Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Speeding ticket

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Speeding ticket (18 member(s) have cast votes)

will a ticket reset my 24 month probation

1. oh it definately will bud.. (4 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. I think so...but im to drunk to say... (4 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. no it wont...and the maple leafs suck (10 votes [55.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 canuckspride

canuckspride

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

hey,

so I rarely drive but the past week ive had to and have never bothered to upgrade my license from an N to a full license and today i got a speeding ticket and of course, i didnt have my N sign on the car,

question is, does that ticket reset my 24 month probation period?

if it does...man that sucks. but i cant seem to find any info on icbc website

Edited by canuckspride, 10 December 2011 - 10:01 PM.

#2 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:09 PM

One ticket won't do that.

It's all about the amount of points you accumulate.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#3 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,733 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

It doesn't. What resets it is if you get your license suspended.

You must wait longer than 24 months to qualify for a full-privilege licence if you are prohibited from driving, or if your driver's licence is:

cancelled
surrendered
suspended, or
expired.

While you are unlicensed, your progress through the stages of graduated licensing is stopped.

Once you have your licence reinstated after a prohibition, your 24-month novice stage will start over from the beginning.

http://www.icbc.com/...ng/novice-stage

#4 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,058 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

The only thing it cancels is your ability to take your class 5 license class earlier if you took a GLP driving school course.

How fast were you going.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#5 SCORGASMS v4

SCORGASMS v4

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

no it doesnt.. many of my friends got speeding tickets, too many people, no "N" violations and they didn't get it taken away.. you have to get like 6-7 points for you to lose your license at which point you must reset your 24 month probation

I've got another month and a half til i can get rid of mine and I (luckily) never got a ticket for anything..

I've driven with extra people, sped, driving baked, barely ever have my N but I got lucky many times..

Best of luck to you and hopefully you never get caught for any violations

#6 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

IB4:
"you're a bad driver" "Speed Kills" "You should lose your license" "WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?"

But really, if you pay the ticket, you'll be fine I'm sure.

Posted Image

#7 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,851 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

ICBC.com under about the graduated license:

The novice (N) licence stage:

For the novice (N) stage some of the learner’s (L) licence stage restrictions are removed.

You will be eligible to take the second Class 5 road test to exit the GLP after 24 months of prohibition-free driving in the Novice (N) licence stage. Once you pass this test, you will graduate to your full-privilege driver's licence.

If you don't have enough points to be prohibited you should still be able to take your test.

By the way Hornet speed is only one component. But there is a lot of people killed every year because of speed. Simply because people don't understand physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3TY3JmM64
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#8 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

"I've driven with extra people, sped, driving baked,"

Stay the hell off the road when you are impaired.
I very seldom call people names but change your behaviour or forever be labeled as an self centered moron.

#9 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

One thing no one has pointed out:

For some one to have their license suspended is three points.

Been there done that. If you have any other infractions and will be receiving the dreadful letter, one course of action to avoid this mess is to sign up for your road test asap.

If you have your class 5 by the time the bureaucrat in victoria (can't remember the title) receives your file, I'm pretty sure you are okay.

It worked for me. The other thing is don't speed but that's pretty straight forward. Buy a slower vehicle.
Posted Image

#10 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

no it doesnt.. many of my friends got speeding tickets, too many people, no "N" violations and they didn't get it taken away.. you have to get like 6-7 points for you to lose your license at which point you must reset your 24 month probation

I've got another month and a half til i can get rid of mine and I (luckily) never got a ticket for anything..

I've driven with extra people, sped, driving baked, barely ever have my N but I got lucky many times..

Hopefully, he'll never get caught if he runs someone over.

Very smart, dude.

#11 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

I very seldom call people names but change your behaviour or forever be labeled as an self centered moron.

Apparently, there's no statistical increase in the accident rate with baked drivers.

#12 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

hey,

so I rarely drive but the past week ive had to and have never bothered to upgrade my license from an N to a full license and today i got a speeding ticket and of course, i didnt have my N sign on the car,

question is, does that ticket reset my 24 month probation period?

if it does...man that sucks. but i cant seem to find any info on icbc website

Here's an idea.

Don't get so cocky as a new driver and learn to have some respect for the traffic laws and the road. A car driven recklessly can easily KILL SOMEONE!

#13 Steven Stamkos

Steven Stamkos

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

If you excede 5 points on your license you will get it suspended and will not be able to do the class five test for a certain period of time (you will get a letter stating when you can write it again). When you go to pay for your ticket ask them how many points the ticket was towards your license, with it being speeding chances are it will be two or three. If you're worried about it dispute your ticket and depending on where you live it can be a lengthy delay and your ticket is on hold (I still have a year and a half to go to court and I asked to go 6 months ago), in that time try and take your class five test and then you won't have to worry about it.
Posted Image
Credit to: Ballard_4

#14 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

If you know nothing about weed, don't make up facts.
Posted Image

#15 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

What's it like, having no regard for the safety of others, let alone yourself?

#16 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

"If you know nothing about weed, don't make up facts'

I know enough about weed to ralize it impairs your judgement and reactions.try doing a little reading.-and perhaps a little less toking.

#17 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

I know enough about weed to ralize it impairs your judgement and reactions.try doing a little reading.-and perhaps a little less toking.

