The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

the Bonnaroo lineup has some amazing stuff, and then some really terrible stuff.

i'm not sure if i'll go again this year. i'd love to see radiohead, bon iver, the antlers, rhcp, st. vincent, the beach boys, flying lotus, phantogram, kurt vile, tune yards, and some other stuff on there.

on the other hand, there's a lot of boring jam band stuff, and i don't want to support skrillex, childish gambino, mac miller, two door cinema club, alice cooper, etc.

Since this year is starting off super, super slow, I've been listening to a lot of great stuff from the last few years, and Chad Vangaalen really, really stands out.

If I had to go back and re-work my best of the year list, I'd definitely slot his Diaper Island in my top 5.

Deserves more recognition, what with being a Canadian kid and all.

It's like shoegaze folk music, if such a thing exists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uFSa6Lekg4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jv2IWh3NQ4

the Bonnaroo lineup has some amazing stuff, and then some really terrible stuff.

i'm not sure if i'll go again this year. i'd love to see radiohead, bon iver, the antlers, rhcp, st. vincent, the beach boys, flying lotus, phantogram, kurt vile, tune yards, and some other stuff on there.

on the other hand, there's a lot of boring jam band stuff, and i don't want to support skrillex, childish gambino, mac miller, two door cinema club, alice cooper, etc.

How is tennessee? Probably strange of me to say, but I've always wanted to pass through those southern states and just see how people live in small town southern america

Did you do any sight seeing (if such a thing exists there), or did you just go for the concert and split?

Not 2012 related but this probably as a good a place as any.

I've never been a big radiohead fan even though I listen to a lot of similar music, mostly because I'm not familiar with their a lot of their stuff and never know where to begin. I am of course familiar with most of their hits (though I didn't always know who they were by) and have made past attempts to listen to more than just their singles.

I love Karma Police, and a while ago I decided i'd download OK Computer as my first full album to listen to. Long story short I didn't listen to it much, the few songs I did listen to didn't really appeal to me, some were pretty weird (not usually a deal breaker for me) so I kind of dropped listening to RH. Though as i'd hear their songs on the radio or other places I always enjoy them and knew that there had to be more of their music that I would enjoy, but again never know where to start and OK Computer didn't seem like a great place.

Then this morning my clock radio went off with High and Dry playing and I had it stuck in my head all day. I've of course heard this song many times before (though I didn't realize it was RH till a few months ago). So I decided I would give RH another shot and I downloaded The Bends today.

I gotta say it is great! It's been a long time since i've listened to an album the whole way through for the first time and liked every song. Usually there will be a handful that stand out and the rest will seem neither good nor bad, and over time I will grow to like the whole album. This is the way it's gone for a lot of my favourite albums, but again it has been a long time since i've come across an album with such immediate appeal.

So basically I want to know, for big Radiohead fans how does this album compare to their others in your opinion, and where should I go once i've thoroughly enjoyed this one?

^ i'm a radiohead FANATIC. they are and always will be my favourite band.

The Bends is my second least favourite Radiohead album. that isn't to say i don't like it, some of the songs (street spirit, fake plastic trees, bones, planet telex) are amongst my favourite radiohead songs. it's just that i think all of their other albums (except Pablo Honey, which is crap) are way way better.

but, like you, The Bends was the first Radiohead album i got into. so keep going in chronological order, it's exciting!

after The Bends comes Ok Computer, one of the most acclaimed albums of all time. it's got a lot of their biggest songs like Karma Police and Paranoid Android. it takes the alternative guitar rock vibe of The Bends and throws in some electronic elements, some more interesting song structures and themes, some really creepy and disturbing bits (climbing up the walls, fitter happier) and is kinda considered a concept album because all the songs kinda have related themes about technology and feeling alone and stuff. if you liked the bends, you'll LOVE Ok Computer. Paranoid Android and Exit Music especially are masterpieces.

the next album is Kid A which is where things get weird. a lot of the songs have heavy heavy vocal effects and there aren't many guitars or acoustic drums. Kid A is also considered one of the greatest albums of all time by some people. thom yorke was really depressed during the recordings, and it took like a year for them to record it. you might not like it, a lot of people got turned off of radiohead by it. i think it's amazing, one of the most interesting and refreshing albums of all time. all of the songs flow into each other, and listening to it is definitely an experience.

