The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mark Messier believes he's still owed money from his days with the Canucks

R.Luongo.1

What a strange clause. I would think that that provision would only be applicable during the term of his contract, as he may presumably be considered part of the assets to the company. Actually they should look at the termination terms ie. all terms of the agreement cease upon the termination date or as otherwise stated herein. There should actually have to be a provision in the agreement that would specifically state that the bonus sale clause survive the termination of the agreement for it to still be in effect after the contract has been terminated or expired, etc, which I don't think any lawyer/company would agree to. Actually I don't believe that this clause would be in a player's contract. This seems like a hoax. Why would a solitary player benefit from the dealings of a company, when execs don't even get that kind of bonus and they are more intricately involved with the successes of a company moreso then a seasonal player.

So, wouldn't the clause in his contract end when the contract is bought out?

Did the sale happen in the time that he was under contract by the Canucks?

If a player has a clause in their contract that gives them a bonus if the team makes the playoffs, but is bought out halfway through the season, then does he still get a bonus when the team makes the playoffs?

Archived