The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you a Fake Fan?

Try Again

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fake Fan:

Someone who follows the Canucks only because they are doing well and winning. Shows little to no knowledge about the team or the sport in general. Buys the team's jersey in the midst of the Stanley Cup Playoffs because it is the cool thing to do. Adamantly flaunts their love for the team, and only shows interest when it is a noticeable time to do so.

e.g. Our lovely premier Christy Clark, the #1 fake fan in the province.

smile.gif

The only thing worse than a.......fake fan.....? are the elitist fans that try to justify thier belief that they are the ultimate true fan by questioning every one else's devotion or fandom. I've followed the NHL and been a Canucks fan since the mid 70's, have several jerseys and this drives me nuts. I wonder how many people on this site became fans during the 94 run and think they are a long time TRUE FAN.....lightweights.

After Game 7, I've taken our losses way to personally. I've found myself this season having to step away a little bit from following as close as I normally do. Yes, I understand we're not even halfway through the season. Yes, I understand we're not going to go 82-0. I just think I've invested too much of myself in the team. So I'm distancing myself a little bit, but I still support this team through thick and thin.

But I really want to see this team win a cup. The team deserves it. The city deserves it, the players sure as hell deserve it. I would also like us to win, and have the city not destroy itself in the process.

Then at least all the haters can crawl under a rock and go away at least for a while. :)

been a fan for about 10 years now. been through some of the tough times like the year we missed the playoffs a few points behind the Oilers (who then made that long run).

Always will be a fan through the tough times and the best times. The tough times are in some cases the most important, as if you can pull through it (as a team) the end result will be great ;)

Gillis should create some way to distinguish between true fans and fake fans. Maybe make some kind of douchey sticker you can buy or something like that and you have to prove that you are fan enough to have it. That way you guys can feel like elites and not have to worry about being associated with most people. You could have secret meetings in someone's basement and wear cool hoods and talk about how important you are.

You know I really am getting tired of reading all these posts questioning the loyalty of fellow fans. There are the posters that constantly make a post based upon the 'bandwagoners' and then there are the ones that infer that someone is not a true fan if they hold the team or a player accountable, then is the constant threads about ' the haters' etc.

I bet if we could look back many of these same righteous individuals were the same ones who were bashing Bieksa (including the one who got himself featured in the Vancouver Province) (and Alberts) .....his claim to fame...he hated Beiksa.Then we have the posters who consider themselves scholars and find it necessary to correct anothers spelling. Everyone has not had the same opportunity as you to attend college or university. Many have come from other countries and are still learning english. It is great that they have embraced the Canucks as their team. It doesn't mean that you are any better just because you can spell.

Why doesn't everyone just lay off. I don't care how long a person has been a fan...the point is that he is watching the Canucks and pays his nickel just like everyone else. He or she also has the right to voice their opinion. The most important thing is that he or she voices their own opinion and doesn't just follow the crowd.

JMHO

I'll be honest here. I got into hockey because of the 2010-2011 playoff run (my first time ever watching a full run of hockey). I guess I was or still am (?) still considered as a bandwagoner/fake fan to all the true Canucks fans out there. After watching that amazing run, I knew I had to watching from the beginning (the regular season). I love it so far and I haven't missed any games (except when I'm working but usually I just watch the missed games from CanucksTV).

I'm still new with some hockey rules but I'm slowly growing accustomed to it. It's really nice to watch these games with my friends, family (I got them into it too) and even strangers in pubs. I want to witness and feel all that frustration and happiness you guys feel whenever Canucks win or lose. I don't know.. to me, it feels so surreal (sorry if I'm sounding like a drama queen but it's really hard to describe it). Looking back now, I wondered how I was able to live without hockey. Right now, I can't live without it :lol:

To all the true fans out there: Even though right now I am still considered as bandwagoner/fake fan to you guys, I am working my best to really become a "true fan". I love this team and I want to see them succeed just like you guys :) And even if they become Stanley cup winners in the future, I will not stop cheering for them and I will continue to watch every games afterward.

The only thing worse than a.......fake fan.....? are the elitist fans that try to justify thier belief that they are the ultimate true fan by questioning every one else's devotion or fandom. I've followed the NHL and been a Canucks fan since the mid 70's, have several jerseys and this drives me nuts. I wonder how many people on this site became fans during the 94 run and think they are a long time TRUE FAN.....lightweights.

Archived