Amnesiac is kinda like Kid A except even weirder, with some really jazzy stuff and a song that sounds backwards. it's a pretty dark album and it kinda bums me out, but it might also be my favourite.

Hail to the Thief might be the most similar to The Bends in some regards, so if you don't like Ok Computer, it might be the best album to check out next. it was recorded really fast (like 3 weeks) and isn't too cohesive or anything, just a mix of a bunch of songs. some of it is slow and acoustic, some of it is really electronic, and quite a bit of it is really dark and creepy (check out Wolf At the Door)

In Rainbows is where radiohead started focusing on sounding really beautiful. most of the vocals and guitar parts are drenched in reverbs and delay, and the songs all just sound really pretty and perfect. In Rainbows is probably the most pleasant album to listen to, and i can't imagine anyone ever not liking it, unless they thought it was boring which i could see.

and then there's The King of Limbs which came out a few months ago. it took me a long time to warm up to it, but it's also great. thom yorke is really into hip hop and electronic music now, and that shines through a lot, but there are some nice piano ballads and stuff. basically if you've made it this far into the discography, you're probably going to like this album.

i don't know why i wrote so much haha. i read this quote once about how "writing about music makes as much sense as dancing about architecture," which i agree with. anyway, i hope some of that made sense and helps you get into radiohead.

of all the festivals so far this year, I think Bonaroo beats them all

Radiohead, The Shins, The Beach Boys (they sounded pretty good at the grammys), Bon Iver, Kurt Vile, War on Drugs are all bands I'd like to see

Bad Brains could be interesting too, in a festival setting

I first heard Grimes on Radio 3, but never really gave her much of a listen, as it's not really my style. Even after the Best New Music p4k review, I can't be bothered.

However, she is Canadian, and this song is seriously good. So maybe I should re-consider.

Love when that beat kicks in.

I'm throwing in an alternative Radiohead view from Hume, for the sake of Audiophile.

OK Computer is wonderful, but more as breaking the mold, and creating something new and exciting. But on a strictly musical standpoint, The Bends is probably the best Radiohead album of all time. At one time I thought differently, but going back to them, I now feel that OK Computer suffers a bit from the weight of trying to break the "rules" a bit too much. Paranoid Android was cool because it is crazy and different, but when you get older and just want to hear a good song, it can sometimes seem forced and contrived. But Just and Bones rock just has hard today as they ever did. And Street Spirit, Fake Plastic Trees, and Bulletproof have never been more beautiful.

Kid A and Amnesiac were equally interesting and infuriating to me. Why infuriating? Because the resistance to normalcy that slightly dominated OK Computer completely takes over these albums.

I still think that if you took the various ideas from both albums (which were recorded at the same time), along with the fantastic B-Sides, and combined them simply to make the best selection of songs that you could (as opposed to focusing primarily on defying standards), you would end up with the greatest album of all time. Instead, you get moments of pristine awesomeness, such as the breakdown/reformation of How To Completely Disappear (the most powerful 16 bars of music ever recorded, IMO), alongside the "who gives a s**t" of the overly long brass section wanking of The National Anthem (great song...could have been soooo much better), and the uselessness of Treefingers. Or the mind-blowing ghost timing of Pyramid Song (still can't figure it out until the drums come in), leading into the befuddled Pull/Pulk Revolving Doors. It annoys me how fantastic pieces of those albums are, and how they nearly sabotaged them with self-righteous excess.

Hail To The Thief was very good. In Rainbows was even better. King of Limbs was a step back for me...probably their weakest album since Pablo Honey. But really, their 3rd best "album" isn't an album at all - it is their huge catalogue of B-sides.