Don't you think somebody who actually smokes weed knows more about it and its effects than somebody who just read about it

#18 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

There are studies that go both ways but most studies show a link between decreased ability to drive and cannabis impairment and even more a link between combined use of cannabis and alcohol.

The federal government's Department of Transportation conducted research with a fully interactive simulator on the effects of alcohol and marijuana, alone and in combination, on driver-controlled behavior and performance. "The Effects of Alcohol on Driver-Controlled Behavior in a Driving Simulator, Phase I", DOT-HS-806-414. The study found that alcohol consistently and significantly caused impairment -- but that marijuana had only an occasional effect. Further, there was little evidence of interaction between alcohol and marijuana. Finally, speeding tickets and accidents went up with the use of alcohol, but no marijuana or combined alcohol-marijuana influence was noted.

Coming to a different conclusion, however, the California Department of Justice found that marijuana does impair impair driving skills, particularly at high-dose levels or among inexperienced users. "Marijuana and Alcohol: A Driver Performance Study", California Office of Traffic Safety Project No. 087902.

And these studies:

Marijuana

THC affects areas of the brain that control the body’s movements, balance, coordination, memory, and judgment, as well as sensations. Because these effects are multifaceted, more research is required to understand marijuana’s impact on the ability of drivers to react to complex and unpredictable situations. However, we do know that—

A meta-analysis of approximately 60 experimental studies—including laboratory, driving simulator, and on-road experiments—found that behavioral and cognitive skills related to driving performance were impaired in a dose-dependent fashion with increasing THC blood levels.
12 Berghaus G, Sheer N, Schmidt P. Effects of cannabis on psychomotor skills and driving performance–A meta-analysis of experimental studies. In CN Kloeden and AJ McLean (eds.), Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety. Adelaide, Australia: The University of Adelaide, NHMRC Road Accident Research Unit, pp. 403–409, 1995.

Evidence from both real and simulated driving studies indicates that marijuana can negatively affect a driver’s attentiveness, perception of time and speed, and ability to draw on information obtained from past experiences.

A study of over 3,000 fatally injured drivers in Australia showed that when marijuana was present in the blood of the driver, he or she was much more likely to be at fault for the accident. Additionally, the higher the THC concentration, the more likely the driver was to be culpable.
13 Drummer OH, Gerostamoulos J, Batziris H, Chu M, Caplehorn J, Robertson MD, Swann P. The involvement of drugs in drivers of motor vehicles killed in Australian road traffic crashes. Accid Anal Prev 36(2):239–248, 2004.

Research shows that impairment increases significantly when marijuana use is combined with alcohol. Studies have found that many drivers who test positive for alcohol also test positive for THC, making it clear that drinking and drugged driving are often linked behaviors.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Marijuana and alcohol combined severely impede driving performance. Ann Emer Med 35(4):398–399, 2000.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#19 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

[/size]

Don't you think somebody who actually smokes weed knows more about it and its effects than somebody who just read about it

No.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#20 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,733 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

[/size]

That's only one person though. If I'm taking results from a peer-reviewed article, that's much more valid than one person's experience.

#21 John316

John316

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

Call ICBC...they probably know.

#22 niklas

niklas

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

I'm not entirely certain, but I have a decent idea since I've had my license suspended 3 times for speeding, but now have my class 5. You should be ok with your first ticket, but if you get another, you lose your license. After that, your probation resets another 2 years, and any other ticket after that will immediately take your license again.

I had already talked to ICBC on this subject when I went through this same thing. They told me that because I am on probation with my N, any ticket I receive will take my license. And I just so happened to get a ticket for no N. A simple $25 fine cost me my license for 5 months.

#23 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:56 PM

Yes, of course, because reading substitutes first hand experience right?

I bet you're the type of person that believes everything they see on TV or read in a newspaper too. :bored:
Posted Image

#24 SCORGASMS v4

SCORGASMS v4

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

What's it like, having no regard for the safety of others, let alone yourself?

I do have regard for safety.. I don't speed unless i can see it's clear.. everyone speeds gimme a break

#25 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:46 AM

Yes, of course, because reading substitutes first hand experience right?

I bet you're the type of person that believes everything they see on TV or read in a newspaper too. :bored:

Well I am having trouble believing the stupidty of some of what I read here.

#26 Schneider's Teeth

Schneider's Teeth

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:49 AM

Dude, it impairs your judgement. That's the whole "getting high" thing. Try reading a book when high. Or, try reading a book ever.
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
OVERSIZED SIGNATURE OVERSIZED SIGNATURE

#27 Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

Does it impair as much as alcohol? No.
But if you truly have first hand experience, you would think you would have the knowledge to realize it still does impair your judgment...

#28 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:33 AM

Dude, it impairs your judgement. That's the whole "getting high" thing. Try reading a book when high. Or, try reading a book ever.

I do. Both, and in university with a high B average.
Posted Image

#29 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:35 AM

Does it impair as much as alcohol? No.
But if you truly have first hand experience, you would think you would have the knowledge to realize it still does impair your judgment...

Depends what you consider impaired? Driving EXTRA slow, and triple checking everything because you are paranoid you are doing something wrong?

Then yes, very impaired.

I will however agree that the effects are different with everyone, some people CANNOT handle it.
Posted Image

#30 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:37 AM

Well I am having trouble believing the stupidty of some of what I read here.

That's normal, this is CDC ;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.