The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Comparing Cody Hodgson to Claude Giroux**

carlweezer

The difference between Cody's skating now vs. last season is unbelievable.

Exactly, that's probably one of the areas the coaching staff was really impressed about him coming into camp. If he continues to work on his skating and foot-speed during the off-season, he's just going to get even better and dangerous offensively. It's hard to tell what type of player Cody Hodgson will be in a year or two because there's still lots of room for him to improve, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Although I give you credit for the interesting statistics and information, an interesting read.

Or like Adam Oates?

Who usually scored 70 to 80 points; but scored a lot more when he got the chance to play with guys like Brett Hull. He was the primary set up man when good ol Brett was ripping off 70 and 86 goal seasons.

A different comparison; he looks a lot than a young Henrik Sedin, perhaps even better, cuz he can shoot). Maybe i could change my mind, and maybe Co Ho could be an MVP sommeday? But Henrik is a bit of a freak, in that he improved his play pretty much EVERY year for 10 years straight.

The near future is easier to predict. I've posted this before, CoHo will be taking over the 2knd line center spot sometime in the next year or so (not yet). Whether he centers a big fast winger named Kesler, or Kess moves up to play with the Twins is the only question.

towel.gif

I've always compared Hodgson to a guy like Paul Stastny. Great playmaker and 2-way abilities. Consistent 70-80 point player.

Or like Adam Oates?

Who usually scored 70 to 80 points; but scored a lot more when he got the chance to play with guys like Brett Hull. He was the primary set up man when good ol Brett was ripping off 70 and 86 goal seasons.

A different comparison; he looks a lot than a young Henrik Sedin, perhaps even better, cuz he can shoot). Maybe i could change my mind, and maybe Co Ho could be an MVP sommeday? But Henrik is a bit of a freak, in that he improved his play pretty much EVERY year for 10 years straight.

The near future is easier to predict. I've posted this before, CoHo will be taking over the 2knd line center spot sometime in the next year or so (not yet). Whether he centers a big fast winger named Kesler, or Kess moves up to play with the Twins is the only question.

towel.gif

hes gotta be the best passer on the team not named sedin

If Cody was given the ice time that Giroux gets, along with playing with wingers that can actually finish, he'd be getting tons of points.

If he got the ice time Giroux gets it would be at the expense of players who are far better at this point than Cody is and the team would be worse for it.

how about Philly went to the cup as well??

You mentioned how Carter and Richards were having their best seasons 3 years ago. My rebuttal was that they were not driving forces behind the Flyers cup run at that particular time. They had 84 and 80 pt seasons respectively in their career years then. And afterwards, they did make the SCF, but that was only 2 years ago. Do you know how many points they accumulated over that cup run? 7 points and 23 points respectively ... still not quite elite level. And of course, it kept going downhill from there, so they were far from untouchable.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

How different are apples and oranges, really? They're both fruit. They're both round. They're similar in size.

Now if you said "it's like comparing apples and furniture" I think that would get the point across better. Unless you are saying that they are similar players.

Hodgeson will be awesome. And he will either be moved or he will be on a very dangerous 2nd line. His pedigree is that good. He started slow this year , if he is not injured i see him getting 57 to 65 points and having a better secouind half than first half. The slap shot goal last night showed where his confidence is getting too, Picking his spot on the fly in a pressure packed game, we will see more of this. He is very smart the begginning of the season he was bouncing passes of other players sticks, now he is playing to their skill and setting up the players that can finnish the plays.

If I were to compare Hodgson to another player, it would be to one of our own: Henrik Sedin.

Nope. Cody Hodgson has, as we saw last night, a WICKED shot... powerful wrister and slapper. He hasn't displayed it much as of yet, but we are going to see alot of SNIPES from the kid in the years to come. Hank can only dream of scoring a goal like Cody's last night. Of course, Hank's skills in many other areas are UNWORLDLY, but his shot is kinda average.

You mentioned how Carter and Richards were having their best seasons 3 years ago. My rebuttal was that they were not driving forces behind the Flyers cup run at <i>that</i> particular time. They had 84 and 80 pt seasons respectively in their career years then. And afterwards, they did make the SCF, but that was only 2 years ago. Do you know how many points they accumulated over that cup run? 7 points and 23 points respectively ... still not quite elite level. And of course, it kept going downhill from there, so they were far from untouchable.

23 points in the playoffs isn't elite enough for you? That's almost a ppg but playing against only the best teams. Going by that logic we have no elite players since Henrik led the Canucks in points last playoffs and he only had 22

23 points in the playoffs isn't elite enough for you? That's almost a ppg but playing against only the best teams. Going by that logic we have no elite players since Henrik led the Canucks in points last playoffs and he only had 22

Well the OP was talking about Richards and Carter, not just Richards. Once again, Carter was average at best with 7 points. Go ahead and ignore that, but it's there. You don't mention Hank's point production without Danny's.

Anyways my point stands. They both degraded quite a bit in play over the past few seasons and became rather move-able.

If I were to compare Hodgson to another player, it would be to one of our own: Henrik Sedin.

Not really.

He doesn't really compare to a current Canuck, the best past Canuck to compare him to is probably Geoff Courtnall. Cody will probably never be as good a skater as Courtnall was, but they are similar size who possessed great patience, vision and playmaking skills with underrated scoring abilities. AT his best, he was an 80 points player and even hit 40 goals once and averaged 62 points per season throughout his career.

Archived