#1 carlweezer

carlweezer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

POPULAR

Obviously its a best case scenario projection for Cody Hodgson but is it me or are there alot of similarities between the 2 players. Lets also get it straight. I'm NOT comparing Hodgson NOW to Giroux NOW...im saying that Hodgson in a best case scenario is on the same path as Giroux was.

1st, Style. If Hodgson is ever going to be an elite player in the NHL its going to have to come from his vision and play making abilities. Those seeing eye passes, breakout outlet passes, and QB-ing the powerplay from the hashboards...Very much like Giroux's game. Both players do not have game breaking speed but Giroux plays like the puck is on a string which allows him to be successful something young Cody has molded his game around in the Junior and International level and parts w. the Nux.

2nd. Stature. Hodgson is 6 feet 185lbs while Giroux is 5'11 180lbs. both are Right Handed. Both from Ontario and came through the Ontario Minor Hockey League.

3rd. Career Paths. Giroux and Hodgson both won gold medals for Team Canada in the World Jr championships, although Hodgson had a more prominent role that Giroux did for their respective teams....... Both led their JR teams to deep playoff runs in the CHL, Giroux w. the Gatineau Olympics scoring 51 pts in 19 playoff games (qmjhl scoring is way higher) while Hodgson scored 31 pts in 21 playoff games for Brampton.

After Junior, Giroux had a miserable training camp with the Flyers and was sent down to the Philadelphia Phantoms. While we all know Cody's struggles at training camp ( mostly due to injuries) but Hodgson was subsequently sent down to the Manitoba Moose. In both cases, both were 1st rnd draft picks who failed to make the team at 1st crack.

When Giroux was called up, he WASNT given a chance in a scoring line right away, The Flyers had Giroux centering the 3rd line during the cup finals playoffs when he dominated scoring 21 pts in 23 games and forced the Flyers to give him more playing time and eventually being a stable on the 1st line. This eventually allowed them to trade Carter and Richards.

Hodgson's time w. the Canucks has been the same, a play maker stuck in the 3rd line hoping to prove his value and get more opportunities and ice time.

Giroux's first full year with the Flyers he scored 16 goals 31 assists for 47 pts.. This year is Cody's first full year w. the Nux and after 34 games he is on pace to score 17 goals and 43 pts.

Both have been thru a long playoff run in the NHL and reached the Stanley Cup Final!

Early in his career, Giroux missed 5 games due to a concussion he got when he was nailed by Corey Perry...Something I thought would have happened to Hodgson after the Foligno hit...fortunately we dodged that bullet.

To me, I see Cody Hodgson in Claude Giroux, small in stature but amazing vision and playmaking abilities capable of putting up 20-25 goals a year while getting 45-55 assists along the the way. Here's to hoping that Cody has the same success and development as Claude Giroux. :towel:

p.s. just to add a little irony in my rant, Giroux's first ever NHL points came against the Canucks when he assisted on a Jeff Carter Goal.

Edited by carlweezer, 22 December 2011 - 09:44 PM.

#2 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,713 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

POPULAR

Except Giroux is leaps and bounds more skilled.

Jq9Htab.jpg

#3 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

POPULAR

If Cody was given the ice time that Giroux gets, along with playing with wingers that can actually finish, he'd be getting tons of points.

Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!

#4 carlweezer

carlweezer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

POPULAR

Giroux is also more than 2 years older...who knows where Cody Hodgson will be in around 200 games from now.

Giroux's first full year with the Flyers he scored 16 goals 31 assists for 47 pts.. This year is Cody's first full year w. the Nux and after 34 games he is on pace to score 17 goals and 43 pts.

#5 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

POPULAR

OK ... I get the part where the backgrounds sound somewhat similar, but I'd have to disagree. First off, CoHo is far faaaaaar removed from leading the NHL in scoring, I won't rule that out but even if it happens it won't any time soon.

