The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mark Messier believes he's still owed money from his days with the Canucks

R.Luongo.1

My understanding is that he was to be paid this deferred money based on the value of the franchise increasing over the term of his contract. It is my humble contention that the value of the Canuck franchise actually decreased based upon his indifferent play and disruptive ego driven crap shown while he was here. (don't get me started on how much I HATE this man). He should in fact pay us for the damage he did while he was here

• 5 months later...

An update:

@JSportsnet: As we prepare for NYR-NJ, MMessier's arb case vs Canucks continues in NY. Hearing is in front of independant arbitrator. Messier claims his 3 year contract with Van had a provision in it that gave him a bonus if team was sold for a profit. In question is profit of the transaction from John McCaw to Aquillinis. BBurke,Canucks GM at end of Messier's contract on stand yesterday

An update:

@JSportsnet: As we prepare for NYR-NJ, MMessier's arb case vs Canucks continues in NY. Hearing is in front of independant arbitrator. Messier claims his 3 year contract with Van had a provision in it that gave him a bonus if team was sold for a profit. In question is profit of the transaction from John McCaw to Aquillinis. BBurke,Canucks GM at end of Messier's contract on stand yesterday

An update:

Im no lawyer either but i think when you buy an organization you also assume there liabilities as well.

Im confused by why its taken so long for messier to figure this out. I didnt like him while he was here, before he was her or since.

Other than the fact he is hated ij Van, does anyone have any information that actually allows for an educated opinion. I suspect this will be handled by the arbitrator and until then structure without real info.

Archived