The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US to Start ‘Trade Wars’ with Nations Opposed to Monsanto

Buggernut

Who's arguing against scientific progress? The issue here isn't necessarily that Monsento is tweaking nature (that's a whole other argument). The issue is that the people/government that's supposed to be regulating them has been infiltrated by them. They're "regulating" themselves rather than an external body doing it. And with that freedom they're using the USG to strong arm better profits for themselves.

It's the very definition of corruption and just one of many examples as to why the occupy movement exists.

Thank you JR..I'm strongly against GMO's as well and I think that when a company patents a seed and goes around the world suing organic farmers then something is really wrong with this world..Monsanto,syngenta,Dow chemicals,BASF,and the us government have been in cahoots a long time to get GMO'S into our grocery stores under a cloud of secrecy and disinformation..I suggest people boycott any of their products..I only eat organic and it will stay that way!!..GMO's have been linked to the decline of bee populations as well!There's a reason why GMO's are being banned all over the world..studies show they're not good for you or the environment and the insects that pollinate our food..be smart..check my twitter account for more info.. @dirka41

Another reason to buy organic is to stay away from Monsantos pesticides and herbicides namely "roundup" glysophate which is extremely toxic to humans, insects,pretty much all living things including degrading the minerals in the soil which the food is grown on..Monsanto is bad news..stay away from these chemicals..buy and support organic farmers!!..conventional farming methods are absolutely disgusting!!they ruin our water supply with chemicals and ruin the land and our health..want more reasons to go organic!..follow me on twitter (@dirka41)this is not the appropriate place to talk about a company as evil as Monsanto although people MUST know what they're eating!!

I grew up on a farm in Ladner buddy...don't start posting propaganda saying organic isn't better..they use thirteen times less chemicals..and they don't use Monsantos "glysophate" and organic also means no GMO's..i eat organics and I can tell you first hand that they taste way better..the soil on organic farms contains a substantial amount of more minerals..these minerals are responsible for growing healthy food with lots of phytonutrients..if you think dumping chemicals on foods at an unregulated level is good for you then you need help bud..

Bud no offense but if your gonna trust articles from sources of American mass media that's your choice..there's a reason most countries have banned the practice of GMO's and if they have the produce they have to label it as a GMO...the USA is a money hungry evil country..propaganda is a big tool for them..I suggest you get your news from somewhere else

I didn't read the article..hell no..like I said I grew up on a farm and have watched the bees decline and plant biodiversity decline for years because farmers have to "re-up" the chemicals every two years to fight "super weeds" and "superbugs" mother nature actively fights these chemicals..your a blind man to trust a "propaganda" article..the only food I want is food that's as natural as possible..u can believe what you want..have some common sense about our world and how it works.

And don't think organic farms all use the same practices..organic farms in the united states I wouldn't trust cuz the landscape and competition and pressures are far greater cuz there's more people to feed..I know when I buy local organic food from British columbia it's almost totally chemical free..I do know what conventional farmers do and it's disgusting..my whole family farmed for generations and they were competing against American growers so they had to use chemicals to keep up with washington state yields..don't believe American industry propaganda..use common sense!

Another reason why organic industry is booming because its easier for farmers to find buyers and that's huge!..conventional farmers see that as a threat and will spew all type of bullcrap to make u buy their food..GMO'S is a way for these industrial giants to put organic farmers out of business..if they're patented seeds blow onto an organic field they (Monsanto) can sue that farmer and put him out of business..the USA is also forcing GMO seeds on Iraqi farmers making Iraq a GMO testing ground!..doesn't anyone else think that's evil!!..or just me?

Percy Schmeiser's story is very sad..Monsanto is doing this around the world..look up the story on Monsanto and the Indian cotton farmers..check Monsanto on Wikipedia and just look at the history of the company..they're over 100 years old and very rich and powerful..but they need to be stopped..by far and away the most evil company on the planet in my mind..feel very sad for what they do to "real" farmers:(

• 2 weeks later...
WikiLeaks: More Evidence of Monsanto's Bullying and Influence-Buying

Written by Bob Adelmann

Sunday, 15 January 2012 15:00

The latest revelations from WikiLeaks confirm Monsanto’s continuing efforts to influence governments worldwide to rule in its favor and punish those who won’t.

