The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

Any Flaming Lips fans here? I've been getting into them recently. Kinda digging some songs, but others just aren't sitting well.

Listened to (most) of that new Chromatics record that p4k just gave a high rating to. Reminded me of M83 at times. Really not my thing... and at 90 minutes, it's just way, way too long for me.

Any Flaming Lips fans here? I've been getting into them recently. Kinda digging some songs, but others just aren't sitting well.

Listened to (most) of that new Chromatics record that p4k just gave a high rating to. Reminded me of M83 at times. Really not my thing... and at 90 minutes, it's just way, way too long for me.

White Rabbits - Milk Famous

homepage_large.7bf54f49.jpg

Kid On My Shoulders, Dinner Party, While We Go Dancing...White Rabbits' Fort Nightly was full of fantastic, energetic, and catchy-as-hell rock songs. It's one of my favourite debut albums by any band.

The next album, It's Frightening, started off similarly with Percussion Gun and Rudie Fails, but then veered off into more restrained, atmospheric grooves and ballads. (A lot of it was attributed to the influence of Spoon frontman Britt Daniel, who was producer.) It was still a great album, but I missed the unrestrained exuberance they started out with.

Now equipped with Spoon's producer, Milk Famous continues in the atmospheric direction. Though another step back from Frightening, it's still quite good. It's certainly nowhere near deserving of the bashing that Pitchfork gave it (5.6? WTH?). But man, I sure miss the band I originally fell in love with.

Highlights: Heavy Metal, Temporary, I Had It Coming

7/10

Dr. John - Locked Down

homepage_large.c5563df8.jpg

If you were wondering where the thick, gutsy blues-rock went on the last Black Keys album...here it is.

Dan Auerbach (Black Keys frontman) produced this album, and his fingerprints are all over it. And really, judging by Dr. John's vocal stylings, his fingerprints were all over the Keys first.

All in all, as far a straightforward blues/funk goes, this is great stuff.

8/10

Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory

homepage_large.6d5f6176.jpg

Pitchfork fawned all over it, so I tried it out...and hated it. Kind of a cross between the Vines and Les Savy Fav, only more "indie". Not really my taste.

That said, it's probably something I would have appreciated as a teenager.

Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory

homepage_large.6d5f6176.jpg

Pitchfork fawned all over it, so I tried it out...and hated it. Kind of a cross between the Vines and Les Savy Fav, only more "indie". Not really my taste.

That said, it's probably something I would have appreciated as a teenager.

i've listened to Port of Morrow all the way through a few times now. it's pretty lyrically amazing, the wordplay is what keeps me engaged through the whole thing. musically, everything sounds so nice and pleasant, but nothing is very exciting or interesting.

overall it's above average to me, but won't make my top 10 albums of the year or anything.

I definitely agree with the last part (I have to be in a teenager state of mind to enjoy it), but man, those comparisons are brutal! Not so much Les Savy Fav, who to me are just a completely uninteresting and inoffensive band, but The Vines!?! When I hear the Cloud Nothings vocals, I'm much more inclined to liken them to Cobain's occasional freak out or pretty much any punk band from the mid 80s. The Vines, to me, are a band that quotes a band that quotes a band that quoted Nirvana. Like a record label just injected them  with heroin and pushed them on stage. Whereas Cloud Nothings seem much more  interested in a more broad spectrum of influences ("Wasted Days" alone sounds like 5 or 6 bands meshed into one 9 minute jam)

I understand that it's not for everyone, but hated it?!

Anyway, the Flaming Lips seem super hit or miss with me. I've listened to Embryonic a couple times in the last few days, and a few of those songs are great (the first track, for example), but some others are just terrible. The first song featuring Karen O is one of the worst songs I think I've ever head. I can't stand that woman. Edit: Er, sorry, it's the "I can be a frog" song that I find so awful.

The one current band/artist that I have longed forever to see live, but have not been able to yet, are the Flaming Lips. I saw them play Jimmy Kimmel, and it was fantastical. And from everything I've heard/seen, they go completely over-the-top to make a show a real show - something spectacular.

51761.6a00d83451b05569e2013480575064970c-pi.jpg

confetti1.jpg

flaminglips-53.jpg

enter_mus-flaminglips_9_mct.jpg

Just looking at those pictures makes me smile uncontrollably.

Archived