The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

Looks to be an interesting year.

As some blogs (stereogm) have dubbed it, the reunion of the Class of 2009, with new albums expected/announced from:

The xx

Animal Collective

Dirty Projectors

Beach House

Grizzly Bear

Sure, these bands didn't necessarily start in 2009, but they sure established huge success then.

Albums also to be expected from:

Air

Best Coast

Big Pink

Andrew Bird

Matthew Dear

The Dream

Janelle Monae

Field Music

Fleetwood Mac

Islands

Madlib & Freddie Gibs

Madonna

Mazzy Star

The Magnetic Fields

Morrissey

of Montreal

The Shins

Santigold

Spiritualized

Soundgarden

Sleigh Bells

TI

The Walkmen

Yeasayer

Leonard Cohen

Paul McCartney

50 Cent

Kanye West

Bruce Springsteen

Nicki Minaj

No Doubt

Fiona Apple

Garbage

Swans

No Age (ep)

A Place to Bury Strangers (ep)

Die Antrwoord

Dr. Dog

Perfume Genius

Could be:

Modest Mouse

Dr. Dre

Fleet Foxes

Radiohead

Deerhunter

King Krule

jj

and many, many more

Personally, I'm most excited to hear some new Modest Mouse, Springsteen, Grizzly Bear, The Walkmen, and, for some reason, The Shins.

I read an interview with Thom Yorke who said Radiohead may release some more music before the go on tour. We'll see.

I've read a few comments on how Fleet Foxes may release more stuff, but I think that's unlikely.

I'm hopeful that Girls will release another EP and that King Krule will release a full length.

Swans, apparently, are releasing an album that could stretch out over 2 hours.

I heard some rough versions of Animal Collective's new stuff and it definitely wasn't my taste, but who knows how it'll end up?

EDIT: and how can I forgot, THE KNIFE will FINALLY be releasing more stuff. Ugh. So excited

beach house didn't do anything in 2009, glassyjaw

i'm supa stoked for the new anco, it's hard to judge them based on early live versions of their stuff. i hope the new album has lots of avey singin and panda drummin

i'm also stoked cause my brother's band "half moon run" are going to have a huge 2012. i expect their album to be one of my favourites of the year. it drops in march, and then they're doing south by southwest and then touring europe. crazy crazy.

I heard some live stuff they played which was kind of cool, but the main reason I'm excited is how Fall Be Kind EP kind sounded like a natural evolution from Merryweather, so I hope they continue in that direction.

loudnesswar.jpg

Summertime Clothes - Animal Collective

2 Weeks - Grizzly Bear

I've seen worse, but these are still bad.

Most people don't care, and maybe with that it won't change.

But listening to your favourite music with natural dynamic range is just so... it's just right. It's how the music should sound.

I touched on it more in that old thread. Vinyl in most cases seems to be immune to this phenomenon. Not so much because vinyl itself is superior, but the way it's mixed is generally separate from mp3/cd mixes.

I downloaded Metallica's Black Album from a torrent website that was a VINYL rip. When I listened to it and compared it to the mp3/cd version.

It was night and freakin' day.

What is so frustrating is that this has nothing to do with bit rates and music being lossy. It also doesn't mean CD's and mp3's can't be dynamic.

It's that they're being purposely made to sound bad.

Archived