The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

^ watched that video, it's incredible hey? i'm a total sucker for anything '67 beatles-y. funny that he plays a rickenbacker and the bassist plays a hofner, they aren't shying away from anything.

speaking of which, i was seriously toying with seeing sir paul yesterday, ended up not going, too expensive. i heard he played like 15 of his beatles songs, a lennon solo song, some harrison songs and loads of wings stuff. would have been pretty cool...closed with golden slumbers/carry that weight/the end, i probably would have cried haha

speaking of which, i was seriously toying with seeing sir paul yesterday, ended up not going, too expensive. i heard he played like 15 of his beatles songs, a lennon solo song, some harrison songs and loads of wings stuff. would have been pretty cool...closed with golden slumbers/carry that weight/the end, i probably would have cried haha

I have started putting together a rough list of my favourites. However, I don't want to finish it until I have heard Divine Fits.

Three of my favourite albums of the last decade had Dan Boeckner (Wolf Parade, Handsome Furs) on them, and another two had Britt Daniel (Spoon). So it's a good guess that I'm going to enjoy an album with both of them.

which raises the interesting question: How many "good" songs does an album need to be considered "good" as a whole? How many great songs, to be considered great, etc.? Or is it not about individual songs, just a general feel / consistency, etc.

Hmm!

The best way to describe the year for me has been that a lot of bands I love have released albums this year, and none of them were their best work. Overall, that's very disappointing. Xiu Xiu, The Walkmen, Stars, Twin Shadow, Swans, The Mynabirds, Sigur Ros & The Shins (those weren't as surprising), Regina Spektor, of Montreal, Marissa Nadler, Grizzly Bear, Matthew Dear, M. Ward, Jens Lekman, Fiona Apple, Flaming Lips, Dirty Projectors (huge letdown on this one), Animal Collective, Andrew Bird, Beach House (are terrible, always)... the list kind of keeps going. It's not that it was a bad year, but it wasn't a good one. But Kishi Bashi is an awesome new find, and the new Shearwater was ok. Probably better than other Shearwater, but they're not really that great.

Archived