975 replies to this topic

#631 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

is that the one with chocolate girl on it? that's a good tune. not really a fan of their early stuff though. pretty interesting to listen to and hear where they got their start, and where their origins were, imo

not exactly easy listening

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#632 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

is that the one with chocolate girl on it? that's a good tune. not really a fan of their early stuff though. pretty interesting to listen to and hear where they got their start, and where their origins were, imo

not exactly easy listening

chocolate girl is off their first album, which actually has 4-5 really good songs. yeah their early stuff is pretty weird. a lot of the time its just the sound quality, the high frequencies are almost physically unlistenable sometimes.

Posted Image

#633 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

whaaaaaaaaaaaat a a document reissue only got an 8.2 on pitchfork?

Posted Image

#634 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

i havent listened to Document in a long, long time, but i've always really loved REM. it's so weird how under appreciated they are. what a great band. regret not seeing them with modest mouse a few years back. what an idiot i am.

was it you who was a fan of the shins record this year? i was so down on it for so long, but ive been listening to them SO much lately, it's like i've really discovered the band beyond their few obvious hits.

always enjoyed 'oh inverted world', but now i'd rank it probably in my all time top 10 list, and Port of Morrow is now one of top albums of the year. even though i still genuinely despise two of the songs (it's only life, and the fool one)

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#635 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

nah, i actually haven't even listened to the whole thing yet, i still have it sitting on my hard drive somewhere though. i haven't been in the mood to listen to the shins for a long time now, but i'll have to check out port of morrow. i find on most of their albums there are about 5-8 songs i really enjoy and then a couple filler tracks.

Posted Image

#636 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

which raises the interesting question: How many "good" songs does an album need to be considered "good" as a whole? How many great songs, to be considered great, etc.? Or is it not about individual songs, just a general feel / consistency, etc.

Hmm!

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#637 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:10 AM

to me, over half the songs have to be really great and the other stuff has to at least be fitting or enjoyable for me to consider an album great.

some of my favourite albums have a song or two that i hate, like Ok Computer and Electioneering, or Strawberry Jam and #1, Abbey Road and Here Comes the Sun and like a thousand more.

Edited by Hume, 26 September 2012 - 12:12 AM.

i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#638 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

why does everyone hate Electioneering, it sounds a little out of place in between fitter happier and karma police, but if it was a little earlier on the album I don't think anyone would care. ok computer isn't really the best sequenced album anyways.

Posted Image

#639 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

i think the first 3 songs and the last 3 songs are brilliantly sequenced. the middle gets a little wonky. apparently they had some serious fights about the track listing.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#640 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

finally gave that Broken Bells album a listen. surprisingly good, for a Mercer side project.

best side project album since Isaac Brock's phenomenal Ugly Casanova, I'd say. But maybe that's not saying much, since side projects generally suck.

wonder how that atoms for peace will turn out. not diggin the single at all.

Edited by GLASSJAW, 29 September 2012 - 11:14 AM.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#641 birdgunner

birdgunner

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Watching TV the other night I came across this band playing in a "sound den" or "sound basement" sessions, the singer had greyish pepper hair and the song had alot of lalalalalala's in the chorus and at the end of the song.....please I need to know who they are. thanks in advance.
Never Underestimate the Predictability of Stupidity.

4th Air Defence Regiment, 128th Air Defence Battery, A Troop-Ubique

Canadian Veterans National Day of Protest/Rally 10th November 2012

Canadian Veterans Advocacy- Manitoba

#642 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

Watching TV the other night I came across this band playing in a "sound den" or "sound basement" sessions, the singer had greyish pepper hair and the song had alot of lalalalalala's in the chorus and at the end of the song.....please I need to know who they are. thanks in advance.

well that automatically makes me think The Flaming Lips.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#643 birdgunner

birdgunner

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

well that automatically makes me think The Flaming Lips.

thanks for the reply. Just watched a flamimg lips video...not them. The singer was older and had no beard. The sound of the two bands is somewhat similar. Wish I could provide more info. cheers
Never Underestimate the Predictability of Stupidity.

4th Air Defence Regiment, 128th Air Defence Battery, A Troop-Ubique

Canadian Veterans National Day of Protest/Rally 10th November 2012

Canadian Veterans Advocacy- Manitoba

#644 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

Oppa gang am style
Posted Image
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

#645 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,391 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

Lp

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#646 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

watch for this to take the airwaves by storm next month.

any Beliebers in here?

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#647 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

finally gave that Broken Bells album a listen. surprisingly good, for a Mercer side project.

best side project album since Isaac Brock's phenomenal Ugly Casanova, I'd say. But maybe that's not saying much, since side projects generally suck.

wonder how that atoms for peace will turn out. not diggin the single at all.

Yeah Broken Bells is pretty decent, they played the two singles from it at my work all the time though so I can't say I've listened to it in a long time. I need to check out Ugly Cassanova one of these days.

Default is alright, it reminds me a bit too much of the eraser though and I wasn't a huge fan of that.

There's a live bootleg of Atoms for Peace playing the entirety of the eraser that's amazing, Flea kills it. I'm basically hoping they sound like that.

Posted Image

#648 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

great song.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#649 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

^ i'd heard a lot about those guys but never checked them out. pretty damn good, that is some in-your-face singing.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#650 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

wasn't sure if it was a cover of a strokes song or a radiohead song at first haha

Posted Image

#651 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

wasn't sure if it was a cover of a strokes song or a radiohead song at first haha

haha i was going to comment on that. radiohead band name, strokes song name, turned out to be related to neither.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#652 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

crazy death grips hype right now. i really like the percussion and some of the beats, but it's just too angry and intense for me.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#653 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

death grips strikes me as the type of act that appeals to white dudes on the internet

it's really not music to 'ride' to, and it sure doesn't have lyrical depth (agree with Hume, way too angry for me. too violent and all that).

i dunno, maybe i'm just too old to 'get' it, but it just seems like that Tyler The Creator hype moved over to Death Grips, and lets be honest, that music is for teens

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#654 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

i dunno i guess its supposed to be our generations version of punk rock or something but yeah i tried listening to their previous album but it didn't really do too much for me.

Posted Image

#655 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,045 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

So what does everyone think about the new Mumford & Sons? A lot of people appear to be panning it.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#656 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

Another year, another Woods album.

These guys have something new each year. Nothing has topped "Songs of Shame" yet, but this new album is really good, if you're into the folk-rock-psychdelic thing.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#657 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

So what does everyone think about the new Mumford & Sons? A lot of people appear to be panning it.

If you're a big fan, you'll defs enjoy it. I like it, but there's not too much a difference from Babel to Sigh No More. I guess you can only sing about your "brothers" and your "sins" for so many albums?

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#658 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Also, new Muse? Yikes.

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#659 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

mumford and sons are to folk what nickleback are to rock.

i've been listening to that Washed Out album from last year so much lately, i'm not sure why.

Grizzly Bear and Lower Dens this weekend, i'm pretty excited.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#660 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

mumford and sons are to folk what nickleback are to rock.

i've been listening to that Washed Out album from last year so much lately, i'm not sure why.

Grizzly Bear and Lower Dens this weekend, i'm pretty excited.

Only through this thread did I decide to try that Grizzly Bear album. Solid stuff. Gun Shy is one of my fave tunes of the year.

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.