Secondly, your little timeline loses its integrity when you get to the part of putting Giroux on the top line, b/c that's just not going to happen with CoHo with the way this team is built right now. We're not trading away the Sedins the way the Flyers shipped Carter and Richards. No way. These guys are Canucks for life and I will be absolutely shocked if we don't end up seeing big posters marked 22 and 33 side-by-side up in the rafters.

Posted Image

"If a 6-foot-8 guy who can't skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal."

#6 4thlineplug

4thlineplug

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

POPULAR

Lol
Sig too big.

#7 carlweezer

carlweezer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

OK ... I get the part where the backgrounds sound somewhat similar, but I'd have to disagree. First off, CoHo is far faaaaaar removed from leading the NHL in scoring, I won't rule that out but even if it happens it won't any time soon.

Secondly, your little timeline loses its integrity when you get to the part of putting Giroux on the top line, b/c that's just not going to happen with CoHo with the way this team is built right now. We're not trading away the Sedins the way the Flyers shipped Carter and Richards. No way. These guys are Canucks for life and I will be absolutely shocked if we don't end up seeing big posters marked 22 and 33 side-by-side up in the rafters.

3 years ago did you ever think the Flyers would trade Mike Richards? or Jeff Carter..

I'm not comparing Hodgson now to Giroux now either..read the post.

#8 Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

While I would love to see Hodgson be like Giroux, I just don't ever see it happening.
I can see him becoming a solid 60-70 point guy, where Giroux is going to be a perennial Art Ross contender.

#9 AnOnYmOuS

AnOnYmOuS

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

If you watch Giroux skate you will see the difference. Not saying Hodgson doesn't have the opportunity to become a good player but watch Giroux on the powerplay and you'll see he is able to easily skate the puck into the zone like Kesler

#10 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

I've always compared Hodgson to a guy like Paul Stastny. Great playmaker and 2-way abilities. Consistent 70-80 point player.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#11 carlweezer

carlweezer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

While I would love to see Hodgson be like Giroux, I just don't ever see it happening.
I can see him becoming a solid 60-70 point guy, where Giroux is going to be a perennial Art Ross contender.

but thats the thing with projections, you never know the development a player will make....21 teams made the mistake of not drafting Giroux, and the developments he has made has been amazing but who is to say Cody wont develop the same?
Giroux was a 47 point player his rookie year its not like people were saying he was an art ross candidate back then.....

#12 carlweezer

carlweezer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

I've always compared Hodgson to a guy like Paul Stastny. Great playmaker and 2-way abilities. Consistent 70-80 point player.

wouldn't mind this for Cody either.

Edited by carlweezer, 22 December 2011 - 05:24 PM.

#13 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

Giroux is also waaaay faster than Hodgson. Cody has 2 summers to prepare himself but even that won't put him up where Giroux is right now.
Posted Image

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,739 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

Heh. Only a few months ago 'we' were writing him off altogether...

TOML

"You can lead a hockey player to water, but only Shane O'Brien will drink."
Posted Image

#15 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

POPULAR

Giroux is also waaaay faster than Hodgson. Cody has 2 summers to prepare himself but even that won't put him up where Giroux is right now.

The difference between Cody's skating now vs. last season is unbelievable.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#16 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

If Cody was given the ice time that Giroux gets, along with playing with wingers that can actually finish, he'd be getting tons of points.

Upon Booth's return

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Booth
Raymond Hodgson Hansen
Malhotra Lapierre Ebbet/Bitz
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#17 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

3 years ago did you ever think the Flyers would trade Mike Richards? or Jeff Carter..

I'm not comparing Hodgson now to Giroux now either..read the post.

3 years ago, were Richards and Carter the go to guys for the Flyers to reach the Stanley Cup Finals? Were they back to back Art Ross trophy winners? Did they have consecutive 100 point seasons? Were they consistently worthy of being considered league MVPs?

It's not even fair to compare them to the Sedins. They're good but not that good. I guess we'll see if the twins get traded in 3 seasons, but logic dictates that it would take an utter disaster for that to happen.

