The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Comparing Cody Hodgson to Claude Giroux**

carlweezer

Haha you guys are all amateurs. Let me ask you something genius, in the Sedins rookie year, hell within their first 5 years, did you think they wold be putting up 90-110+ PTs per year? (Going on 4 years post-lockout) and winning Art Ross' (I'm going for a Sedin to win this year too.)

My guess is going to be you would've said a fat NO.

Cody can do what he wants if he puts the work into it like he is now. He has amazing skill and hands, just like the Sedins, and has ever chance to be an Art Ross candidate.

He's better right now than the Sedins were at his age. I definately see him putting up atleast a ppg in his prime.

Delusions are everywhere.

Hodgson was considered a steal at 10; going on to become CHL player of the year, outscored Tavares to lead the WJC's in scoring... At the WJC's they were gold medal winner, his junior team went to the Memorial cup. In Junior he was also voted by coaches smartest player, best captain, OHL's top face off guy & penalty killer, hardest shot... When team-mates, line mates in fact, with Matt Duchesne in junior he outscored him every year. Their last in junior by 30 odd points. Duchesne is turning a pretty good NHL'er; by circles travelled there is every reason CoHo could keep pace with his peers.

You have to scout the players regardless of where they are drafted. 3 years ago, before Hodgson was injured (and the Sedins exploded) he was the odds on favorite to win rookie of the year; and called on to do so by experts as poorly accredited as Bob Mackenzie.

Chances are he'll be a great pro. MVP? I'd vote one or two time fringe all star; but I would not have guessed Henrik would win either.

Cheers

Then you are delusional and have no concept of how draft picks turn out historically. Beyond the lottery picks you are basically looking at a crap shoot as to who turns out or not.

A #10 pick historically has almost no chance to be a franchise player and would be expected to fall in the fringe NHLer to Regular (bottom of the roster) player.

Here is a story that I have posted several times before that explains it. Of course, as a delusional person I would assume that your answer would be "but Hodgson is an exception and is better than his draft position indicates!" I have heard that about every Canucks 1st rounder in the past 20 years and it doesn't tend to turn out to be true.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282241

I have seen this story play out over and over... people have ridiculous expectations, then when reality hits they blame the player, coach, management. linemates.... pretty much anyone in the organization. Instead they should be blaming their expectations that are based on nothing but fantasy.

Delusions are everywhere.

Chances are he'll be a great pro. MVP? I'd vote one or two time fringe all star; but I would not have guessed Henrik would win either.

Cheers

Well I called it... the expected response from the delusional, "Cody is better than where he was drafted, he is the exception to all the rules of history and math, all other GMs were idiots for passing him up....yada yada yada"

He is not even in the neighbourhood of contention for rookie of the year... and that is competing against guys younger than him who were just drafted. Nothing based in any sort of fact gives any credence to the idea that he will be the MVP or even an all-star. It is simply wishful thinking based on one of your wet dreams.

The Sedin's were lottery picks.... guys picked in the top 5 are the ones who have a decent chance of making it to be upper end talent. Hodgson is not a Sedin, and the odds of him ever making it to their level is miniscule.

<br />When Hodgson was drafted the knock on him was his skating ability. I remember the &quot;experts&quot; on the panel saying if his skating was better he would be a top 3 pick. FYI his skating has drastically improved. I think it was Bob Mackenzie who said the Canucks got a steal getting Hodgson at 10 and the only reason he wasnt number 1 was because of his skating. No i don't have a link... but i have a memory. It was much talked about on draft day.<br />

I recall McKenzie's comment in that light as well. He applauded Hodgson for his talents and play during the Junior Championship Tourney that year. He commented on Hodgson's skating and from there all the media and nay sayers jumped aboard the "lets be critical of Cody bandwagon." That crap followed him into the back injury issues he experienced the following year and AV's crap comments about him. IMVHO Hodgson has proved that he can play in the NHL. I love to watch his tape to tape passes and his ability to find an open man. He is no Hansen or Raymond on skates but neither are the Twins and look how great they have been for Vancouver. He still has much to learn but I have little doubt about his potential and success as a professional hockey player.

Cody just needs to be given the time and opportunity to prove what level of competence he can play at. Those who predict he won't be an MVP, will only be a 40-50 point yearly scorer, or suggest he will never do this or that in the NHL, haven't got the slightest idea what they are talking about or predicting. They are simply trying to convince an internet audience they know everything. The good part is most persons see through their spam and don't accept their BS.

