Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

ICBC Class 5 test

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 OneTreePerNerd

OneTreePerNerd

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hi guys im gonna do the test soon. Any tips ?

What will they ask for you to do ?

Random Hero.

#2 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hi guys im gonna do the test soon. Any tips ?

What will they ask for you to do ?

To drive. :shock:

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#3 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,350 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

It's less intensive as the N test.

But make sure to follow the basic rules - hands at 10 & 2, shoulder check, monitor speed (don't go too slow either).

I did mine out of the Port Coquitlam office, and it was only about 25 minutes, and really it was just driving around, point out hazards etc. I don't recall having to do a parallel park or anything like that. But I did back into the spot at the end of the test, and the tester watched to make sure I shoulder checked and had the hands on the wheel correctly.
Posted Image

#4 OneTreePerNerd

OneTreePerNerd

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

It's less intensive as the N test.

But make sure to follow the basic rules - hands at 10 & 2, shoulder check, monitor speed (don't go too slow either).

I did mine out of the Port Coquitlam office, and it was only about 25 minutes, and really it was just driving around, point out hazards etc. I don't recall having to do a parallel park or anything like that. But I did back into the spot at the end of the test, and the tester watched to make sure I shoulder checked and had the hands on the wheel correctly.

what is a hazard when driving ?

Random Hero.

#5 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

You should really reconsider driving. Vancouver is full of idiot drivers already.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

#6 Patchey

Patchey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,938 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Well, after asking that question, I'd say you're a hazard while driving.
Posted Image

#7 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

Don't listen to those guys, that portion of the driving is ridiculous.
As long as you're paying attention, ANYTHING could potentially be a hazard.
Just point out obvious stuff... If you're in a residential area, which you 99% will be, say things like "kids coming from behind parked cars", or if you're coming near a hill say things like objects not in view beyond hill, or people beyond hill not in view... Mix it up. Mention a dog running out on the road behind a tree or something. I think I've even mentioned if it's windy, tree branches falling on road.

When I did my test I had to parallel park. If you're not good at it, go practice. I remember you just get one shot... Hopefully your test isn't during rush hour, that adds a little pressure while parking, as most people are psychos while driving... And hopefully you got taught how to park properly.

Keep your speed in check, try not to go less than/over 5 of the indicated speed limit at all times, and correct slowly, don't jump speeds too quickly.
Shoulder check, and check blind spots like it's your job. They like when you do it excessively, even though after 9 years of driving I find that if I were to check any more frequently than I already do, I'd probably kill everyone on the road due to lack of focus on what's ahead of me.
I also believe they took me in highway... So make sure you understand how highways work properly. Believe me, some people don't.

Good luck.

I drive for a living before anyone wants to question my driving ability, or approach at this test.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#8 Pitpotpit

Pitpotpit

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

I got mine two days ago, so its still fresh in my mind.

1.)Make sure car is clean

2.) Know your hand signals
3.) Know the general functions of your car

(make everything in this section look obvious)
4.)Shoulder check
5.)Scan intersections
6.)Periodically look in your side and rear view mirrors

7.)Merging onto the highway
8.)Switching lanes
9.)Proper speed when exiting the highway

10.)Parking on common streets and turning your wheel the right way(Uphill or Downhill)
11.)Be comfortable with back parking

0Posted Image

#9 Owen Nolan

Owen Nolan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

people tend to over think these things... Just drive
Posted Image

#10 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:07 PM

I got mine two days ago, so its still fresh in my mind.

1.)Make sure car is clean

2.) Know your hand signals
3.) Know the general functions of your car

(make everything in this section look obvious)
4.)Shoulder check
5.)Scan intersections
6.)Periodically look in your side and rear view mirrors

7.)Merging onto the highway
8.)Switching lanes
9.)Proper speed when exiting the highway

10.)Parking on common streets and turning your wheel the right way(Uphill or Downhill)
11.)Be comfortable with back parking

Fill me in? I need to take the test too lol.

#11 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

Fill me in? I need to take the test too lol.

How the hell can you not know this? I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. My building is on a hill, and I barely ever see cars with wheels turned properly.

Facing downhill - turn wheel into curb. Facing uphill - turn it away from curb. The principle is to give as little space as possible between the wheel of the car and the curb, so if it rolls, there is not enough momentum to jump the curb and keep rolling. Farking common sense.

Posted Image

#12 oh captain my captain

oh captain my captain

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:49 AM

Make sure you make a complete stop at stop signs. I had 5 rolling stops on my class 5 test and was lucky to pass. I did everything else perfectly so the instructor let it slide. You will be going on the highway, but it will be quick. They just want to make sure you can merge properly. I didn't have any parking on my test, and I didn't have to do any hazards or anything. Its simple enough. But as I said at the beginning of my post, make sure you make complete stops. Don't forget to signal/shoulder check.

Edited by oh captain my captain, 06 January 2012 - 02:50 AM.

Thanks VC for the sig.

#13 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

Don't drive. Your adding to the problem. ;)
Posted Image

#14 MeatTornado

MeatTornado

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

There should really be an 'official' thread for things like this, they seem to pop up constantly.