Edit: also, I think you misread my post. I never implied that you were comparing Hodgson to Giroux right now. That doesn't mean I think Hodgson has a good chance of becoming the next Giroux. He's far removed from something like that and it would take a lot of good things to happen.

Edited by Bieksa's Quote, 22 December 2011 - 05:41 PM.

Posted Image

"If a 6-foot-8 guy who can't skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal."

#18 carlweezer

carlweezer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

Upon Booth's return

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Booth
Raymond Hodgson Hansen
Malhotra Lapierre Ebbet/Bitz

I think Raymond will stay with Booth and Kes

then Hodgson will have Hansen and Higgins. Great checking line with finish capability

Edited by carlweezer, 22 December 2011 - 05:38 PM.

#19 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,556 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Giroux is also more than 2 years older...who knows where Cody Hodgson will be in around 200 games from now.

Only 2 years older. Not more than 2 years

Germany-2014-World-Cup-Final-Champions-W

#20 carlweezer

carlweezer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

3 years ago, were Richards and Carter the go to guys for the Flyers to reach the Stanley Cup Finals? Were they back to back Art Ross trophy winners? Did they have consecutive 100 point seasons? Were they consistently worthy of being considered league MVPs?

It's not even fair to compare them to the Sedins. They're good but not that good. I guess we'll see if the twins get traded in 3 seasons, but logic dictates that it would take an utter disaster for that to happen.

Edit: also, I think you misread my post. I never implied that you were comparing Hodgson to Giroux right now. That doesn't mean I think Hodgson has a good chance of becoming the next Giroux. He's far removed from something like that and it would take a lot of good things to happen.

who says they are getting traded?

I was comparing how Giroux started on the 3rd line , same with Hodgson.

#21 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

POPULAR

You are dumber than a bag of moose antlers. How can you compare a player who has 240 games in the NHL to Hodgson who has 35. Give your head a shake. Of course Giroux is more skilled because he has more experience, about 200 more NHL games and gets a hell of a lot more ice time in a game. The OP was trying to draw a parallel between the two players and note some similarities. You missed the drift and spewed your negativity. Your comment adds nothing to the thread that we don't already know which prompts me to ask the question why you even posted your response.

Secondly, Giroux has been playing on a line with more skilled players for the last 2 years. Would that also make him appear to be more skilled. I suggest if Cody played with more skilled players he would have several more goals and points this year as well. You and many others dismiss Hodgson to easily. Try posting about Hodgson in a couple of years when we have all had a chance to appreciate him and what he does for team. By then we will all know for sure that your are full of BS.
"If you win say nothing, if you lose say less."

#22 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

You rule out the possibility of injuries to a player on the first line. Never say never my friend as it just might happen CoHo earns his way up to the first line (probably the second line) for a peek to fill in for an injury or two. That may be a couple of years down the road but once again, you are another fan who dismisses Hodgson and his potential far to easily. It is my bet that by midway into the season Giroux will not be the scoring leader. He is destined to experience a lull in his production like all players on a tear do over the course of a season.

#23 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

You rule out the possibility of injuries to a player on the first line. Never say never my friend as it just might happen CoHo earns his way up to the first line (probably the second line) for a peek to fill in for an injury or two. That may be a couple of years down the road but once again, you are another fan who dismisses Hodgson and his potential far to easily. It is my bet that by midway into the season Giroux will not be the scoring leader. He is destined to experience a lull in his production like all players on a tear do over the course of a season.

Really? Since when did I dismiss his potential? Obviously you misread/misinterpreted my post.

Of course Hodgson has great potential, but in terms of ice time, and by extension his point totals, it's extremely limited by this teams depth. You can see it right now, if he wasn't playing behind some great players he would be eating up all the ice time he can get, the same way Nugent-Hopkins does in Edmonton.

