The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Comparing Cody Hodgson to Claude Giroux**

carlweezer

Obviously its a best case scenario projection for Cody Hodgson but is it me or are there alot of similarities between the 2 players. Lets also get it straight. I'm NOT comparing Hodgson NOW to Giroux NOW...im saying that Hodgson in a best case scenario is on the same path as Giroux was.

1st, Style. If Hodgson is ever going to be an elite player in the NHL its going to have to come from his vision and play making abilities. Those seeing eye passes, breakout outlet passes, and QB-ing the powerplay from the hashboards...Very much like Giroux's game. Both players do not have game breaking speed but Giroux plays like the puck is on a string which allows him to be successful something young Cody has molded his game around in the Junior and International level and parts w. the Nux.

2nd. Stature. Hodgson is 6 feet 185lbs while Giroux is 5'11 180lbs. both are Right Handed. Both from Ontario and came through the Ontario Minor Hockey League.

3rd. Career Paths. Giroux and Hodgson both won gold medals for Team Canada in the World Jr championships, although Hodgson had a more prominent role that Giroux did for their respective teams....... Both led their JR teams to deep playoff runs in the CHL, Giroux w. the Gatineau Olympics scoring 51 pts in 19 playoff games (qmjhl scoring is way higher) while Hodgson scored 31 pts in 21 playoff games for Brampton.

After Junior, Giroux had a miserable training camp with the Flyers and was sent down to the Philadelphia Phantoms. While we all know Cody's struggles at training camp ( mostly due to injuries) but Hodgson was subsequently sent down to the Manitoba Moose. In both cases, both were 1st rnd draft picks who failed to make the team at 1st crack.

When Giroux was called up, he WASNT given a chance in a scoring line right away, The Flyers had Giroux centering the 3rd line during the cup finals playoffs when he dominated scoring 21 pts in 23 games and forced the Flyers to give him more playing time and eventually being a stable on the 1st line. This eventually allowed them to trade Carter and Richards.

Hodgson's time w. the Canucks has been the same, a play maker stuck in the 3rd line hoping to prove his value and get more opportunities and ice time.

Giroux's first full year with the Flyers he scored 16 goals 31 assists for 47 pts.. This year is Cody's first full year w. the Nux and after 34 games he is on pace to score 17 goals and 43 pts.

Both have been thru a long playoff run in the NHL and reached the Stanley Cup Final!

Early in his career, Giroux missed 5 games due to a concussion he got when he was nailed by Corey Perry...Something I thought would have happened to Hodgson after the Foligno hit...fortunately we dodged that bullet.

To me, I see Cody Hodgson in Claude Giroux, small in stature but amazing vision and playmaking abilities capable of putting up 20-25 goals a year while getting 45-55 assists along the the way. Here's to hoping that Cody has the same success and development as Claude Giroux. :towel:

p.s. just to add a little irony in my rant, Giroux's first ever NHL points came against the Canucks when he assisted on a Jeff Carter Goal.

OK ... I get the part where the backgrounds sound somewhat similar, but I'd have to disagree. First off, CoHo is far faaaaaar removed from leading the NHL in scoring, I won't rule that out but even if it happens it won't any time soon.

Secondly, your little timeline loses its integrity when you get to the part of putting Giroux on the top line, b/c that's just not going to happen with CoHo with the way this team is built right now. We're not trading away the Sedins the way the Flyers shipped Carter and Richards. No way. These guys are Canucks for life and I will be absolutely shocked if we don't end up seeing big posters marked 22 and 33 side-by-side up in the rafters.

Except Giroux is leaps and bounds more skilled.

Giroux is also more than 2 years older...who knows where Cody Hodgson will be in around 200 games from now.

Giroux's first full year with the Flyers he scored 16 goals 31 assists for 47 pts.. This year is Cody's first full year w. the Nux and after 34 games he is on pace to score 17 goals and 43 pts.

OK ... I get the part where the backgrounds sound somewhat similar, but I'd have to disagree. First off, CoHo is far faaaaaar removed from leading the NHL in scoring, I won't rule that out but even if it happens it won't any time soon.

Secondly, your little timeline loses its integrity when you get to the part of putting Giroux on the top line, b/c that's just not going to happen with CoHo with the way this team is built right now. We're not trading away the Sedins the way the Flyers shipped Carter and Richards. No way. These guys are Canucks for life and I will be absolutely shocked if we don't end up seeing big posters marked 22 and 33 side-by-side up in the rafters.

3 years ago did you ever think the Flyers would trade Mike Richards? or Jeff Carter..

I'm not comparing Hodgson now to Giroux now either..read the post.

While I would love to see Hodgson be like Giroux, I just don't ever see it happening.

I can see him becoming a solid 60-70 point guy, where Giroux is going to be a perennial Art Ross contender.

but thats the thing with projections, you never know the development a player will make....21 teams made the mistake of not drafting Giroux, and the developments he has made has been amazing but who is to say Cody wont develop the same?

Giroux was a 47 point player his rookie year its not like people were saying he was an art ross candidate back then.....

3 years ago did you ever think the Flyers would trade Mike Richards? or Jeff Carter..

I'm not comparing Hodgson now to Giroux now either..read the post.

3 years ago, were Richards and Carter the go to guys for the Flyers to reach the Stanley Cup Finals? Were they back to back Art Ross trophy winners? Did they have consecutive 100 point seasons? Were they consistently worthy of being considered league MVPs?

It's not even fair to compare them to the Sedins. They're good but not that good. I guess we'll see if the twins get traded in 3 seasons, but logic dictates that it would take an utter disaster for that to happen.

Edit: also, I think you misread my post. I never implied that you were comparing Hodgson to Giroux right now. That doesn't mean I think Hodgson has a good chance of becoming the next Giroux. He's far removed from something like that and it would take a lot of good things to happen.

Giroux is also more than 2 years older...who knows where Cody Hodgson will be in around 200 games from now.

Only 2 years older. Not more than 2 years

3 years ago, were Richards and Carter the go to guys for the Flyers to reach the Stanley Cup Finals? Were they back to back Art Ross trophy winners? Did they have consecutive 100 point seasons? Were they consistently worthy of being considered league MVPs?

It's not even fair to compare them to the Sedins. They're good but not that good. I guess we'll see if the twins get traded in 3 seasons, but logic dictates that it would take an utter disaster for that to happen.

Edit: also, I think you misread my post. I never implied that you were comparing Hodgson to Giroux right now. That doesn't mean I think Hodgson has a good chance of becoming the next Giroux. He's far removed from something like that and it would take a lot of good things to happen.

who says they are getting traded?

I was comparing how Giroux started on the 3rd line , same with Hodgson.

Archived