975 replies to this topic

#31 That Person

That Person

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

If the Strokes end up releasing a new album this year (though I'm thinking 2013 is more likely), I'm going to be looking forward to that! Looking forward to the new Killers album.

I heard rumours of new Queens of the Stone Age and Pearl Jam this year?

Edited by That Person, 10 January 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#32 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

last year i decided to do my first major festival. coachella was during exams, lollapalooza looked dumb because the headliners were like coldplay and muse and stuff, and sasquatch didn't interest me because i don't like the foo fighters, or death cab, or most of those bands besides like deerhunter and modest mouse. so i did bonnaroo, which was cool.

if sasquatch had a good lineup i would love to go though, it's super close and the gorge looks so beautiful.

i'm on the fence about coachella. on one hand, i've already seen 8 of those bands, and i don't know if i'm ready for another huge corporation-run mess of thousands upon thousands of annoying people and third world living conditions and overpriced everything.

on the other hand, i've always wanted to drive to cali, my friend has family friends in Indio with a place we could stay before and after, and i love radiohead with the fury of a thousand suns. so we'll see.

I've never been to a major festival, so can't really say on that. Sasquatch would seem a lot more doable, but idk if there line-ups have been as good. Also, what's up with the two weekend thing for Coachella?

Posted Image

#33 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

Also, I got Black Keys today, pumped for that show.

Posted Image

#34 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

I've never been to a major festival, so can't really say on that. Sasquatch would seem a lot more doable, but idk if there line-ups have been as good. Also, what's up with the two weekend thing for Coachella?

i think it's just a way of making the festival twice as big, without having the consequences of having twice as many people there AT ONCE. seems smart to me.

i don't know how they managed to sign a lot of these bands to play their festival. Jeff Mangum? GYBE? they don't seem like the type of bands that are into that scene at all.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#35 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Yeah didn't glassjaw make a joke about Jeff Mangum playing Coachella a while back

Posted Image

#36 burrkeshanlon

burrkeshanlon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:03 AM

I thought I seen somewhere that Sigur Ros is releasing a new album

Anyone verify?
http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2408928/burrows-scooores-o.gif

#37 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,773 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

I thought it was my turn, Glasjaw!!!

JK - I was "unavailable" (read: chillin in Jamaica), and just got back.

As for confirmed releases, I'm looking forward to these ones the most:

The xx
Animal Collective
Grizzly Bear
Andrew Bird
Field Music
The Magnetic Fields
The Shins
Sleigh Bells
The Walkmen
Yeasayer
Bruce Springsteen
No Doubt

There are few recent albums that I go back to as often as xx and Lisbon. And I've always had a soft spot for No Doubt.
Posted Image

#38 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

Yeah didn't glassjaw make a joke about Jeff Mangum playing Coachella a while back

idk, but when you think about it, it's kind of strange to have him performing at Occupy Wall St. and then Coachella a month or two later.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#39 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

I thought I seen somewhere that Sigur Ros is releasing a new album

Anyone verify?

The Wall Street Journal recently visited the band in their Icelandic studio, where they’ve been at work for a while. Right now, they’re planning to release an as-yet-untitled LP in the spring. Birgisson calls the new album “floaty and minimal.” And while “floaty” is an adjective that could conceivably be applied to just about any Sigur Rós album, “minimal” sure isn’t. Bassist Goggi Hólm, meanwhile, calls the album “introverted,” and drummer Orri Dýrason calls it “an ambient album” with “a slow takeoff toward something.” The Journal‘s Jim Fusilli, meanwhile mentions hearing a track with choral voices and, possibly, a pipe organ adding to the general uplift. These all seem like very good reasons to start getting excited.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#40 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

I wasn't too excited for the new Lee Ranaldo album, considering his previous work has been weird, "avant garde" noise stuff.

But apparently his solo album is work he did with a few other musicians, including his Sonic Youth bandmate/drummer, and Wilco's lead guitarist Nels Cline.

It actually sounds like a typical Sonic Youth song, but with a bit of a country edge to it.

Really enjoying the first single a lot. Super psyched for the album now. I've always enjoyed Ranaldo's voice and "his" songs in Sonic Youth.

http://www.pitchfork...o-off-the-wall/

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#41 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:17 AM

seriously can't get over this song

so amazing

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#42 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

^ i listened to that 5 or 6 times in a row yesterday, it's probably already my favourite Shins song ever after "new slang."
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#43 Serum25

Serum25

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

you forgot Anjulie's "brand new chick"

so lively
Posted Image

#44 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:04 AM

Whooaaa, new Springsteen single to be released this week, on friday I believe. And the album (which I thought was coming out in the fall), will actually be released in March!

