Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Are you a Fake Fan?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
148 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you a Fake Fan? (185 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you follow in the footsteps of our dear premier?

1. Yes (15 votes [8.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

2. No (170 votes [91.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Brandi Canuck

Brandi Canuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

I will never forget the day after we lost in Game 7. Sad as I was, I was also proud. There was a big family event at a local park where I live (Brantford, ON) and I donned my Canucks jersey with pride. Men from the firestation brought a truck over for the kids to explore and as they passed behind me, they honked. When I turned around, they held up a Boston jersey, and they said that I was brave, and asked how I could embarrass myself like that. I smiled, said Congratulations, and stated that I was proud, that I still loved my boys, and with the season they had just had, there was nothing to be embarrassed about. Who would be embarrassed about setting records, winning the President's Trophy, taking home Art Ross (and at the time, possibly the Hart too).

They turned around and changed their attitude quite quickly. They said thanks for a great series, and way to support my team. That is the true hockey fan, they said.

The only thing I'm embarrassed about being a Canucks fan is the bandwagon fans. I hate being associated with them, and hate even more being considered a Puck Bunny just because I'm female.

I've been a fan since '99, and that's not about to change anytime soon!
Posted Image

#122 AmazingNuck

AmazingNuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,610 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

No. I follow them all the time (aside from midterm/final seasons :( ). I criticize and praise according to what I see and when I see it.
Posted Image

#123 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

I don't think I'm a fake fan. Became a fan when I was 7 years old, which was when I learned English and hockey.

Been a fan for 9 years and counting. Is that good enough? :P

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#124 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,821 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

I like to think the fact that I stay up until 6am to watch the Canucks proves I'm a real fan.

#125 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

but the team really belongs to those that care.

We are all Canucks.

:canucks:

I disagree. The team belongs to whoever spends money on them. Fan it up all you want but if money doesn't go in the team moves out.
Posted Image

#126 originalcanucksdude

originalcanucksdude

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

I disagree. The team belongs to whoever spends money on them. Fan it up all you want but if money doesn't go in the team moves out.

1) Wow :rolleyes:

2) Just Wow :picard:
Last season was a stepping stone to where we want to go.

#embracethehate

#127 Doll

Doll

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

I'm definitely not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be (working on that), but I know enough to keep up with a decent conversation. I've watched the games since I was a little girl, and my loyalty has always been with the Canucks.

Posted Image

Personally, I don't mind the people who jump on the Stanley Cup bandwagon, it's a fun atmosphere. It only becomes irritating if the person bashes the team every other time of the year, or claims to have a passion for them. With some, the Stanley Cup is just a nice excuse for a party.

#128 Bagge

Bagge

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

I am not much of a fan to be honest. I have never watched any games live, allthough I am not going to rule it out if I win the lottery. When I go to the local skating rink in Denmark I am wearing my mid 90's Paul Kariya jersey from Anaheim. I mainly follow Canucks because of Jannik Hansen and now also Niklas Jensen. The force is strong in that young kid.

In fact I follow all of the teams that have danish players on board. Which is a good handfull at the moment. Not including Ottawa where Regin is constantly injured.

I actually did follow Nucks more in the 90's and early 00's when Nslund was one of the big stars.

Of course it is a little more fun to watch now that the team overall look supersolid and not very vulnerable to injuries. There is always a prospect that is ready to pick up the game. The future look bright for Nucks in my opinion, but of course I do not have the same knowledge about the team and prospects as the rest of you, so what do I know.

#129 johnnywishbone

johnnywishbone

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

This post is fake, it didn't happen, this is not real, I took the red pill,,
English Bob: A plague on you. A plague on the whole stinking lot of ya, without morals or laws. And all you whores got no laws. You got no honor. It's no wonder you all emigrated to America, because they wouldn't have you in England. You're a lot of savages, that's what you all are. A bunch of bloody savages. A plague on you. I'll be back.

#130 c@nuckfever

c@nuckfever

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

Been a fan since I was 8 years old, had a Tanti jersey. The Mark Messier / Keenan years were f'ing painful.

