The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you a Fake Fan?

Try Again

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Exactly what s/he said. Who says that all the fake fans are from surrey? Why can't they be from Vancouver as well? I've lived in surrey my whole life I am a fan, where ever I go I'm proud to show that and whenever i see/hear people say bad things about the nux i don't get shy away, I go to pick out an arguement against them or you know have a talk. I know many people who are diehard fans that are in surrey. In fact I probably know more true fans in Surreythan I do inVanfouver. Fake fans are everywhere not just in Surrey.

What makes you think being a true canuck fans benefits are? aside from knowing each players name, spending hours on this forum, and creating rather pointless threads as this...really...there is no benefit. being a casual fan is okay, and if you are going to criticize people for that i am sorry for you.

what attracted you to the canucks? for me it was the amazing play of pavel bure. before that i could have cared less. so perhaps the stanley cup run will "transform" some of these fake fans into canuck fans. i see no point to this.

so what if they only follow the team when they win...are they hurting you? or are you just mad that fake fans often have tickets to the games?

Fake Fan:

Someone who follows the Canucks only because they are doing well and winning. Shows little to no knowledge about the team or the sport in general. Buys the team's jersey in the midst of the Stanley Cup Playoffs because it is the cool thing to do. Adamantly flaunts their love for the team, and only shows interest when it is a noticeable time to do so.

e.g. Our lovely premier Christy Clark, the #1 fake fan in the province.

smile.gif

I don't know about anyone else, but I completely support ANYONE who will root for the Canucks at any given time. I don't care if they know nothing about the team, but as long as they like and support the team (even for a couple months) then they are alright in my book. My mom knows barely anything about the Canucks, but she likes them, wants them to win, and was really into it during playoffs each year. I would even support a Blackhawks or Bruins fan who also was a fan of our team.

That, in my opinion, is a key factor in being a true fan.

No wonder we have such a bad reputation as a fan base. We even hate on good people who are not that into hockey, but nonetheless support Vancouver (as a team and a city).

Nothing wrong with showing support for your local sports team when they are doing good. I'm not a CFL fan in the least, but I was still happy for the Lions when they won the Cup, and I will still root for them because they represent the whole province; not just the select fans who buy tickets to their games and know everything there is to know about the game. Clarke has every right to cheer for the teams in her province and show her support. Its when you use it to gain support for a political cause that it becomes fake.

In short, don't criticize fans because they aren't die hard, we all enjoy the game on our own level for different reasons.

Quite honestly I think the original post is bollocks.

I supported my football team (soccer) as a season ticket holder for 40 years through thick and mostly thin ;-) I didn't then and don't now give a damn what kind of fan follows my team or how long they have followed them, as long as they behave and don't sully my team's name.

I started supporting the Canucks (as I have said on here a few times) because they played the kind of hockey that reminded me of my home town team, the Fife Flyers in their hay day.

Vancouver Canucks were only a name to me until 2 and a half years ago when ESPN started to show the NHL over here.

I will never be lucky enough to go to Rogers Arena nor visit Canada and the lovely BC. I was devastated when I thought I would be deprived of watching the Canucks when the NHL totally screwed European hockey fans by denying ESPN America the broadcasting rights over here. I was ecstatic when I was able to subscribe to NHL GameCenter Live.

Doesn't the OP realise how small minded his outlook is? These "bandwagoners" or "fake fans" as he called them are ultimately what make a team legendary (especially in the absence of an actual winner's trophy)

Normally a team has to win something to gather the huge amount of "affiliated fans" (I prefer this to bandwaggoner) that Vancouver has. These affiliated fans are like a disease or a brush fire. By their spreading they increase the status, the aura and ultimately the fame of a sports team. Many of them WILL STICK and purchase franchise goods and pass on their enthusiasm.

So if the OP is implying that he wants VC to be small time and is jealously guarding them and protecting them from outside support then I would say he is ultimately doing his Hockey team a disservice. The people of whom he complains will ultimately be the force which increases sponsorship, increases revenue from marketing and increases the quality of the team.

By doing so they are helping to put the Club in a position to afford the kind of charitable works and other activities which benefit the less healthy and less well off in BC

Lastly, beware those who are quick to make accusations of bandwagoning. I have found here at home that quite often they are the hardest to please, most disgruntled and complaining types who while living within a stones throw of their team are constantly criticising the players, the management, and just about everything else associated with their team.

I have lost count of the number of times I have had to defend Raymond, Bieksa, Hodgson, Volpatti, Ballard, AV and MG and others on here. Guys who are doing their level best to bring success to this Team and who are deserving of basic loyalty while they are representing this Hockey Club.

Fake Fan:

Someone who follows the Canucks only because they are doing well and winning. Shows little to no knowledge about the team or the sport in general. Buys the team's jersey in the midst of the Stanley Cup Playoffs because it is the cool thing to do. Adamantly flaunts their love for the team, and only shows interest when it is a noticeable time to do so.

smile.gif

Fake Fan:

smile.gif

Been a Canucks fan since I can remember... first game I watched was in the 80's against the Kings at the Coliseum.

Personally, I can't respect anyone who says they're a fan while wearing an obviously fake jersey. I can't take anyone seriously if they're wearing that sh*t. If you're such a fan, shell out the $$ for real merch. If you don't have the funds, get a t-shirt, or save up for the 130 that it costs.

Archived