The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

i'm posting in here a lot tonight, but i don't care.

new xx album is such girl indie (check it out, squirrel), but damn is the music great. that jamie xx dude is vicious with his production techniques and those subtle but awesome beats

the vocals definitely annoy me after a while (they basically have the exact same tone, and exact same lyrical content that they've always had), but the music is great. one for the right mood for sure.

strong first impression

tell me your head doesn't nod when the beat kicks in on "swept away"

i can't get really fired up about the xx, but i do enjoy listening to them. their new album is pretty damn similar to the last one, but i expected that. their duets are really nice, their voices blend together perfectly. what torrent site do you use glassjaw?

i can't get really fired up about the xx, but i do enjoy listening to them. their new album is pretty damn similar to the last one, but i expected that. their duets are really nice, their voices blend together perfectly. what torrent site do you use glassjaw?

New Yeasayer actually starts out pretty good. Sounds like they mixed a tiny bit of James Blake with their sound, and it works for a while. But by the halfway point, it falls off the rails. And no tracks even come close to their best work (Ambling Alp, I Remember, Tightrope, Sunrise, 2080...). Although not quite the turd that Pitchfork labelled it as, it is still a definite disappointment.

Speaking of Pitchfork-labelled turds, was somewhat excited to see a new album by The Darkness out...but then read the review. Haven't heard any of it yet, but if the cover art is indicative of the creativity that went into it, then P4k's 5.2 is probably generous. Gotta say though, a hair-metal cover version of Radiohead's Street Spirit? That could either be completely awesome, or the worst thing ever.

After their terrible 3rd album, Bloc Party wasn't even on my radar. But P4k gave it a 4.9...even worse than Intimacy?

2012 has been pretty underwhelming so far.

one of bloc party's big problems on the new album is their interest in vocal effects. many of the filters used sound like nu-metal production techniques from 13 years ago

that said, i do think the album has a few redeemable qualities, but after giving it a second listen, i'd downgrade my 6 to maybe a 5 or 5.5.

is intimacy THAT bad? i love silent alarm, and im almost embarrassed to admit that i enjoyed Weekend in the City as well, but I heard SO many bad things about Intimacy that I don't remember actually trying it.

I loved both Silent Alarm, and Weekend, but found Intimacy to be almost a slap in the face. The lead-off song, Ares, is probably one of the worst songs I've ever heard [from a band I actually like(d)]. That said, most of the songs aren't that bad. In fact, a couple of the 'ballady' songs, Biko and Ion Square, are really good. But mostly, in comparison to their first two, I found it a huge fail.

Some critics said Intimacy was actually a high-point for the band, so opinions are definitely mixed. It's worth a listen - just do yourself a favor and skip track 1.

PITCHFORK 1996-2011 READER'S POLL;

http://www.pitchfork.com/peopleslist/

thoughts?

- i'm surprised people rank the shins' 'chutes too narrow' higher than 'oh, inverted world'

- deerhunter deserves higher slots

- helplessness blues is better than self-titled

- pj harvey's 'let england shake' at 140 is a travesty

- the wrens at 185 is even more of a travesty

PITCHFORK 1996-2011 READER'S POLL;

http://www.pitchfork.com/peopleslist/

thoughts?

- i'm surprised people rank the shins' 'chutes too narrow' higher than 'oh, inverted world'

- deerhunter deserves higher slots

- helplessness blues is better than self-titled

- pj harvey's 'let england shake' at 140 is a travesty

- the wrens at 185 is even more of a travesty

Very cool list, I must say. Some incredible music!

It seems the lines between Mainstream Music and "Indie" are becoming more blurred as time passes. I know Indie isn't a genre, but it does suggest to me that an independent label has released an artist's material.

The biggest example... How can Radiohead be considered an "Indie" band? Their newer stuff I can see, but, OK Computer is the #1 "Indie" album on Pitchfork's survey. It was released by EMI, Parlophone and Capitol, hardly independent labels.

I don't understand... :blink:

:towel::canucks:

i think the list is kinda funny. all the albums in the top 10 got above a 9.0 on pitchfork. the list kinda seems to be them saying "look, you all love the music we told you to love!"

at the same time, it's cool seeing what thousands of people's top albums are, and that list was a reminder for me to revisit a lot of stuff.

i think the list is kinda funny. all the albums in the top 10 got above a 9.0 on pitchfork. the list kinda seems to be them saying "look, you all love the music we told you to love!"

at the same time, it's cool seeing what thousands of people's top albums are, and that list was a reminder for me to revisit a lot of stuff.

Archived