That was the worst era for sure. First they beat us in the cup finals then they move to Vancouver and f*%# things up for years.

#131 Skks_King

Skks_King

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

No...Im not
I say theres 3 speps to loving a team
1-get to know the team,learn every player and get to know their history.
2-experience heartbreak with your team.
3-go to the city and see your team live

I agree and have done all three, However #3 doesn't necessarily have to be true, after all Canuck's tickets are expensive :P
Go Canucks Go :)

#132 Zissou

Zissou

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:52 AM

Got a Johnny Canuck tattoo on the opening day of the season. So...no.

#133 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:54 AM

oh absolutely not, I started watching ice hockey just a few years ago despite never playing the great sport and ever since i have followed this team every game. I like the Canucks more than I like ice hockey.

#134 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,331 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:41 AM

This is the kind of elitism that makes sports fans look bad. Super-inclusive and unaccepting of new fans.

It's very likely that we were all bandwagoners of sports teams at some point, until we started to get into it. You don't need to know the stats of the players or watch all the games to be a Canucks fan. People have lives outside the world of pro sports.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#135 BobCanuck

BobCanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

lol so many of these on the boards these days :lol:

Edited by BobCanuck, 18 April 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#136 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,044 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

lol so many of these on the boards these days :lol:

Yeah, because you bumped this thread from December?

307mg00.jpg

#137 giXXer

giXXer

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

I've been watching nucks since 1999, man those 7-8 were one of worst times in this teams history. They were even considering moving them to another city. I stuck with them then not about to give now, but I do get mad when they don't make an effort to win, regardless I'll love this as long an I'm alive!

#138 wrath_jason

wrath_jason

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

Been a fan since I was 8 years old, had a Tanti jersey. The Mark Messier / Keenan years were f'ing painful.

*Canucks Owners* 'You know what we need? Like....all the the staff from the team that beat us in the Stanley Cup Final in '94! That will be great! We'll even trade Linden away, cuz really, who likes Linden??" :picard:

#139 Smyl ( :

Smyl ( :

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

If I say yes,is it on?

#140 Meyer_Buttreeks

Meyer_Buttreeks

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

I've been a staunch supporter of the Nucks since the 70's. I've got most of the jerseys, I've spent my hard earned cash going to games even in the dark ages, I tried to be supportive of Dan Cloutier and I'm one of those clowns who has festooned his vehicle with 6 Canuck flags and one of those spinning "Go Canucks" gizmos.

I still believe now, as I did in the 70s, that we'll have our day.

The dead look in my eyes should show that I'm a true fan. A fan to the end.

Bandwagon fans make us all look bad at times.

#141 JeffSaber

JeffSaber

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

I haven't been a fan as long as some of you might have but I wasn't born here, in fact, I was born half a world away and didn't know a THING about hockey but after me and my family moved to Vancouver back in 04, we have been fans of the team. Especially me and my brother.

Back over the weekend on sunday, my brother asked me if he thought we still had a chance to win and of course I said yes because well, I am a canucks fan and I still to believe. No matter the deficit. Been loving this team through the highs and lows over the past 6-7 years.

So no, I don't think I am qualified as a "fake fan", but I wouldn't speak for my brother, who after we lost on sunday, said we were done for and gave up on the team.

#142 nucks115

nucks115

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

been a fan for 10 years!
will continue to support the team through good and bad!

#143 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

It's okay, they usually go back to Surrey after the game.

Too true. Isn't that where the majority of rioters came from? I guess all the liquor stores in Whalley shut down early because of a mullet alert. Only a city as stupid as Surrey would use the motto "Where the future lives". Really?

Surrey sucks.
Posted Image

#144 Hectic

Hectic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

I'll be honest here. I got into hockey because of the 2010-2011 playoff run (my first time ever watching a full run of hockey). I guess I was or still am (?) still considered as a bandwagoner/fake fan to all the true Canucks fans out there. After watching that amazing run, I knew I had to watching from the beginning (the regular season). I love it so far and I haven't missed any games (except when I'm working but usually I just watch the missed games from CanucksTV).