A cable written in 2007 and released recently by WikiLeaks confirmed the company’s important influence at the very highest levels of the U.S. government. Authored by Craig Stapleton, a friend and business partner of then-president George Bush, the cable outlined a response to resistance from various members of the European Union to adopting GM (genetically modified) crops. At issue specifically was France’s move to ban Monsanto’s GM corn variety:

Country team Paris [stapleton’s code name] recommends that we calibrate a target retaliation list that causes some pain across the EU since this [resistance] is a collective responsibility, but that also focuses in part on the worst culprits. [Emphasis added.]

The list should be measured rather than vicious and must be sustainable over the long term, since we should not expect an early victory. Moving to retaliation will make clear that the current path [of resistance to the adoption of GM crops] has real costs to EU interests and could help strengthen European pro-biotech [pro-GM] voices.

Other leaked cables documented attempts to influence the Pope himself, who was resistant to supporting GM crops. From the U.S. State Department came this effort to influence the Pope: “…[name blacked out] met with U.S. monsignor Fr. Michael Osborn of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum, offering a chance to push the Vatican on biotech issues…” Another cable said: “Opportunities exist to press the issue with the Vatican and in turn to influence a wide segment of the population in Europe and the developing world.”

These illustrated obvious attempts to work around many Catholic priests who oppose GM crops as being potentially dangerous not only to the health of human beings but to the environment as well. For instance, a prominent member of the Vatican, Cardinal Peter Turkson, said that genetically-modified crops are a “new form of slavery,” referring to the “suicide belt of India” where thousands of farmers are committing suicide in desperation over being unable to repay debts incurred to purchase GM seeds.

Anthony Gucciardi, writing for NaturalSociety.com, stated,

Monsanto has undoubtedly infiltrated the United States government in order to push their health-endangering agenda, and this has been known long before the release of these WikiLeaks cables. The U.S. is the only place where Monsanto’s synthetic hormone Posilac is still used in roughly 1/3 of all cows, with 27 nations banning the substance over legitimate health concerns.

Monsanto’s bullying tactics in protecting its patents on its GM seeds are legendary, but are only the tip of the iceberg of the company's attempts to influence policy worldwide. The government of India has filed several lawsuits against Monsanto, while Canada has had its own difficulties with the corporation. The company paid contractors to dump thousands of tons of highly toxic waste in UK landfill sites, knowing both that it was illegal to do so and that these chemicals were “liable to contaminate wildlife and people.”

In January, 2005, Monsanto paid a fine for bribing an Indonesian official to avoid an environmental impact assessment on its GM cotton. In 2007 the company was fined in France for misleading advertising about its product Roundup. In Germany Monsanto’s attempt to breed GM pigs failed due to overwhelming public outcries. In the United States Monsanto continues its attempt to prohibit dairies from advertising that their cows are not injected with the company’s artificial bovine growth hormone.

And so on. What Monsanto has discovered, and has refined over the years, is that it is more profitable to influence legislation in its favor than to compete in a free market. With friends in high places — including Craig Stapleton, Justice Clarence Thomas (who worked for Monsanto in the ‘70s), Michael Taylor (who worked for the Food and Drug Administration, then moved to a law firm that had Monsanto as a client, and then was appointed to the FDA by President Obama in 2009), Michael Friedman (who worked at the FDA and now is a VP at Monsanto), Linda Fisher (who was initially employed by the Environmental Protection Agency and the moved to Monsanto as a VP, and then returned to the EPA in 2001), and former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld (who served as chairman and CEO of G.D. Searle which Monsanto purchased in 1985, putting at least $12 million into his pocket in the process) — Monsanto has developed crony-capitalism into a high art form. WikiLeaks just confirmed it.

I didn't read the article..hell no..like I said I grew up on a farm and have watched the bees decline and plant biodiversity decline for years because farmers have to "re-up" the chemicals every two years to fight "super weeds" and "superbugs" mother nature actively fights these chemicals..your a blind man to trust a "propaganda" article..the only food I want is food that's as natural as possible..u can believe what you want..have some common sense about our world and how it works.

Archived