The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

Daniel Rossen - Silent Hour/Golden Mile [EP]

DanielRossenSilentHour600Gb.jpg

Just the other day I was listening to Veckatimest, thinking I can't wait for the next Grizzly Bear album (due later this year). Well now...I sort of don't have to.

These were songs originally written for the next Grizzly Bear album, but probably didn't fit. They are more straightforward, being primarily acoustic guitar driven (or piano, on Saint Nothing). But Rossen's distinctive voice and excellent songwriting shine through.

8.5/10

The Shins - Port of Morrow

The-Shins-Port-of-Morrow.jpg

There's something to be said for simplicity. When the lead singer of Girls sings about finding a girl who loves him for who he is - as much as his mother did - it's heartwarming. It's a simple lyric, but one that touches everyone who's had a loving mother.

But James Mercer is one of those guys who thinks he's smarter than everyone else. He crams more words into his pop songs than some rappers do in theirs, and rarely repeats a line - choruses be damned. But when he starts spouting things like: "Make me a drink strong enough - to wash away this dishwasher world they said was lemonade" (No Way Down)... ...how are you supposed to connect to that?

It's a shame, because some of the highs on this album are outstanding. The music is consistently great, but gets cluttered often. Similarly, the convoluted vocal melodies often weave around the music in interesting - almost inspiring - ways, but then suffers from trying to do too much.

Those guys who think they're smarter than everyone else? Truth is, sometimes they are. But nobody likes them for it.

6/10

new Beach House album "Bloom" is available ("available") now.

I'm majorly disappointed in it, after one listen. While I love their sound, Bloom definitely lacks the immediate brilliance of Teen Dream, which is a freakishly good album. Teen Dream could have 4 or 5 legitimately great singles, whereas only one song on Bloom really stood out to me.

Like I said, I love their general sound, so I'm hoping it grows on me (I had similar feelings with the last Fleet Foxes album)... but man, after one listen, I'm disappointed.

Andrew Bird - Break It Yourself

AndrewBird_BreakitYourself_Albumx600.jpg

When I first listened to this album, I was busy working, and didn't have much time to really listen closely. I remember thinking, "Wow, I never expected Andrew Bird to mail it in like this." man, was I ever wrong.

Rather than relying on bombastic pop, Bird elects for simple, restrained brilliance. The kind that reveals itself more with each listen.

The solo on Desperation Breeds... is wacky and wonderful, but things really take off at the 2:06 point of the 3rd track, Danse Carribe - then Andrew lets his strings soar. The high point of the album is definitely Orpheo Looks Back, which has the most interesting violin work I've heard in years.

8.5/10

this Daniel Rossen sounds JUST like Grizzly Bear. It's kind of weird. I mean, I know he's IN Grizzly Bear, but he joined the band after "Horn of Plenty" -- so if you compare Horn of Plenty to Yellow House and Vecketamist (or whatever), it's weird to see how big of an influence this Rossen dude had. I wonder if he's the go-to guy of the band, or what.

gave the new Lotus Plaza album a few listens, too. It's pretty good, but not as good as his first. Lotus Plaza being the guitarist for Deerhunter (and occasional front man (i.e. Desire Lines)). In my second listen I was definitely enjoying it more than the first, so maybe it'll get better with time.

Archived