bar high in terms of support.

Edited by Sc♂ttish⑦Canuckô, 09 December 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#125 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkd8UAj7sh8

Nothing better.

How about one half of the arena sings "Oh oh ohhh oh", and then the other sings "Vancouver"? I think that would work well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeAeKb4GFsg

#126 Ovechkinator

Ovechkinator

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

How about one half of the arena sings "Oh oh ohhh oh", and then the other sings "Vancouver"? I think that would work well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeAeKb4GFsg

Hmm I wouldn't actually mind something like this and it if done right would be super awesome. However i'm not too sure the whole chanting thing will get much support in the lower bowl with all the corporate folk on their blackberrys and reading a book or some crap like that. Would be nice to see something different than the "Lets Go ______" and "Go ______ Go" chants

Posted Image

#127 Mr. Shakermaker

Mr. Shakermaker

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,322 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

come everything soccer away from my beloved hockey. Soccer is the most shockingly boring sport in the world, which is why the fans sing around and dance like a bunch of little girls the entire time. What else are they going to do? Actually watch the "action" on the field?
Posted Image

#128 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

come everything soccer away from my beloved hockey. Soccer is the most shockingly boring sport in the world, which is why the fans sing around and dance like a bunch of little girls the entire time. What else are they going to do? Actually watch the "action" on the field?

This is the view of the typical person that doesn't watch "soccer".

You don't get boring hockey games too? You've obviously never watched the Calgary Flames.

#129 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

Can we throw darts at each other too, thats very Euro as well.

formerly......puck n icehole

#130 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

Can we throw darts at each other too, thats very Euro as well.

I don't get it...

#131 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

Can't speak for everyone of course, but if you start singing beside me while i'm trying to watch the freakin' game, i'm slappin' you upside the freakin' head, Barry Manilow.

TOML

"If you kept the small rules, you could break the big ones."

You use your eyes to watch not your ears. Also, don't you want to help your team out by giving them a boost when they're down or something? Posted Image
Posted Image

#132 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

Cult O' Canuck?

#133 Mr. Shakermaker

Mr. Shakermaker

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,322 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

I don't get it...

might be a reference to the movie "the football factory"

and i'm talking about the majority of soccer games. Sure, i've seen very exciting soccer games in the euro and world cup before, but they are extremely rare
Posted Image

#134 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

It's all about challenging people to step out of their comfort zones. Here in North America, we're too worried about "looking like an idiot" or not looking "cool" and "tough" as fans, IMO. In Europe, people genuinely care less about what others think and do, and just do what they love and want to have fun. It's not just sporting events, it's the culture itself.

You are bang on. The culture in NA, especially in vancity is all about how you look amongst your fellow fans. You can totally tell where people were from just by how they were acting throughout the game. The folks from west van, north van and Richmond were sitting there with their hands folded and texting most of the game. For once can people forget about what the person next to you is thinking about your shirt you are wearing and maybe get off your arse and let loose.

My wife and I attend 2 games a year and can't believe the lifeless atmosphere at most reg season games at Rogers arena. I was so jealous watching the Habs nucks game last night. The building was electric. Even with the sub par product they throw on the ice. What most people at the games don't understand is what it cost to attend a game for the average blue collar working folk in BC. For a family of four it can cost up to a thousand dollars for one game. That's less than three hours of entertainment. I want season ticket holders to make it a memorable time for these types of people.

Just liven up a little people

If more and more fans begin to do this, it'll catch on and people will start to step out of their comfort zones, making this a norm at Canucks games.

It's like the Wave. Who the hell would've "loved" the idea of the wave the first time it was invented? Having to "get up and down" repeatedly while trying to watch the game... Psh!

jersey collection.jpg

#135 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:15 AM

I give up. This isn't going to catch on. Our fanbase is too boring.

#136 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:14 AM

That said, I am generally for things that promote fan unity..................but for me this suggestion has been poisoned by its association with European soccer crowds.

I suppose if someone came up with an incredibly relevant song for a Canucks game...maybe...

"Don't switch the blade on the guy in shades, oh no!"

You are so right. Scottish Football and half the songs sung is sick to the core. I hate the singing in Scottish Football. Keep the trend out of Ice Hockey. Football in Scotland in fact in Britain is boring compared to the NHL.
Kevin.jpg

#137 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:31 AM

Keep the wave OUT of the NHL. In soccer and sometimes rugby it is indicative of fan boredom and highlights a break in the crowds attention to the game.

On singing at a Sports Match. The only time I have ever thought it really appropriate was on this occasion. Hibernian Football Club are based in the riverside part of Edinburgh called Leith. Two of Hibernians(Hibs) most famous supporters are a couple of lads from Fife called the Proclaimers. They wrote this part hymn and part love song about the area. Here it is sang emotionally by Hibs fans after a Cup win.

Lyrics.

My tears are drying, my tears are drying
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou
My tears are drying, my tears are drying

Your beauty and kindness
Made tears clear my blindness
While I'm worth my room on this earth
I will be with you
While the Chief, puts Sunshine On Leith
I'll thank him for his work
And your birth and my birth.