Summer tour? I sure hope so.

As far as classic rock musicians go, Springsteen is high up there for me.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#45 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,773 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Whooaaa, new Springsteen single to be released this week, on friday I believe. And the album (which I thought was coming out in the fall), will actually be released in March!

Summer tour? I sure hope so.

As far as classic rock musicians go, Springsteen is high up there for me.

That's one guy I GOTTA see live. Who knows when he'll suddenly pack it up, and I'll be kicking myself for missing him.
Posted Image

#46 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

i downloaded that 4 song Lana Del Rey EP to see what everyone has been freaking out about. i actually really like it, i think her songwriting is pretty good.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#47 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

So disney is selling mickey mouse joy division shirts hahaha

Posted Image

#48 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

Said the Whale is coming out with a new album in March (supposed date). Countdown starts now!
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#49 catapult

catapult

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

Great new Magnetic Fields song (the synths are back!!), and their new album is out in early March, I believe. Having just recently experienced a breakup, I've had the entire MF discography on repeat for the past day or so. Already have my ticket for their show at the Vogue. I've heard their live shows are splendid.

#50 _Kick_Save_

_Kick_Save_

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

I am loving Lana Del Rey. buying Born to Die as soon as it comes out.
Posted Image

#51 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,773 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjOJjP2pXdo

Great new Magnetic Fields song (the synths are back!!), and their new album is out in early March, I believe. Having just recently experienced a breakup, I've had the entire MF discography on repeat for the past day or so. Already have my ticket for their show at the Vogue. I've heard their live shows are splendid.

When are they playing?

I saw them play the Vogue while touring for 'I'. Percussion and drums are usually one of my favourite parts of a live show, and they used none. They also sat down most of the show, and used sheet music. And yet, I absolutely loved every minute of it!

I'm a huge 69 Love Songs and 'I' fan, but I had mixed feelings over Distortion/Reality. Will be looking forward to the new release.
Posted Image

#52 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

My source for music was a MegaUpload dumping site which was loaded with pretty much every album you can think of, within minutes of its leaking.

But now that MegaUpload is done for, every link is pretty much broken.

Ughhhhh. I'm lost

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#53 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Joel Plaskett is releasing a song per week right now. He'll have a 10-song album by the end of all this.

CBC Radio 3 is my new best friend.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw, 25 January 2012 - 04:59 PM.

Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#54 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

for those who have 9 minutes to spare, this song is an absolute gem.

i love long songs.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#55 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

New Leonard Cohen album is available on NPR, too. If anyone wants to listen.

A couple of dud songs, imo, but I listened to it while doing homework and it was perfect mood music.

http://www.npr.org/2...d-ideas?ps=cprs

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#56 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

I failed to find the Hip Hop thread, and I doubt there are many rap lovers visiting this one, but in case there are, the follow up to one of the greatest rap albums ever is DONE! Sir DZL will be dropping Deltron Event 2, along with 2 mixtapes in the not too distant future.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#57 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:08 AM

Is the new Cloud Nothing any good? I wasn't really a huge fan of thier early stuff but I heard their new album was pretty different.

Posted Image

#58 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

Is the new Cloud Nothing any good? I wasn't really a huge fan of thier early stuff but I heard their new album was pretty different.

i've only listened to it once, but personally i didn't like it much at all.

kinda sounds like an indie Billy Talent to me, haha

i plan on giving it another try though
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#59 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

I never heard the first album, but I definitely enjoy the new Cloud Nothings. Not normally my type of music, and not something I'll listen to often, but it's good for the right mood

And... Atlas Sound is in Vancouver next month. Think I may have to make the trip over, even if I can't find a concert date. I've missed every Deerhunter/Atlas Sound show ever, due to some ridiculous circumstance. NOT THIS TIME!

Hope he plays solo, and not with a band. I'll take whatever I can get.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#60 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

bradford cox is just an awesome human, i think i might go see Atlas Sound in vancouver. i saw Deerhunter in the summer and it was one of the best shows i've ever seen.

i'm listening to that "Howler" album. i'm a sucker for garage rock like the strokes, the white stripes, wavves etc, and this isn't bad for sure.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.