The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC Class 5 test

OneTreePerNerd

It's less intensive as the N test.

But make sure to follow the basic rules - hands at 10 & 2, shoulder check, monitor speed (don't go too slow either).

I did mine out of the Port Coquitlam office, and it was only about 25 minutes, and really it was just driving around, point out hazards etc. I don't recall having to do a parallel park or anything like that. But I did back into the spot at the end of the test, and the tester watched to make sure I shoulder checked and had the hands on the wheel correctly.

It's less intensive as the N test.

But make sure to follow the basic rules - hands at 10 & 2, shoulder check, monitor speed (don't go too slow either).

I did mine out of the Port Coquitlam office, and it was only about 25 minutes, and really it was just driving around, point out hazards etc. I don't recall having to do a parallel park or anything like that. But I did back into the spot at the end of the test, and the tester watched to make sure I shoulder checked and had the hands on the wheel correctly.

I got mine two days ago, so its still fresh in my mind.

1.)Make sure car is clean

2.) Know your hand signals

3.) Know the general functions of your car

(make everything in this section look obvious)

4.)Shoulder check

5.)Scan intersections

6.)Periodically look in your side and rear view mirrors

7.)Merging onto the highway

8.)Switching lanes

9.)Proper speed when exiting the highway

10.)Parking on common streets and turning your wheel the right way(Uphill or Downhill)

11.)Be comfortable with back parking

I got mine two days ago, so its still fresh in my mind.

1.)Make sure car is clean

2.) Know your hand signals

3.) Know the general functions of your car

(make everything in this section look obvious)

4.)Shoulder check

5.)Scan intersections

6.)Periodically look in your side and rear view mirrors

7.)Merging onto the highway

8.)Switching lanes

9.)Proper speed when exiting the highway

10.)Parking on common streets and turning your wheel the right way(Uphill or Downhill)

11.)Be comfortable with back parking

Make sure you make a complete stop at stop signs. I had 5 rolling stops on my class 5 test and was lucky to pass. I did everything else perfectly so the instructor let it slide. You will be going on the highway, but it will be quick. They just want to make sure you can merge properly. I didn't have any parking on my test, and I didn't have to do any hazards or anything. Its simple enough. But as I said at the beginning of my post, make sure you make complete stops. Don't forget to signal/shoulder check.

It's not a test of specific manoeuvres like your N test but rather to see if your a capable and proficient driver overall. I made small talk with my instructor the entire time, asked him what kind of speed he wanted (he said within 10% of posted limit), what was the worst test he ever had, asked if I could jokingly turn on the radio etc. At one point I even mistakenly turned right when he asked me to turn left, but since I made the turn correctly he didn't care. I ended up getting 100% without a single demerit. Shoulder checks and speed are paramount IMO, you'll be fine though. Way easier than Class 7.

Archived