My heart was broken, my heart was broken
Sorrow Sorrow Sorrow Sorrow
My heart was broken, my heart was broken

While I'm worth my room on this earth
I will be with you
While the Chief, puts Sunshine On Leith
I'll thank him for his work
And your birth and my birth.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zkGxNxiN8rU
Kevin.jpg

#138 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:32 AM

the Pub version.

Edited by Bodee, 10 December 2011 - 07:38 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#139 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:44 AM

This is a slippery slope...
If we start emulating European Soccer fans inside the arena, next thing you know we will start emulating them outside.

We will end up with hooligans roaming the streets smashing windows, fighting, setting cars on fire and.... oh wait, nevermind. ;)
Posted Image

#140 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

Love the idea!
European Sports fans > North american sports fans
Im sorry but its true! they have so much more passion for there teams over there, we could learn something from them.

i entirely disagree with this. There are four major sports in North America and all of them do very well in various markets. In Europe you have soccer. It's slow and needs the addition of chanting and singing to keep people interested. But there is one sport that matters and that is it. No competition and other sports will have their moments but realistically soccer is the only game in town. People love it but it doesn't make them better fans. People love hockey here.

In North America there are four team sports that seem to do very well. In each of those team sports there are various levels that also do well. In baseball you have the minor leagues and college ball plus the Major leagues. All receive decent levels of sport. Football is a beast! College football is crazy, the NFL rarely has an empty seat. High school football has major traction in some markets. College basketball is huge and the NBA is a major worldwide sports entity. In hockey you have college, junior, minor pro and the NHL and they all have support to sustain them.

Please don't say because soccer fans jump up and down they are better fans than fans of multiple sports in North America. This has always bothered me. Hockey doesn't lend itself to chanting or singing. There is a lot of action on the ice. Football is the same way. Fans get loud and emotional but when the game is on you want to see what will happen because you never know when you will see something awesome.

I guess you can make this into a debate about which sport you like better etc. but the reality is that the North American sport fan rejects soccer as a major sport. The MLS has some markets that do well but it isn't even close to the big three in the US or hockey here in Canada. Stop trying to make the games we love into soccer games. Enjoy the product on the ice, court, field, diamond etc because it is pretty good.

I love the spontaneous emotion at a sporting event. Setting up chants and planning it all out makes it contrived to me.

#141 lebleu29

lebleu29

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

So you stoop as low as personal attacks. Real nice.

If you don't like the idea, then that's alright, but resorting to calling me "mentally ill" is not going to make your point any more valid. I am sincerely disappointed in the CDC community for actually promoting this type of behavior by "plus'ing" him and all

Your right, i'm definately mentally ill for trying to come up with a new idea that I wanted people's opinions on. Your absolutely right bud, you hit the nail on the forehead.

Ok, relax. Guy's not calling you or making fun of people who are "mentally ill". It's just a thing people say.

Now back to the OP, I for one would be stoked and proud of our city if we started chants in the garage. People who are against the idea simply have no idea what it's like to be at a live sporting event where people aren't half asleep - like they are at Rogers Place.

I simply don't go to games anymore because it really isn't much different than sitting on my sofa in my living room these days.

I work at an international school, and my students often go to check out Canucks games. Every single one of them can't believe how boring the fans are at the games.

PS

Saw a Real Madrid game in Spain once. The most insane sporting event I have ever experienced. All because of the fans and what they put into the game.

#142 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

I love the spontaneous emotion at a sporting event. Setting up chants and planning it all out makes it contrived to me.

The problem is, this never happens at Rogers Arena. And when it does (e.g. a wave) people complain about it. They'd rather sit there quietly, then pop out at the end of the period for a beer and not come back until 5 minutes after play has resumed. It's pathetic.

You want spontaneous emotion? Watch a game involving Montreal. They've got it right over there. Perhaps it's because of the European feel of the city.

Soccer may be the most popular sport in Europe, but it's definitely not the only show in town as you seem to be suggesting.

Edited by Sc♂ttish⑦Canuckô, 10 December 2011 - 10:26 AM.

#143 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Well, since there's no hockey and there isn't much to talk about I thought I'd reignite this debate.

I maintain that the crowd getting more involved makes the game a more enjoyable experience. I was lucky enough to attend the Celtic - Barcelona game in the Champions League a few weeks ago, and it was the single best sporting event I've ever been to. Yeah, the result was fantastic but the experience would have been nothing if it wasn't for the incredible atmosphere.

#144 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Well, since there's no hockey and there isn't much to talk about I thought I'd reignite this debate.

I maintain that the crowd getting more involved makes the game a more enjoyable experience. I was lucky enough to attend the Celtic - Barcelona game in the Champions League a few weeks ago, and it was the single best sporting event I've ever been to. Yeah, the result was fantastic but the experience would have been nothing if it wasn't for the incredible atmosphere.

I maintain that you bring your idea to Kamloops for a WHL Blazers game....the crowd at the ISC is absoloutely dead most nights (should choose my words more carefully, as close to 75% of Blazer crowd are seniors). It's kind of embarrassing that we were once one of the loudest buildings in the league, and are now one of the quietest.

/=S=/

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.