The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Movement to start chanting/singing at Rogers Arena!

Hank Moody

The people that do the wave are idiots that barely know what's going on on the ice, I could hear the people sitting behind me askeing what happened on every damn whistle I almost turned around and asked them why they were even at a hockey game. They were among the people trying to get a wave going, perhaps they'd be more comfortable on a baseball diamond

The people that do the wave are idiots that barely know what's going on on the ice, I could hear the people sitting behind me askeing what happened on every damn whistle I almost turned around and asked them why they were even at a hockey game. They were among the people trying to get a wave going, perhaps they'd be more comfortable on a baseball diamond

There is something called home ice advantage why not take "advantage" of it and actually make something happen. I was at a Whitecaps game and it was awesome cause people were chanting things and singing and cheering and it just made the whole game sooo much fun. I hope you guys like hearing the skates hit the ice.

I was just at a couple of Brazilian football matches. You can't match the emotion and intensity of the fans, but we could try.

I couldn't help but think how great it would be to have Rogers Arena's environment feel that way, even if just momentarily and sporadically throughout the games - lets be honest, it's not football/soccer, and there's a lot to watch during the entire hockey game.

I think we should harness the emotions of Canucks fans, and embrace the hatred from other players, teams, fans and give them something more to hate, but in the way that it's entirely 100% positive for the Canucks. Make them jealous. Start trends (Think Towel Power).

It just takes one person to write an 'attack' song, over a few beers in a pub - put it on Youtube, the message boards, get it known, get it going. Get the boys going.

Co Canucks, Go Canuck fans!

i've always said that being at soccer games is far more entertaining than being at hockey games, purely because of the extreme lack of fan participation in home arenas for the NHL.

this idea that when we're watching the game, we're supposed to just sit and shut up is something I find completely contrary to the part of being a fan.

i cheer. i chant. i gawk. i taunt. i love. i emote with my team, unlike Rogers Arena, who you can only hear when we score.

Well, to be realistic, soccer isn't hockey. You don't really have to keep track of the action as much. That's why these kind of songs and random fan participation things originate, and then they're ingrained in not just soccer culture but European sports culture as well. A Canadian hockey game is a very different situation.

That being said, any effort to liven up the museum that is Rogers Arena would be nice. Yeah, I get you want to watch the game, but a hockey game is also a social experience. Jump up and down, wave your towels, do the wave, scream your head off. It's not like those activities are giant musicals which require your undivided attention. Canucks fans will never be singing songs during in-game action, or doing one of those "If you hate ____, sit down" things. But I would welcome it if it brings more participation and life to the game (even if I'd hate to hear us singing that Inward Eye jingle). I think you'll have to settle for chants and cheers though.

Go ahead and try to start one with enough buddies. See if it catches on.

I don't think the lack cheering and noise has anything to do with us being unenthusiastic.

It's more so that the tickets are super expensive and used by business people like it's a meeting place or time to talk on their phone.

That being said, I don't think we need to take anything from European fans.

I would love something like this to happen. I was watching the game today...we had the 5 minutes powerplay and some follow-up pp's after that and the Canucks couldn't get anything going. I could barely hear a "Go Canucks Go", they need energy to feed off of and the crowd was just "meh". We get our 4th goal and everyones nuts "GO CANUCKS GO", seriously? I don't entirely buy that business crowd reason either(although its somewhat true). Refer to other games including play-off games where the crowd does cheer, regardless of/including the bizniz peeps - I don't find it a good enough excuse. I also agree with one of the posters above about Vancouver fans being snotty. The first thing that would need to happen to get something like this going is trash the "get your buds first and see how it turns out" method of thinking. Pushing this into our hockey culture will be a challenge, but it's definitely doable...all it takes are a few one game and a few the next.

I grew up with soccer and loved the atmosphere at the games in England BUT it just doesn't fit here. This isn't a knock on the fans or anything. It just feels weird with hockey and if there's anything I hate about Whitecaps games it's the fake English yobbo accents adopted for the chanting and singing. Hockey is a different sport. As someone already mentioned, it's faster and you need to follow it more closely. There's less time to get into any singing. Chanting's different. We already chant, but there's less said (wow - Go Canucks Go - pretty weak). "Vancouver" + "Canucks" is pretty damned awkward don't you think? If you really want to try it, you'd need a group sitting together to start it and to keep it going. Maybe others will pick it up but I have my doubts.

Archived