Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Mark Messier believes he's still owed money from his days with the Canucks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
233 replies to this topic

#91 vancityEl

vancityEl

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:13 AM

I think Messier owes me a couple of bucks actually - for tickets that I bought during the lowest point in the clubs history....I was so happy when they let the moose loose!

#92 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:16 AM

Mark Messier can eat Keenan's rancid feces if he wants any money from Vancouver.

I think Canucks fans might pony up to watch that.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#93 Dipseydoodle

Dipseydoodle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

I'll be interested to see how this unfolds. It's already been pushed back from 2007, and who knows if he is looking for the full amount, or if management will attempt to pay him a partial lump sum. I hope that it is resolved quickly. Vancouver really doesn't need another black mark against it from 'failure to pay money owed' ie Bure, and Larionov (sp?)

#94 M. Grabner

M. Grabner

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

Someone needs to make a sign:

"Messier, you owe us fans money for your play here. There's my 2cents, keep the change."

#95 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

This is one of those threads where I would love to come in rip apart posters for comments and incorrect facts.

But really the comments here speak for themselves.

I will say this, there are a lot of Dave Bollands in this thread.
CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#96 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

The mention of Messier is a nightmare.

Who needs bad dreams of ugly men without class so close to Christmas?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#97 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,889 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

I believe the Canucks are still owed play from Mark Messier's days collecting money from the Canucks.

#98 Panjodh

Panjodh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

I seriously hate that guy..... I feel like slapping him across the face

#99 Zach Parise

Zach Parise

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

Protest this !

#100 Peter Gunn

Peter Gunn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

Don't award him any money, just give him what he deserves.

Posted Image

CHIP ?????

Honestly, in that commercial he wasn't offering the kid a chip, he was asking the kid what it was. GENIUS!!!

#101 Lemieux

Lemieux

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

He probably got it wrong.

He should give money to the Canucks for his awful play and the C back to Trevor.
This signature is not blank.

#102 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:30 PM

Him and mike keenan can just go f themselves.

And remember Vancouver organization, can $ was .60 cents on the usd back then!

#103 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

This is awesome.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#104 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

Mark Messier's contract was with the Vancouver Canucks - not with the fans. The only relevant consideration are the terms of that contract and whether or not the Canucks have an obligation to pay him under the terms of that contract.

His perceived level of performance is not relevant to the claim.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#105 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

Mark Messier's contract was with the Vancouver Canucks - not with the fans. The only relevant consideration are the terms of that contract and whether or not the Canucks have an obligation to pay him under the terms of that contract.

His perceived level of performance is not relevant to the claim.

you posted in canucks talks for once.......anyways Mark Messier does not have money left? This is really stupid and I doubt the canucks will give him what he wants...please no!

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 16 December 2011 - 01:03 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#106 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

you posted in canucks talks for once.......anyways Mark Messier does not have money left? This is really stupid and I doubt the canucks will give him what he wants...please no!

This thread is a prime example as to why he doesn't post in Canucks Talk.

It's not what he 'wants' it's about what is legally owed to him.

It also doesn't matter what his current financial situation is like.
CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#107 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

I rarely post in Canucks Talk due to the presence of a number of pre-pubescent morons who make it impossible to carry on an informed discussion or debate.

In this case I am pointing out the legal considerations that govern this claim under a subsisting contract - Messier's wealth, what the Canucks want to do, what fans may think of messier personally, etc, have no relevance.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#108 SkateLogoWasBetter

SkateLogoWasBetter

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

Just when I thought there couldn't be one more scorn-ament to add to his Christmas tree, Messier goes and puts a bright star of stupidity on his enormous Neanderthal head.

I don't care if he's owed money, he didn't earn the money he was paid. He should be counter-sued for breach of contract seeing as he obviously didn't play with any heart or to his talent.

Let me give you an analogy: In 1997, Messier and the Rangers are married. The Canucks were the lover who is told by a married woman that she is single. Messier is the proverbial whore, playing petty games to show her husband what he is missing. Messier's heart was never in it, he was just going through the motions like a high school girl suffering from an incessant need for attention. Then the whore leaves after 3 loveless, uninspired years with no explanation of why she acted like a spoiled child and goes back to the whipped hubby. Now she wants more money? You'd think Messier would have more class than that but considering his prior relationship, once a whore.....
Posted Image">

My expansive Sami Salo Game worn collection: sami-salo.webs.com

#109 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

Just when I thought there couldn't be one more scorn-ament to add to his Christmas tree, Messier goes and puts a bright star of stupidity on his enormous Neanderthal head.

I don't care if he's owed money, he didn't earn the money he was paid. He should be counter-sued for breach of contract seeing as he obviously didn't play with any heart or to his talent.

