The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Vancouver Canucks 2011-2012 Magic Number Thread

cleowin

Magic Number Chart 2011-2012:

Welcome back to an exciting year of Playoff countdown! I have changed my direction for this year's Magic Number Thread and it's going to reflect some changes in the way I do this chart. First off, I am now using Microsoft Excel to do the chart as it works easier, and is good with table shuffling, even though I'm not using an actual table.The colour options aren't as extensive as in Word, but I can manage with what I have.

Some of the new columns I added this year include:

PTSP (Maximum Points Possible), PYOFF (Changed from % to just a Playoff Status), X (As in Points needed to clinch a playoff spot), Y (PTS needed to clinch division), Z (Points needed to clinch Conference), and P (Points needed to clinch Presidents Trophy).

As well, I have removed the playoff% as it's a pain to figure out the numbers all the time. The Formula used for the Magic # is as follows:

Team A (Ex: CHI)'s Maximum Points Subtract Vancouver's Current Points Divided by two plus 0.5. Till March, I will only be updating the Western Conference Chart, as the numbers are a bit high to show the entire league. I hope you enjoy this year's countdown! I will be doing updates based on phases:

Phase 1: (January)

Chart Updating with what western teams dropped.

Phase 2: (February)

Chart Updating with clinching Records for Vancouver.

Phase 3: (March/April)

Will add League Table.

As well, the colour coding for this chart is: Green (Means Obtainable), Red (Means Unattainable).

Western Conference Magic Number Chart:

20112012westernconferenx.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Eastern Conference Magic Number Chart:

20112012easternconferen.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now here's some suggestions for you: Would you like to see a league wide table.. a Conference Table, a Division Table, or a mixture? Please be advised that the more tables I gotta make, the more time it'll take me to update each day!

I think you should just include the vital stats. like regulation win, points, magic #, games remaining. The past few magic number charts had goals against, differential +/-, etc, which we can find on nhl.com

I remember the 06/07 had some nice simple graphics to it. Like team icons instead of (VAN, DET, CAL)

Although it's probably way easier to just type it out.

The % of making playoffs is pretty pointless as well. If you have it, maybe do it with 10 games left.

Team Icons was something I pondered this year, and they are pretty simple to move around. But they are a pain with Microsoft Word.. and It's the easiest program for me to use considering tables and all that are incorporated into Word 2010. I planned on trying to use something similar to NHL.com's standings table.. but I dont know if I'm allowed to do so that way, or if I can find the graphics for it.

Update:

I will have the following rows in my table:

TEAM (Possibly with Graphic)

GP

W

L

SOL/OTL

ROW

PTS

PTS MAX

MAGIC #

PYOFF: (Playoff Contention Status (E, X, Y, Z, P)

X (Points needed to clinch a playoff spot)

Y (Points needed to clinch a division spot)

Z (Points needed to clinch a conference spot)

P (Points needed to clinch Presidents Trophy)

I am still deciding on rather or not I will function with just a league table, or two separate conference tables.

Archived