The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

The best way to describe the year for me has been that a lot of bands I love have released albums this year, and none of them were their best work. Overall, that's very disappointing. Xiu Xiu, The Walkmen, Stars, Twin Shadow, Swans, The Mynabirds, Sigur Ros & The Shins (those weren't as surprising), Regina Spektor, of Montreal, Marissa Nadler, Grizzly Bear, Matthew Dear, M. Ward, Jens Lekman, Fiona Apple, Flaming Lips, Dirty Projectors (huge letdown on this one), Animal Collective, Andrew Bird, Beach House (are terrible, always)... the list kind of keeps going. It's not that it was a bad year, but it wasn't a good one. But Kishi Bashi is an awesome new find, and the new Shearwater was ok. Probably better than other Shearwater, but they're not really that great.

Any of you guys check out that Divine Fits album? It's basically the singer of Spoon and BC's own Dan Boeckner (Wolf Parade, Handsome Furs) doing a 'super group' thing. Usually super groups suck.

It's actually surprisingly good, in that very 'indie rock' sort of way. But at the same time, there aren't really any surprises, if you know what I mean. How you expect it to sound is exactly how it'll sound. but it's a very solid album

I haven't been able to listen to a lot of full albums this year, but out of the ones I have Lonerism tops them all. There's so many really cool shifts and melodies. Plus the writing is really relatable to me at least.

Can some of you guys maybe toss me a couple titles to check out? I've been really out of the loop for finding new music lately and I wanna get back into it

I haven't been able to listen to a lot of full albums this year, but out of the ones I have Lonerism tops them all. There's so many really cool shifts and melodies. Plus the writing is really relatable to me at least.

Can some of you guys maybe toss me a couple titles to check out? I've been really out of the loop for finding new music lately and I wanna get back into it

few pages back I said Lonerism will be THE album to challenge Grizzly Bear for me. Still stand by that. Lonerism grows on me more with each listen, and there's a series of 3 songs in the middle that are absolutely ridiculous

(music to walk home by / why won't they talk to me / feels like we only go backwards)

kevin parker is an absolute master. wrote the music, played the instruments, produced the album. major talent.

I've tried to get into Fugazi a few times. I really enjoy a few songs, but I dunno, not my thing overall. When I was a teenager I loved Minor Threat and Rites of Spring, so it seems a given that I'd enjoy Fugazi as an adult, but I just... don't. The Evens (Ian Mackaye's other, softer, more indie rock band) has a new album coming out, so I'm really excited to hear that.

Archived