Let me give you an analogy: In 1997, Messier and the Rangers are married. The Canucks were the lover who is told by a married woman that she is single. Messier is the proverbial whore, playing petty games to show her husband what he is missing. Messier's heart was never in it, he was just going through the motions like a high school girl suffering from an incessant need for attention. Then the whore leaves after 3 loveless, uninspired years with no explanation of why she acted like a spoiled child and goes back to the whipped hubby. Now she wants more money? You'd think Messier would have more class than that but considering his prior relationship, once a whore.....

All of which is completely and totally irrelevant to a claim under contract.

Your analogy is flawed - apples and orangutans.

This is a contract freely entered into between two competent parties bargaining over a contract worth millions with legal advisors on both sides. McCaw is a billionaire business man reputed to be a very tough negotiator and he most assuredly knew what the terms of the contract were. Here the parties entered into a contract fully knowing the risks involved that contract will be enforceable pursuant to its terms.

#110 SkateLogoWasBetter

SkateLogoWasBetter

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:44 PM

All of which is completely and totally irrelevant to a claim under contract.

Your analogy is flawed - apples and orangutans.

This is a contract freely entered into between two competent parties bargaining over a contract worth millions with legal advisors on both sides. McCaw is a billionaire business man reputed to be a very tough negotiator and he most assuredly knew what the terms of the contract were. Here the parties entered into a contract fully knowing the risks involved that contract will be enforceable pursuant to its terms.

It can be argued, wearing a jersey and skating around the ice lethargically to obtain a large sum of money under the pretense of being a player for that team and actually playing for the team, are two different things. A contract says he will play for them, I'd argue he never actually did. Therefore he is in breach and actually owes the Canucks money, not vice versa.
Posted Image">

My expansive Sami Salo Game worn collection: sami-salo.webs.com

#111 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

He run out of money for coke?

Nope, he ran out of Lays chips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5xC9E7sIck

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#112 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

It can be argued, wearing a jersey and skating around the ice lethargically to obtain a large sum of money under the pretense of being a player for that team and actually playing for the team, are two different things. A contract says he will play for them, I'd argue he never actually did. Therefore he is in breach and actually owes the Canucks money, not vice versa.

You could argue it but it would still be irrelevant to the contractual claim.

Brian Burke who was playing at being a lawyer tried a similar claim during the Krutov transfer arbitration and was blown out of the water. The Canucks ended up paying the principal sum owed, interest and the full legal fees of the opposing parties.

Edited by Wetcoaster, 16 December 2011 - 01:54 PM.

#113 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:05 PM

Unless it is specifically outlined in the contract, he is allowed to put forth whatever effort he wants as far as I know.

#114 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

In reality he may be owed money, I don't know.

In terms of general principle all he is owed is a kick in the pills.

#115 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,736 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

Only if there were performance clauses...

Right now, you're paying a guy to show up. That's pretty much it

#116 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

Those Lay's commericals aren't paying the bills i guess

#117 Wolfhard

Wolfhard

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

And remember Vancouver organization, can $ was .60 cents on the usd back then!

So this might be how intelligent our ownership is. Skip out on his money back then, and pay him now, when we're almost par? Genius!!! haha

But in all seriousness, there have been a few good points mixed in here. If it's in his contract, he deserves the money, as he negotiated it, and ownership agreed to it. But clearly there must be some discrepancy in that contract, or he'd have been paid in full years ago, so we could all forget about the biggest mistake in the history of this team (bigger than Cam Neely). I don't think anyone wants to keep the book open on our team's relationship with that arrogant, heartless, overrated, piece of trash.
My stance on the Canucks;
- Schneider should not be traded. Luongo can be great, but is inconsistent. Schneider means more to us as a capable backup than what he could bring in a trade.
- We need toughness that can play. Top lines would be great, but I'll take it anywhere I can get it. As long as he doesn't hurt his line, I'm happy.
- We need a meaner net-clearing defenceman. Mobility is a plus.
- Ballard is a good player in a bad situation. He's not being used effectively. I believe he can succeed, but a move would be good for him too.
- Raymond is skilled, but needs to change his game or size to be more effective. Booth negates him in the top 6.
Read the above before attacking my comments, so you know where they're coming from. Once you've read, attack away if you please.

#118 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

Only if there were performance clauses...

Right now, you're paying a guy to show up. That's pretty much it

In the NHL SPC there is an amorphous "best efforts" clause that has little enforceability.

And if the player shows up out of shape the best you can do is suspend him until such time as he gets himself into shape - remember Keith Tkachuk coming back badly out of shape after the lockout?
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2164024

#119 sharnhayre

sharnhayre

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

He should give us money back for the performance or lack there of.....

#120 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

He should give us money back for the performance or lack there of.....

Why?

And under what legal theory?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.