The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Comparing Cody Hodgson to Claude Giroux**

carlweezer

I think the one thing that separates the two guys is skating ability. Giroux has a more powerful and fluid stride and you can see it comes naturally to him. Hodgson though much improved is not as good of a skater and it's something he'll have to work on to continue to improve. I think Hodgson has just as much skill as Giroux though, and I think Hodgson has a different gear he can get to that makes him break through in the clutch that Giroux might not necessarily have.Hodgson also possesses stronger leadership qualities than Giroux does based on interviews from their prior coaches.

He is not even in the neighbourhood of contention for rookie of the year... and that is competing against guys younger than him who were just drafted. Nothing based in any sort of fact gives any credence to the idea that he will be the MVP or even an all-star. It is simply wishful thinking based on one of your wet dreams.

Not even in the neighbourhood?

He is currently 7th in rookie scoring. He has played significantly less than everyone ahead of him. You have to go all the way down to 15th to find a rookie that has played less minutes per game (Roman Horak).

He is the rookie breakdown for points/ice time:

MMP = Minutes Per Point

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - 17.4 MPP

Adam Henrique - 22 MMP

Craig Smith - 22.5 MMP

Luke Adam - 22.75 MMP

Cody Hodgson - 25.2 MMP

Matt Read - 26.05 MMP

Now I'd say he isn't close only because RNH is going to run away with it, and that no one but him is close. Bu after RNH there is a group of rookies that Cody is in that includes the rest of the rookies that are playing well, and in that group only Craig Smith was drafted after Cody (in terms of year).

Another thing, out of the guys mentioned above, Craig Smith and Luke Adam came in and had top 6 roles right from the start of the season, and have since fizzled. Whereas Cody has consistently gotten better since the start of the year.

Prediction: Cody will finish in the top 3 of rookie scoring by the end of the year. RNH will be way ahead, Henrique will finish second and Cody will be closely behind him.

FACT - We currently have two centres on our team who have won major awards (MVP and Selke). That makes the likelihood of him ever beating out one of our top two centres to play in that position fairly remote, leaving him on the 3rd line on our team.

FACT - Hodgson is 10 years younger than the Sedins and 6 years younger then Kesler.

I think that if you simply rely on projections from when he was drafted and not what has occurred since then; you should be happy if Hodgson is just a regular, nothing special NHL'er. If you take into account what has happened since then, you can start to project much better things about him.

How do top 10 picks who average .5 ppg in their rookie year 3 years after their draft year do? I would say more than two of those will become all-stars and a much higher percentage.

How about how many rookies get the points/60 minutes that Hodgson is getting and how do those pan out? (1.7 for ES which is 8th on the Canucks, .01 behind kesler and 6.84 on the PP which is 5th for Canucks other than Ebbet)

I think that if you simply rely on projections from when he was drafted and not what has occurred since then; you should be happy if Hodgson is just a regular, nothing special NHL'er. If you take into account what has happened since then, you can start to project much better things about him.

I am not sure that getting 20 career points in 54 NHL games over the span of 3 and a half seasons counts particularly as "upping his stock". If anything he was more highly touted before and at the draft than he is now.

20 career points is also pretty darn early to be putting him in as a lock for a perennial all-star and guaranteed league MVP as folks in this thread are saying.

If he improves, then great... but to suggest that he will be a bust if he doesn't get to the top of the league like "expected" is retarded.

I am not sure that getting 20 career points in 54 NHL games over the span of 3 and a half seasons counts particularly as "upping his stock". If anything he was more highly touted before and at the draft than he is now.

20 career points is also pretty darn early to be putting him in as a lock for a perennial all-star and guaranteed league MVP as folks in this thread are saying.

If he improves, then great... but to suggest that he will be a bust if he doesn't get to the top of the league like "expected" is retarded.

Settle down, no one is saying that.

I think Raymond will stay with Booth and Kes

then Hodgson will have Hansen and Higgins. Great checking line with finish capability

I think its better to have a trigger man like Raymond on Hodgson's line and Higgins on the 2nd line. Raymond seems to have chemistry with Hodgson, while Higgins fits the 2nd line.

Cody Hodgson will never be a Claude Giroux.. The guy is pure skill and is a dominating goal scorer something I'm sorry Hodgson will never be.. I have been the biggest Hodgson supporter since the start and in no way am I saying he won't be an allstar retired Canuck.