Read the book, shoulder check, use your mirrors, don't speed, watch for signs, don't kill anything.

#15 HockeyNut30

HockeyNut30

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

It's not a test of specific manoeuvres like your N test but rather to see if your a capable and proficient driver overall. I made small talk with my instructor the entire time, asked him what kind of speed he wanted (he said within 10% of posted limit), what was the worst test he ever had, asked if I could jokingly turn on the radio etc. At one point I even mistakenly turned right when he asked me to turn left, but since I made the turn correctly he didn't care. I ended up getting 100% without a single demerit. Shoulder checks and speed are paramount IMO, you'll be fine though. Way easier than Class 7.

Posted Image

#16 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

Are you desperate?
Posted Image

#17 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

You should really reconsider driving. Vancouver is full of idiot drivers already.

Well, after asking that question, I'd say you're a hazard while driving.

Hahahahahahaha gold!
Posted Image

#18 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

Class 5 is a joke test, seriously I drove for 5 minutes on the highway and like 3 minutes on residential streets and the guy was like OK you passed, we can go back now

#19 OneTreePerNerd

OneTreePerNerd

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:23 AM

Class 5 is a joke test, seriously I drove for 5 minutes on the highway and like 3 minutes on residential streets and the guy was like OK you passed, we can go back now

i second that.. thats exactly what it was for me as well.

Random Hero.

#20 OneTreePerNerd

OneTreePerNerd

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

Hahahahahahaha gold!

didnt i call u a peasant last year ? still bitter i see.

Random Hero.

#21 Weber's Playoff Beard

Weber's Playoff Beard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:13 AM

There's lots of hazards

1. Sun in your eyes. or Rain or snow.
2. Children or people or pets randomly running out.
3. Other cars (whether they are parked or moving) And bicycles. Emergency vehicles.
4. Hidden driveway or pedestrians behind cars.
5. Rough, bumpy road.

#22 Fruition

Fruition

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Look at the roads. If there are long, linear bumps on the roads. Tell the examiner how that might affect driviing when it's raining or snowing. Talk about the road ahead, whether the upward or downward slope poses risk for driving with speed, etc.

Also, consider the risks that may occur when driving in nighttime in such road conditions.
Posted Image NHL 12 Sim League GM

Posted Image CDCVHL Assistant GM and AHL GM

#23 OneTreePerNerd

OneTreePerNerd

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

Look at the roads. If there are long, linear bumps on the roads. Tell the examiner how that might affect driviing when it's raining or snowing. Talk about the road ahead, whether the upward or downward slope poses risk for driving with speed, etc.

Also, consider the risks that may occur when driving in nighttime in such road conditions.

Thanks for replying but i've already done the test now and I didn't have to point out hazards. I think they only do that for the Class 7 test or... they do it for class 5 as well but only ask sometimes. Class 5 is about seeing if you can flat out drive or not.

Random Hero.

#24 Patchey

Patchey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,938 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

didnt i call u a peasant last year ? still bitter i see.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 luongo_4_life

luongo_4_life

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

sorry for the bump I have my test tomorrow and have a question:

What is the proper way to merge onto highways? say you are coming off ramp with the speed 60 km/h and you need to merge onto a highway what speed should you speed up to when you merge if there is no speed limit posted? Also at what time so you begin to speed up to that speed. I just don't want to be going to fast and them fail me for that. thanks

#26 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

How the hell can you not know this? I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. My building is on a hill, and I barely ever see cars with wheels turned properly.

Facing downhill - turn wheel into curb. Facing uphill - turn it away from curb. The principle is to give as little space as possible between the wheel of the car and the curb, so if it rolls, there is not enough momentum to jump the curb and keep rolling. Farking common sense.

well, sometimes people don't remember these things or they haven't read the book when they go their L.

sorry for the bump I have my test tomorrow and have a question:

What is the proper way to merge onto highways? say you are coming off ramp with the speed 60 km/h and you need to merge onto a highway what speed should you speed up to when you merge if there is no speed limit posted? Also at what time so you begin to speed up to that speed. I just don't want to be going to fast and them fail me for that. thanks

merging onto highways is just like merging lanes. 2-3km/h over the speed limit to merge, once your in the lane, slow down to speed limit.

and there will always be a speed limit posted once the merge lane disappears, just look ahead, you'll see it. There's no situation where i've merged onto a highway and haven't seen a speed limit sign.

Edited by Thanos, 24 April 2012 - 06:34 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

I really hate those people who slow down when they get into the merge lane.......so don't do that! ;)
Posted Image

#28 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

well, sometimes people don't remember these things or they haven't read the book when they go their L.

Those the people you want driving on your street?

Posted Image

#29 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Drive really fast and ignore all those red lights and stop signs. They are just put there by 'the man' to slow you down!

Posted Image

#30 Demo250

Demo250

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

I just remember driving around and that was it. If you passed the class 7, which obviously you did, you should have no problem passing the class 5. Unless your driving skills somehow got worse during that time...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.