Audiophile, do yourself a favor, and download at least some the following songs:

The Trickster, Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong, Lewis (Mistreated), Maquiladora, Killer Cars, How Can You Be Sure, Banana Co, Polyethylene, Pearly, Meeting in the Aisle, Lull, Palo Alto, The Amazing Sounds of Orgy, Kinetic, Fog, Paperbag Writer...

These are all Radiohead B-sides. Songs they didn't even bother putting on an album. You have enough here for an extra-length album, and yet, despite being "cast-offs", you will find it rivals the best work of most bands. THIS is where you will realize, that despite their foibles, Radiohead is simply one of - if not THE - greatest band of our time.

Back to 2012 music now...here are some new albums I just loaded in my iPod, and hope to listen to thoroughly this week:

1) Shearwater, Animal Joy

2) Django Django, Self-titled

3) Mark Lanegan Band, Blues Funeral

4) Islands, A Sleep & A Forgetting

Especially looking forward to Mark Lanegan's new one. Both Bubblegum, and the recent Soulsavers albums were fantastic. Have loved everything he's done since leaving Screaming Trees.

The Trickster, Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong, Lewis (Mistreated), Maquiladora, Killer Cars, How Can You Be Sure, Banana Co, Polyethylene, Pearly, Meeting in the Aisle, Lull, Palo Alto, The Amazing Sounds of Orgy, Kinetic, Fog, Paperbag Writer...

i've been on a trip-hop kick lately.

i've been listening to a lot of Massive Attack (mostly Mezzanine) and Portishead (mostly Dummy and Third) and Phantogram.

laid back, bassy, jazzy, sample infused electronic music with good guitar riffs..can't beat it.

I'm throwing in an alternative Radiohead view from Hume, for the sake of Audiophile.

OK Computer is wonderful, but more as breaking the mold, and creating something new and exciting. But on a strictly musical standpoint, The Bends is probably the best Radiohead album of all time. At one time I thought differently, but going back to them, I now feel that OK Computer suffers a bit from the weight of trying to break the "rules" a bit too much. Paranoid Android was cool because it is crazy and different, but when you get older and just want to hear a good song, it can sometimes seem forced and contrived. But Just and Bones rock just has hard today as they ever did. And Street Spirit, Fake Plastic Trees, and Bulletproof have never been more beautiful.

Kid A and Amnesiac were equally interesting and infuriating to me. Why infuriating? Because the resistance to normalcy that slightly dominated OK Computer completely takes over these albums.

I still think that if you took the various ideas from both albums (which were recorded at the same time), along with the fantastic B-Sides, and combined them simply to make the best selection of songs that you could (as opposed to focusing primarily on defying standards), you would end up with the greatest album of all time. Instead, you get moments of pristine awesomeness, such as the breakdown/reformation of How To Completely Disappear (the most powerful 16 bars of music ever recorded, IMO), alongside the "who gives a s**t" of the overly long brass section wanking of The National Anthem (great song...could have been soooo much better), and the uselessness of Treefingers. Or the mind-blowing ghost timing of Pyramid Song (still can't figure it out until the drums come in), leading into the befuddled Pull/Pulk Revolving Doors. It annoys me how fantastic pieces of those albums are, and how they nearly sabotaged them with self-righteous excess.

Hail To The Thief was very good. In Rainbows was even better. King of Limbs was a step back for me...probably their weakest album since Pablo Honey. But really, their 3rd best "album" isn't an album at all - it is their huge catalogue of B-sides.

Audiophile, do yourself a favor, and download at least some the following songs:

These are all Radiohead B-sides. Songs they didn't even bother putting on an album. You have enough here for an extra-length album, and yet, despite being "cast-offs", you will find it rivals the best work of most bands. THIS is where you will realize, that despite their foibles, Radiohead is simply one of - if not THE - greatest band of our time.

and if we're purely discussing modern bands (as in early-mid 80s-present), then I wonder where Damon Albarn, as an individual, would rank?

He's proven himself to be quite diverse in his work with Blur alone, not to mention Gorillaz, and his other side projects.

Surely as far as individuals go, Albarn would be a serious contender for best of the modern era?

Or am I overrating him?

Archived