Is this a serious post? If so, I didn't know people could predict the future. Who knows, Giroux could fall off the map completely next year, you NEVER KNOW!!! Remember Jim Carey (the net detective), Steve Mason, Jonathon Cheechoo? Hell Cheechoo had 56 goals which is something Giroux will not do any time soon and look where he is. Giroux is a fantastic player but people are blowing it way out of proportion right now, just like that moron that said he was better than Crosby. Again wow, just wow!!!!!!

54 games on basically the 3rd and 4th lines. Giroux broke out because he had top line minutes from the start, Vigneault hates Hodgson and all young players to give them that much time on the top 2 lines. There is no doubt that Hodgsons injury set him back (no pun intended) a lot so who knows where he would be had he been 100% healthy. Hodgson is the future of the Canucks if/when Vigneault gets fired and/or MG doesn't trade him, in about 4-5 years.

Is this a serious post? If so, I didn't know people could predict the future. Who knows, Giroux could fall off the map completely next year, you NEVER KNOW!!! Remember Jim Carey (the net detective), Steve Mason, Jonathon Cheechoo? Hell Cheechoo had 56 goals which is something Giroux will not do any time soon and look where he is. Giroux is a fantastic player but people are blowing it way out of proportion right now, just like that moron that said he was better than Crosby. Again wow, just wow!!!!!!

So you're trying to tell me that Hodgson one day will exceed a 50 goal season? Jonathon Cheechoo played along side Thornton and was the reason he got so many goals back when.. Giroux has been on the upwards since he came into the league.. The guy has stepped up taking over for Carter/Richards.. I think Canuck fans are blowing Cody out of perportion because although he may be an amazing playmaker and among the league elite but Giroux > Hodgson.. Take off the goggles..

Who knows if he falls off right? Too bad everyone (who is even a minor hockey fan) saw this coming last season, many said this kid would lead the goal scoring race this season.. Sorry you don't watch enough Flyers game to understand..

PS -- Everyone is better than Lindros *cough* I mean Crosby atm

So you're trying to tell me that Hodgson one day will exceed a 50 goal season? Jonathon Cheechoo played along side Thornton and was the reason he got so many goals back when.. Giroux has been on the upwards since he came into the league.. The guy has stepped up taking over for Carter/Richards.. I think Canuck fans are blowing Cody out of perportion because although he may be an amazing playmaker and among the league elite but Giroux > Hodgson.. Take off the goggles..

Who knows if he falls off right? Too bad everyone (who is even a minor hockey fan) saw this coming last season, many said this kid would lead the goal scoring race this season.. Sorry you don't watch enough Flyers game to understand..

PS -- Everyone is better than Lindros *cough* I mean Crosby atm

Hodgson will never hit 50, that wasn't my point. If Malkin stays healthy, he will beat Giroux. Giroux will probably tail off a bit and finish around 5th to 7th in scoring. And no one is better than Crosby right now, it's not even debatable. Unless you are referring to him not playing then yes, everyone is "better". Guess who else has had a concussion already, Giroux has. Hmmm....he might even miss quite a few more games this season.

If you are projecting where Hodgson will be in two years; I would say 60-65 points is fair.

If you are setting Hodgson's upside in two years I would say 85-90 points is fair.

I think that the difference between best case scenario (injury or trade causing Hodgson to be a #1/1b center) and likely projection (15-16 minutes a game with pretty decent linemates) is where the rift is created.

If you are projecting where Hodgson will be in two years; I would say 60-65 points is fair.

If you are setting Hodgson's upside in two years I would say 85-90 points is fair.

I think that the difference between best case scenario (injury or trade causing Hodgson to be a #1/1b center) and likely projection (15-16 minutes a game with pretty decent linemates) is where the rift is created.

If he scores 85 - 90 in a season without any major rule/style changes in his career, I will be shocked. Hodgson's career upside looks to be ~60 points.

If he scores 85 - 90 in a season without any major rule/style changes in his career, I will be shocked. Hodgson's career upside looks to be ~60 points.

In his first NHL season as a 21 year old, he's on pace for 43 points, and you're saying his career upside is 60 points? Get a hold of yourself, and give credit where credit is due. Hodgson not only has the on ice vision to make him a 80+ point player in this league but his poise is remarkable. So calm and cool with the puck. I'm sure you were one of the people saying the Sedin's wouldn't make it anywhere in the NHL.

I can't wait until Hodgson starts getting more ice time and starts putting up the points that people like you don't expect him to get.

• 1 year later...

Archived