The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mark Messier believes he's still owed money from his days with the Canucks

R.Luongo.1

I must ask. You speak as if you've seen the details of the contract, and know where the issue lies. You make it sound as if it's black and white, "Mark Messier gets paid $6m per year, for 3 years".

As I stated earlier, I'm sure there's some grey area in there, where he feels he's entitled to percentages of certain incomes the team made, or incentive bonus' etc. Clearly the team disagrees with what he feels he's owed, or this wouldn't still be dragging on. Teams don't often just not pay people. I'm sure it's much more complex than you're making it seem, and both sides feel they're correct.

Fact is, his heart was never in Vancouver. Messier believed his own hype, and thought he'd be worshiped here, like he was in NY. But when he was actually held accountable, and received backlash for some of the choices he made, (Demanding #11 got him off to a bad start, followed by hanging Trevor out to dry over the captaincy), he got all butthurt, and just played out his time here, so he could go back to a city where he could have his godlike status, from fans who love a team cuz they're told to. He may have signed here with good intentions, honestly believing he could help the team. But it really seemed like he quit on this team pretty quickly when he became the most hated player on the team. The only place he was visible was in interviews after losses, as you barely noticed him on the ice, even though he led all forwards in ice time.

"Confidentiality is commonly applied to conversations between doctors and patients. Legal protections prevent physicians from revealing certain discussions with patients, even under oath in court.[6] This physician-patient privilege only applies to secrets shared between physician and patient during the course of providing medical care"

He's disclosed no medical information, nor specific conversations or events. He simply stated that he's basically not a likable person. Have fun with that one in court...

"Confidentiality is commonly applied to conversations between doctors and patients. Legal protections prevent physicians from revealing certain discussions with patients, even under oath in court.[6] This physician-patient privilege only applies to secrets shared between physician and patient during the course of providing medical care"

He's disclosed no medical information, nor specific conversations or events. He simply stated that he's basically not a likable person. Have fun with that one in court...

That Wikipedia statement may have some limited application to the US of A but that is not true in Canada and in particular in BC.

I have been involved in privacy issues for many years (back to mid 1970's) and have lectured to med and law students in the past on these issues. One of my friends is in charge of discipline for the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons and we have discussed such matters in detail over the years.

I have also been involved in preparing materials for doctors distributed via BCMA, College of Physicians and Surgeons working with the Office of the Information and privacy Commissioner of BC. This is mandated not only under The BC Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) but also the code of conduct from the oversight agencies of BC doctors (and other medical professionals.) The identity of a patient is considered to be confidential information. And the confidentiality obligations of medical professionals and their employees is a continuing obligation. It does not expire.

From the BCMA Privacy Toolkit:

Confidentiality Agreement for Physician Office Employees

The BC Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) legally governs personal information collected, used, stored, and disclosed by this medical practice. As such, you are required to acknowledge each term of this agreement:

I am aware that personal information of both patients and employees that is collected, used, stored, and disclosed, that comes to my attention as a result of my employment with this medical practice, must be kept confidential and secure as per PIPA and the office’s policies, both during and after my term of employment.

I understand and agree that it is my responsibility to be familiar with the practice’s policies and procedures regarding privacy, confidentiality and security of personal information and that I am expected to comply.

I will access and use personal information of patients only on a “need to know” basis as it pertains to my role and responsibilities.

I will only share personal information with individuals who need to know and who are also involved in providing health care services to the patient.

 I will strive to keep patient personal information accurate and up-to-date.

 I understand that I cannot access my own personal information or that of family, friends, or co-workers unless they are under my direct care or if I need to do so as part of my official duties and responsibilities with the practice.

 Should I have reason to believe that a privacy breach has occurred, I will notify the individual responsible for privacy in the office.

 I hereby acknowledge that failure to comply with these terms can lead to disciplinary action, which may include termination of access, termination of employment, withdrawal of privileges, termination of contract, and/or professional sanctions.

https://www.bcma.org/files/Confidentiality_Agreement_for_Physician_Office_Employees.pdf

The same confidentiality obligations apply to lawyers and their employees as well. It is one of the reasons I do not identify past clients, including players that I represented as their agent.

Note that in every one of those terms, it specifically states "personal information". I don't think he told us any "personal information" of Mark Messier's. Again, he simply stated that he's not a very nice person. So thank you for the clear description which illustrates my point just as accurately

Archived