The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

Andrew Bird is getting progressively less adventurous and sliding more into a niche older dude folk mentality. It's not that anything he did on Noble Beast, Break It Yourself or Hands of Glory is bad or anything, but his stuff with Bowl of Fire and his first few albums under just Andrew Bird blow anything he's done in the past few years out of the water.

The Civil Wars might call it quits...

The Civil Wars Cancel Tour Using Divorce Language

by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NASHVILLE, Tenn. November 6, 2012, 07:29 pm ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Grammy-winning duo The Civil Wars have canceled their upcoming tour dates, citing irreconcilable differences.

The folk-pop duo Joy Williams and John Paul White released a statement Tuesday announcing that because of "internal discord and irreconcilable differences of ambition" they were unable to "continue as a touring entity at this time."

Although they used the language of divorce, the duo added, "Our sincere hope is to have new music for you in 2013."

Williams and White are both married, but to other people. Williams had a baby this summer with husband Nate Yetton, the duo's manager.

Earlier this year the pair canceled part of their European tour.

The duo found unexpected success with their 2011 debut album, "Barton Hollow." With backgrounds in gospel and rock, they met when they were both asked to contribute to a country project and found chemistry.

Back then, the pair framed their partnership in terms of courting. White told The Associated Press that after two songwriting sessions, "I finally got up the nerve to ask her out, as it were."

"In a musical way," Williams said.

I enjoy a very minimal score. I've always been a fan of Philip Glass' work (I nearly cried 10 times during his performance in Victoria). The Glass score for Dracula doesn't go great with the movie (naturally it was added to a re-release of the originally score-less film), but as a stand alone piece of music, Dracula is absolutely amazing.

I also enjoy Michael Nyman's work, and some of Yann Tiersen's work is great too, even though he directly borrows from Glass in many cases.

Well, I have no use for Alice in Chains anymore, but when Jar of Flies came out, it was the shiznit. Pearl Jam's Merkinball was short, but had two of their best songs ever. Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim were fantastic, but my experience with them are as a combined album.

This year Daniel Rossen's album would be my fave (so far). But I haven't got around to the Antlers or Frightened Rabbit yet. And I just got started on Dum Dum Girls' End of Daze, which is outstanding, and could easily take top spot. Actually, it may end up one of my top-10 albums of the year, EP-status be damned.

I can't think of one memorable EP from last year. But Dum Dum Girls released one (He Gets Me High), and after hearing this year's, I'll definitely be looking for that. The year before had that Dirty Projectors and Bjork album, which was cool, and The Tallest Man On Earth, which I never found a copy of.

I have to say my personal favourite EP's of all time are the My Iron Lung and Airbag/How's My Driving? EP's from Radiohead. Then, probably Young Liars by TV On The Radio.

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies

Animal Collective - Fall Be Kind

Animal Collective and Vashti Bunyan - Prospect Hummer

Black Flag - Nervous Breakdown

Burial - Kindred

Dead Kennedys - In God We Trust Inc.

Fugazi - s/t

Minor Threat - s/t

Modest Mouse - Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks

R.E.M. - Chronic Town

Radiohead - Airbag/How Am I Driving?

Radiohead - Com Lag

Shabazz Palaces - Of Light

Toro y Moi - Freaking Out

...that originally started out as a top ten i swear

my favourite might be "i might be wrong" by radiohead. them at their absolute live peak, that version of "like spinning plates" is absurdly good.

i really loved Undersea by the Antlers this year, as well as the Dirty Projectors EP. last year had the Submarine soundtrack by alex turner which was released as an EP, i loved that.

other all time favourites: Airbag/How am I driving, Fall be Kind, Zebra EP, Broken Dreams Club.

i've kinda hit a wall for new music this year, don't know what to check out next. any suggestions?

Probably too top 40 for you guys, but I just got the Alex Clare album "the lateness of the hour" and is incredible. Start to finish its great. Only $6.99 on iTunes. I haven't liked an entire album this much since Megalithic Symphony by Awolnation. I actually like this better. Awesome Jazz licks mixed with electronica and an incredibly soul full voice. My album of the year.

my favourite might be "i might be wrong" by radiohead. them at their absolute live peak, that version of "like spinning plates" is absurdly good.

i really loved Undersea by the Antlers this year, as well as the Dirty Projectors EP. last year had the Submarine soundtrack by alex turner which was released as an EP, i loved that.

other all time favourites: Airbag/How am I driving, Fall be Kind, Zebra EP, Broken Dreams Club.

i've kinda hit a wall for new music this year, don't know what to check out next. any suggestions?

Animal Collective and Modest Mouse have both released EPs that are actually better than most of their albums, I think. Weird.

I'd say Animal Collective's "Prospect Hummer" is the best thing that band released, other than Feels.

Modest Mouse's last EP (No One's First...) was better than their last full length, I thought. In fact Autumn Beds and Whale Song are probably my two favourite MM songs in the Float On-era, I think. "Night on the Sun" is a great EP too.

Like D-Money doesn't have any use for Alice in Chains, I certainly have no use for Nine Inch Nails, but I don't think there's any denying that their EP "Broken" is just as good as anything that band released. Maybe only second to Downward Spiral, imo.

Deerhunter's Flourescent Grey might be my favourite work by that band, which says a lot because I love (love LOVE) almost everything they do.

LSD and the Search for God released a 5 song EP which is my favourite shoegaze music not created by MBV. But that band totally disappeared after its release.

Totally agree with people mentioning The Antlers too. Undersea is probably my favourite work of theirs.

And great call on Broken Dreams Club from Girls. Aaaaabsolutely amazing stuff.

And I've heard lots of good stuff about Dum Dum Girls, but never bothered. I'll get on that.

Archived