Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Private High Schools

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#31 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

There is a slight difference from Private schools (ie. Van College) and Catholic schools (Notre Dame). In Catholic schools, it isn't as structured and definitely not as expensive: therefore, not everyone is filthy rich

Vancouver College is a Catholic school. I went there from Grade 8 to 12 and loved every moment of it even though it is an all-guys school. The system is great, the teachers are excellent, and not to mention their fitness center and gymnasiums are fantastic. If the guy going into grade 10 wants to become a more mature person in the future, although I'm not saying other students from other schools won't, VC will definitely teach you to be punctual and be organized with yourself as well as prepare you well for university. One thing though, if you're planning on taking AP courses, I suggest you don't go to VC just because they only have AP Calculus. No other AP courses. If not, then why not go to VC? It's a great school and community.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#32 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

There is a slight difference from Private schools (ie. Van College) and Catholic schools (Notre Dame). In Catholic schools, it isn't as structured and definitely not as expensive: therefore, not everyone is filthy rich

I do believe that Catholic schools will give entrance preference to Catholics first (kinda makes sense). It is cheaper and students can often get a bursary from their own parishes. I was admitted into LFA but never went but from what I heard from my friends there is "apparently" less coddling of students and more emphasis on religious education.

By coddling I'm referring to rules such as students can't have more than 3 exams in a week, or giving students re-writes on tests if they score less than a certain percentage. I don't mean to say that there aren't private school students who are actually smart and work hard for their grades...but all it seems is they pay lots of money to get inflated grades.

#33 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

So many judgmental posts in this thread it is quite funny.

First of all there is a wide spectrum of private schools throughout the province. They are as different to public schools as they are to each other.

I'm not going to cast judgement on how people spend their money. Especially when it comes to something as important as education. People are free to do what they want.

My own philosophy is that a person has it within them to determine what they make of the environment they find themselves in. Alot of students won't take advantage of the opportunities a private school would present them.

I spent grades 1-7 in a public school and 8-12 in a private school. I'd send any kids of mine to a secular private school.

#34 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Ok so I got into Notre Dame and I am wondering if you guys have any stories about it. I met the new principle twice and he seems really nice. I saw the school and it seems VERY nice aswell.

#35 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

I went to public school and got into every university I applied too and I grew up in an extremely small town surrounded by losers who smoked weed and barely got through high school. In my grad class, over half the grade probably went on to post sec (highly surprising for the school).

I also have been doing quite well in my university schooling. I felt more prepared than kids I know who did IB/AP in their high school days and kids who went to almost every private school in Vancouver. No IB/AP programs were even offered at my high school.

Most of the smartest kids I know went to public high schools.

As a business major (and future CA) I quickly realized that it seriouslyyy does not matter what school you attend as long as you have the drive to do well.
Posted Image

#36 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

Vancouver College is a Catholic school. I went there from Grade 8 to 12 and loved every moment of it even though it is an all-guys school. The system is great, the teachers are excellent, and not to mention their fitness center and gymnasiums are fantastic.

I'm sure there was lots of fun to be had in the shower room afterwards. :P

If the guy going into grade 10 wants to become a more mature person in the future, although I'm not saying other students from other schools won't, VC will definitely teach you to be punctual and be organized with yourself as well as prepare you well for university.

Isn't that the parents' job?

#37 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

I went to public school and got into every university I applied too and I grew up in an extremely small town surrounded by losers who smoked weed and barely got through high school. In my grad class, over half the grade probably went on to post sec (highly surprising for the school).

Is that because most of the losers had already dropped out before they made it to grad class?

#38 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

Ok so I got into Notre Dame and I am wondering if you guys have any stories about it. I met the new principle twice and he seems really nice. I saw the school and it seems VERY nice aswell.

Congrats on being accepted. As a graduate of ND, I can say without a doubt that it is indeed a fine school.

Join the football program. Great way to meet and make new friends. It's tough the 1st year, but stick with it. I promise you it'll pay off physically and socially.

Guys who excelled on the field and in the class were respected. Be smart, be athletic, it's your passport to success at ND.

Have a great 1st year.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#39 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

Congrats on being accepted. As a graduate of ND, I can say without a doubt that it is indeed a fine school.

Join the football program. Great way to meet and make new friends. It's tough the 1st year, but stick with it. I promise you it'll pay off physically and socially.

Guys who excelled on the field and in the class were respected. Be smart, be athletic, it's your passport to success at ND.

Have a great 1st year.

I would suggest that your last piece of advice is your passport to a successful life :)

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.