Sure I never ruled out the possibility of injuries, but at length it's an 82 game season and unless the Sedins and Kesler are both either out for the whole season or magically traded, Hodgson cannot produce at Giroux's level in 2 years. That's just not realistic. You can try telling me otherwise, but there's no logical basis for that. But for the heck of it, I encourage you to chew on this tell me I'm wrong statement: Hodgson will be a great player, but he will NOT be leading the league in scoring in two seasons.

Edited by Bieksa's Quote, 22 December 2011 - 06:08 PM.

Posted Image

#24 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

I think Raymond will stay with Booth and Kes

then Hodgson will have Hansen and Higgins. Great checking line with finish capability

That is how I think it will play out for the rest of the season as well. AV will not disturb the chemistry our second line is having together unless it goes for a dump. Why screw up two lines for one player. Chemistry is what makes teams win and you don't to to fix somethin' when it ain't broke.

#25 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

who says they are getting traded?

I was comparing how Giroux started on the 3rd line , same with Hodgson.

Except the comparison loses its basis when you get to the part where Giroux becomes a first liner. If Hodgson becomes a first liner in only a matter of 2 years, something catastrophic will have to happen to the Sedins and Kesler between now and then. In all likelihood, it will take a lot longer for that to become a realistic option.

Posted Image

#26 carlweezer

carlweezer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Really? Since when did I dismiss his potential? Obviously you misread/misinterpreted my post.

Of course Hodgson has great potential, but in terms of ice time, and by extension his point totals, it's extremely limited by this teams depth. You can see it right now, if he wasn't playing behind some great players he would be eating up all the ice time he gets, the way Nugent-Hopkins does in Edmonton.

Sure I never ruled out the possibility of injuries, but at length it's an 82 game season and unless the Sedins and Kesler are both either out for the whole season or magically traded, Hodgson cannot produce at Giroux's level in 2 years. That's just not realistic. You can try telling me otherwise, but there's no logical basis for that. But for the heck of it, I encourage you to chew on this tell me I'm wrong statement: Hodgson will be a great player, but he will NOT be leading the league in scoring in two seasons.

3 years ago when Giroux scored 47 pts his 1st year could you tell me that Giroux will be better than Thornton or Brad Richards.???? no logical basis back then either.

#27 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

If he could, would be fantastic for us.
Posted Image

#28 howswedeitis76

howswedeitis76

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

We've already seen Hodgson do well on the 2nd line with Kesler this season. Raymond has been playing lights out of late, but Hodgson could easily slot in on the second in coming seasons. From there, it's only a small step from first line minutes, even if those come only as a temporary switch due to a slumping Burrows, or an injury to a Sedin. It's not likely, with the current roster, but trades and free agency could make some decent changes, and the Sedins aren't the only players in the picture. Nor is Kesler guaranteed to be here in a few years.

#29 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

Ya... if you make that comparison then Hodgson sucks monkey nuts.

I can't believe folks on here that need to think that every prospect is going to be an elite franchise guy who will lead the league at their position.

Hodgson has supplanted Malhotra on the 3rd line (partially due to Malhotra falling off)... that is an amazing accomplishment for a rookie. If he can become a solid 3rd line centre and that is all he ever does in his career, then that is a remarkable achievement for a guy drafted in his position.... anything beyond that is gravy and shouldn't be expected.

Edited by Provost, 22 December 2011 - 08:34 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#30 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

3 years ago when Giroux scored 47 pts his 1st year could you tell me that Giroux will be better than Thornton or Brad Richards.???? no logical basis back then either.

Ah, but you are looking solely at Giroux. I never said that Hodgson can't reach that level if he was to be given the opportunity, just that he won't as that opportunity won't come.

I realize that Hodgson has the capacity for that sort of thing, but will it be untapped in two years, with this kind of team? NO. There are different circumstances surrounding Hodgson vs. Giroux.

Carter + Richards =/= Sedin + Sedin + Kesler

Try again.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.