The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mark Messier believes he's still owed money from his days with the Canucks

R.Luongo.1

Maybe someone can fill me in, but why does everyone hate Messier so much?? I know we signed him for mucho $$ and he didn't lead us to the promised land, but it is not his fault we offered him so much... if anything hate the GM. I watched every game he ever played for the canucks and trust me it's not his fault we sucked so bad. It takes more than 1 man to win hockey games.

I would think that this issue doesn't really relate to the current ownership. The current ownership would have bought the team under the assumption that financial accounts are accurate. I can't see how they would be legally liable.

Mediation basically means the two sides are going to meet and talk. I would assume they are doing this first to avoid any conflict and out of courtesy. The nucks want to avoid looking bad on this so they probably had no choice but to honor the proposal - however this doesn't mean anything.

However, while I am not a lawyer I don't see how a new ownership can be responsible if some irregularities did occur. I would think his claims would apply to the old owner.

Maybe someone can fill me in, but why does everyone hate Messier so much?? I know we signed him for mucho $$ and he didn't lead us to the promised land, but it is not his fault we offered him so much... if anything hate the GM. I watched every game he ever played for the canucks and trust me it's not his fault we sucked so bad. It takes more than 1 man to win hockey games.

I would think that this issue doesn't really relate to the current ownership. The current ownership would have bought the team under the assumption that financial accounts are accurate. I can't see how they would be legally liable.

Mediation basically means the two sides are going to meet and talk. I would assume they are doing this first to avoid any conflict. However, while I am not a lawyer I don't see how a new ownership can be responsible if some irregularities did occur. I would think his claims would apply to the old owner.

He can be paid with a size 14 foot, clad in a freshly sharpened skate, aimed at his fat rear for what he did here. Owed money? Pfffft....... only our scorn, derision and downright loathing is the currency with which he should be paid.

Maybe someone can fill me in, but why does everyone hate Messier so much?? I know we signed him for mucho $ and he didn't lead us to the promised land, but it is not his fault we offered him so much... if anything hate the GM. I watched every game he ever played for the canucks and trust me it's not his fault we sucked so bad. It takes more than 1 man to win hockey games.

Since when does a player have say in player movement? You think Keenan went and asked Mess for his advice before every trade?

I hate Kennan as much as the next guy for trading away Linden, but do you really think Mess had a hand in that? Fact is that the Canucks were in a rebuilding phase and they though bringing in Mess would keep them competitive. Didn't work out that way, but blaming it all on one player seems kind of harsh to me. Especially a player that is one of Canada's greatest ever.

Even though I despise Messier, I almost agree with this post. But, it was the owner, not the GM who is to blame.

He played well while he was here. The team imploded around him, due to his ego and his relationship with Keenan. But he was the best player on the team for a couple of years.

Signing him in the first place was the real issue. John McCaw was desperate to grab a high profile player, and went over Pat Quinn's head to do so.

Quinn knew Messier wouldn't fit with the team here at the time, but McCaw had 0 hockey knowledge and figured adding a future hall of famer would increase the teams value.

That was the beginning of the end for the Quinn/Linden/Mclean/Bure era.

Even though that was the darkest time in Nucks history, it was a crucial factor in building the current squad. If not for Linden being traded, the Canucks wouldn't have The Sedins today, and wouldn't have experienced the Bertuzzi years. Sure it hurt like hell to see Mclean, Adams, Linden, Odjick, Babych and co. traded away but the draft picks, prospects and players we got in return were the pieces Burke used to build the foundation for the current team.

Having said all that, to get back on topic, #*@! Messier. The guy always has been, and always will be a douchebag.

In that case, I think Mess did have input in player moves.

Keenan got hired here because Messier was John McCaw's poster boy, and HE wanted Keenan onboard. Most people close to the team at the time know that Messier had major influence in what went on. He had The Coach/GM and team owner in his pocket.

Messier and his agent convinced McCaw that he was the future of the Canucks, and what he said was taken as Gospel at the time.

Archived