Cody Hodgson will never be a Claude Giroux.. The guy is pure skill and is a dominating goal scorer something I'm sorry Hodgson will never be.. I have been the biggest Hodgson supporter since the start and in no way am I saying he won't be an allstar retired Canuck.

&lt;br /&gt;Well I called it... the expected response from the delusional, &amp;quot;Cody is better than where he was drafted, he is the exception to all the rules of history and math, all other GMs were idiots for passing him up....yada yada yada&amp;quot;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;He is not even in the neighbourhood of contention for rookie of the year... and that is competing against guys younger than him who were just drafted.  Nothing based in any sort of fact gives any credence to the idea that he will be the MVP or even an all-star.  It is simply wishful thinking based on one of your wet dreams.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;The Sedin's were lottery picks.... guys picked in the top 5 are the ones who have a decent chance of making it to be upper end talent.  Hodgson is not a Sedin, and the odds of him ever making it to their level is miniscule.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;

You say that with such convincing and over whelming authority and Omnipotent presence.  If I didn't know better I would have thought you to be a hockey scout or better still, a renouned, God like General Manager in the NHL.  All that vanity is just charming me silly.  How about some more of those words of wisdom and reverence in another one of your meagre attempts to convince us that you are so knowledgeable about what will be or not be in the future.  IMO you know dick $hit about what you are talking about in that regard. Who were you saying is delusional?

I see the comparison. I have been a Giroux fan for years, always throught the kid had unlimited potential and it was just the right moment for him to break out. I can see Cody following in the same path, I doubt he will be the player Giroux is but if he continues seasoning as a 3rd line center there's no reason he can't step up and be a top player for the Canucks.

<br />but thats the thing with projections, you never know the development a player will make....21 teams made the mistake of not drafting Giroux, and the developments he has made has been amazing but who is to say Cody wont develop the same?<br />Giroux was a 47 point player his rookie year its not like people were saying he was an art ross candidate back then.....<br />
<br /><br /><br />

He has a great team, great role models and playmakers to learn from FTW?

Hodgsons play this year has been a pleasant and welcome surprise, and like someone pointed out on here a little earlier, he was kind of written off.  Hodgson does have uncanny on-ice vision, something alot of players will never have, you can see just before he absorbs a hit along the boards that he has his head up looking for the pass.  His reads out there really good right now, wait until he gets more gameplay, he will get alot better.  Comparing him to Giroux when they both started out is a great compliment and we would be lucky if he has the same growth pattern.  The Canucks needed him to blossom this year, along with someone like Hansen, which gives us incredible depth down our lines.  Now lets see how he does out there in the playoffs, he seems to love the pressure that big games are all about.

Oops forgot to put in there that years of practising with the Sedins will have a big effect on how he approaches playing in the future, look at how the Sedins were brought along before the lockout and after, they blew up. How many people out there were writing off the Sedins prior to the lockout. They are excellent examples of how to learn, approach, & play the game. You never know right.

I don't care where players are drafted. I judge them from what they do on the ice. Anyone who watches Hodgson have to recognize his vision, puck handling, and body positioning. He is well on his way to a + 40 point season playing from a 3rd line with PP time. Not to shabby when most felt he would be lucky to stick. He isn't totally back up to speed since the hit in Otttawa but certainly shows signs in the last two games.

Expecting a scoring breakthrough off a 3rd liner is a stretch. Hodgson's opportunity will come from an injury to a top 6 player or a real streak off the PP 2nd line. It will come!

You say that with such convincing and over whelming authority and Omnipotent presence. If I didn't know better I would have thought you to be a hockey scout or better still, a renouned, God like General Manager in the NHL. All that vanity is just charming me silly. How about some more of those words of wisdom and reverence in another one of your meagre attempts to convince us that you are so knowledgeable about what will be or not be in the future. IMO you know dick $hit about what you are talking about in that regard. Who were you saying is delusional?

I am stating actual facts. You are the ones making projections into the future based on nothing but your hopes. It isn't wisdom to state facts, it is simply reciting the truth.

FACT - He is rated #10 in the TSN rookie power rankings

FACT - No credible sources have even mentioned him as being in the running to even be nominated for the rookie of the year award

FACT - Very few players ever become the MVP of the league. There are in the neighbourhood of 750 players who play in the NHL in a given season, 1 of them is the MVP, 749 are not. The odds of Hodgson being that one are miniscule (0.013%). The fact that he isn't even dominating in his rookie category or amongst those in his draft year makes this even less likely.