I'm still new with some hockey rules but I'm slowly growing accustomed to it. It's really nice to watch these games with my friends, family (I got them into it too) and even strangers in pubs. I want to witness and feel all that frustration and happiness you guys feel whenever Canucks win or lose. I don't know.. to me, it feels so surreal (sorry if I'm sounding like a drama queen but it's really hard to describe it). Looking back now, I wondered how I was able to live without hockey. Right now, I can't live without it :lol:

To all the true fans out there: Even though right now I am still considered as bandwagoner/fake fan to you guys, I am working my best to really become a "true fan". I love this team and I want to see them succeed just like you guys :) And even if they become Stanley cup winners in the future, I will not stop cheering for them and I will continue to watch every games afterward.

You know what.. I thought about bandwagon fans for a while, because I'm a pretty mild mannered easy going type of guy.. But bandwagon fans honestly piss me off. Like legitimately I hate them and.. Well yeah. But then I gave it a bit of thought.. And well.. I still do hate them, but decided to think about what actually constitutes a bandwagon fan.

Many people, like the quoted poster above, watched last years playoff run and decided that they would tag along, and join us, the diehards, in cheering on our team. Now, at that time were all thinking "where the hell were these people in the regular season, and they don't deserve to join in the celebrations that we've been deserving for the longest time. But honestly, in my opinion, can actually separate a bandwagon fan from a real fan, is if this person was so actually pay attention during the season. A buddy and I decided to pick an arbitrary number.. 56.. And decided that if someone was paying attention to the Canucks during game 56 of the season, that they are somewhat, if not actually, a legitimate fan of the team. If they're just going to join in on the fun in the playoffs, well those are the type of people that make me extremely angry.

So to sum this all up, the poster that I quoted, props to you, in my books you're a fan.

#145 nucks all the way

nucks all the way

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

To be honest, I moved to Canada when I was ten (in 2001) and only started following the Canucks (and hockey in general) since the 2009 playoffs and have watched all games since (except when at the university or work) but I've taken a lot of time to research the team history as best I can and to try and find videos and articles on different things to either familiarize myself with the game or just the history of different teams, especially the Canucks. This season I bought a Kesler jersey and only a few weeks ago I went to my first game in Vancouver. Sometimes I'm really jealous of all those people that got to watch Linden, Naslund, Bure and others play...and to think I was here when Naslund and Linden were around :(

Edited by nucks all the way, 19 April 2012 - 01:18 AM.

#146 Odjickwillkillyou

Odjickwillkillyou

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

Really dude or dudette? This is the best you can come up with? No wonder other people think we are self entitled. Since when are we in competition to see who the "real" fans are? The more the merrier I always say. I don't need to see that someone knows Bieksa's sign or shoe size to see if they are legit or not. If they want to wear our colors, than more power to them. Mid-season, Playoffs or whatever. Otherwise "WE" would not "ALL" be Canucks.I just realized after reading the end of your rant that you are actually a female. So disregard the dude part. Do not disregard the fact that you are still making a lot of us look bad to other team's fans with your views.

Edited by Odjickwillkillyou, 19 April 2012 - 08:12 AM.

"Just cause I am from Cali does not mean I am not a Canuck. We are all Canucks!"

Special thanks to Marleau 12 for the siggy...

"Gino's got the Zaaaaaaaaaaaa's"

#147 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#148 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,752 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

WTH is this?

Seriously, WTH is this?

Are you one of those demented fans that doesn't want anyone else cheering for "your" team just becuase????

Please do us all a favour and stop cheering for the Canucks and cheer for a team like, for example, The Bruins.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#149 John Garretts Massive Ears

John Garretts Massive Ears

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

I answered yes, you have blown my cover... These threads give me a good laugh. OP is obviously the most celebrated Canucks fan in the history of the franchise.

Sweet thread bro!
After you recognize the size of John's ears you wont be able to look at anything else!!!!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.