FACT - The three best ranked players drafted at #10 in the past 30 years are Teemu Selanne, Bobby Holik, and Nik Antropov. None of them have won the MVP, and only two of them were ever all-stars. That means if Hodgson was the 4th best pick in 30 years he wouldn't even be an all-star. That makes the chances of him doing so (based in fact and math) about 6%.

FACT - We have had and currently have several players who were drafted in positions 5-15 who have never been MVP or all-stars (Torres, Malhotra, Pyatt, Ballard, Hamhuis, Higgins)

FACT - We currently have two centres on our team who have won major awards (MVP and Selke). That makes the likelihood of him ever beating out one of our top two centres to play in that position fairly remote, leaving him on the 3rd line on our team.

FACT - There is a dearth of quality centres in the league and many teams have a need for one on their 2nd line. This makes it likely that someone from a worse team would covet him for that position.

So, the lesson to be learned from this.... and pay attention now because you seem to have difficulty with reality... is that you should be freaking happy with how Hodgson is playing, he is currently exceeding every reasonable expectation with his play and even if he falls off his current pace he will have a remarkable season (if your expectations are based in fact). If he never becomes more than a decent solid NHLer like virtually every other mid-1st round pick, that is a remarkable achievement and you should not consider him a bust and instead be pleased that AGAINST ALL ODDS we managed to get an actual NHL calibre player with that pick.

Any projections that he is going to be a franchise type player are nothing but idle speculation and based on hope and fantasy, rather than anything factual. Rehashing how he was really good in a junior tournament as your reasoning for why he will be an NHL all-star is ridiculous. Go look up how many players were great in junior and never even got a sniff of the NHL.

I give Cody props for cracking a very solid roster and earning a spot on the 3rd line. Hes playing great with the limited time he has and is starting to show that great upside we all knew he had when he played in the WJC. Theres know doubt he hasnt had an easy start to his NHL career but he is starting to shine and im excited to see how his progress continues in the up and coming years!

Go nucks Go :towel:

While I would love to see Hodgson be like Giroux, I just don't ever see it happening.

I can see him becoming a solid 60-70 point guy, where Giroux is going to be a .

Hey I like young guys putting up points as much as the next guy but lets face it "Perennial Art Ross contender" is a little premature considering we still aren't half way through the season. I was surprised the Sedin's held on to their point leads the last couple years and I see them as better players. Not saying he won't get some nominations or even win a trophy in his career just saying lots of players get hot lets let it come to fruition before we anoint the next great star.

I also think many of you are taking his comparison a little to literally, I don't think he means that Hodgson is gonna score the exact same points as Giroux. He is just pointing out how their career arcs in the same way and because of the skill Cody does have maybe he will follow Giroux down that path as well. I think Cody can become a point per game player and I think that is more what the OP is alluding to that Cody will become good and put up points not necessarily that he will lead the league in scoring.

You say that with such convincing and over whelming authority and Omnipotent presence. If I didn't know better I would have thought you to be a hockey scout or better still, a renouned, God like General Manager in the NHL. All that vanity is just charming me silly. How about some more of those words of wisdom and reverence in another one of your meagre attempts to convince us that you are so knowledgeable about what will be or not be in the future. IMO you know dick $hit about what you are talking about in that regard. Who were you saying is delusional?

Yeah looks like he forgot to tell St.Louis that because he wasn't drafted in the top 10(or at all) he shouldn't have received the Art Ross and Hart Trophies.laugh.gif

Yeah looks like he forgot to tell St.Louis that because he wasn't drafted in the top 10(or at all) he shouldn't have received the Art Ross and Hart Trophies.laugh.gif

The problem with arguing with fools is that they are fools and are impervious to reality. Please quote where I said that unless a person is drafted in the top 10 that they cannot win the Art Ross or Hart.

What I said was that it was highly unlikely for Hodgson to win the MVP.... I went so far as to even explain the odds in a post. If you aren't just a foolish troll with limited reasoning, please put out some facts that support your contention that he is likely to win it. Otherwise it is just as I said, you are mistaking wishing for something with it being reality.

There is a nice saying "Wish in one hand and crap in the other... see which one fills up first"

Archived