Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Music of 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
975 replies to this topic

#661 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

mumford and sons are to folk what nickleback are to rock.

That's the second time I've heard that analogy.

My copy of Babel came in the mail today and I've listened to about half of it. It definitely sounds very similar to their debut, but I still like it. I wonder what would have happened if they had experimented more and verged off course from Sigh No More but made changes that were disliked by the fans.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#662 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,086 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Anyone reading, or plan to read, Neil Young's just-released autobiography?

Also, Morrissey's autobiography comes out this december.

Gonna be a nice winter break for me. Two of my favourite musicians!

212e8lw.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#663 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Food and Liquor 2 by Lupe Fiasco= Unbelievable.

#664 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

i might read the neil young one if i get around to it. has anyone read shakey? i've been meaning to read that for forever

Posted Image

#665 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,086 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

i've been listening to that Washed Out album from last year so much lately, i'm not sure why.

Grizzly Bear and Lower Dens this weekend, i'm pretty excited.

really wanted to go to that grizzly bear show. lucky guy.

and i've been listening to washed out a lot lately too. i love his work, really itching for a new EP or something. he doesn't have enough songs.

212e8lw.jpg

#666 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,086 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Any of you guys check out that Divine Fits album? It's basically the singer of Spoon and BC's own Dan Boeckner (Wolf Parade, Handsome Furs) doing a 'super group' thing. Usually super groups suck.

It's actually surprisingly good, in that very 'indie rock' sort of way. But at the same time, there aren't really any surprises, if you know what I mean. How you expect it to sound is exactly how it'll sound. but it's a very solid album

Edited by GLASSJAW, 05 October 2012 - 04:42 PM.

212e8lw.jpg

#667 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,893 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

New Jason Aldean album coming out on October 15th.

I have high expectations for it after how great his last 2, "Wide Open" and "My Kinda Party", were.

Title: "Night Train"

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#668 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

Lower Dens were ok. they sounded pretty good, but they had like no stage presence and they didn't have much energy, i prefer them on record.

Grizzly Bear were fantastic though, one of the most impressive bands i've ever seen live. they made no mistakes, sang flawlessly and they all played multiple instruments super well. the drummer is just ridiculous, makes me feel bad about myself. the crowd was pretty good too, lots of singing along and stuff, that was my first time at the Commodore, that place is great.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#669 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

aand i guess i have to download this new tame impala
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#670 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,086 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

few pages back I said Lonerism will be THE album to challenge Grizzly Bear for me. Still stand by that. Lonerism grows on me more with each listen, and there's a series of 3 songs in the middle that are absolutely ridiculous

(music to walk home by / why won't they talk to me / feels like we only go backwards)

kevin parker is an absolute master. wrote the music, played the instruments, produced the album. major talent.

212e8lw.jpg

#671 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,086 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

You'd be hard-pressed to find hooks as catchy as the verses during the run that spans "Music to Walk Home By" through "Elephant", and while none initially stands out as the kind of hit that might push Tame Impala to bigger festival stages, the cumulative effect means Lonerism might.

pitchfork got it right this time

212e8lw.jpg

#672 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

oh shieeet, Elephant is the jam of a lifetime.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#673 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,748 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

Huge fan of the Bloc Party and Muse new albums.
Posted Image

#674 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

just downloading the new Ty Segall and Mellowhype, 2012 has been super bottom heavy i guess, exciting times.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#675 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

Muses new album isn't bad but it isn't like their old stuff.
This city deserves a championship. This is the best era in Canucks history, keep bleeding blue n green always!
Win it for Ripper, Luc and Demo.

#676 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,086 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

new Yo La Tengo and Toro y Moi already announced for early 2013.

awesome.

212e8lw.jpg

#677 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

toro y moi has slowly grown into one of my favourite songwriters

Posted Image

#678 jbrizzy

jbrizzy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

I was never a huge fan of the band, but I'm really enjoying Billy Talent's new album, 'Dead Silence'.

It's actually a pretty good listen. Tight musicianship, and surprisingly profound lyrics.

+1

III was a good album but slightly disappointing coming after II.. I was afraid if the same thing happening this time but the more I listen to Dead Silence the more I like it, really great music on there.

#679 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,086 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

that Philip Glass / Beck song is really awesome

212e8lw.jpg

#680 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

I don't usually like electro pop but this sticks in my head since I watched the film. If you haven't watched the film, give it a try. Its like a David Lynch take on Japanese Anime.

Edited by Bodee, 10 October 2012 - 03:27 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#681 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

finally got around to listening to the new tame impala, its good, but i think i might have let myself get a little overhyped for it. i might just not be in mood for it at the moment.

my favourite song would have to 'why don't they talk to me?' which is funny because my favourite on innerspeaker is 'why won't you make up your mind?'

Edited by Humble Rodent, 10 October 2012 - 07:44 PM.

Posted Image

#682 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

The best way to describe the year for me has been that a lot of bands I love have released albums this year, and none of them were their best work. Overall, that's very disappointing. Xiu Xiu, The Walkmen, Stars, Twin Shadow, Swans, The Mynabirds, Sigur Ros & The Shins (those weren't as surprising), Regina Spektor, of Montreal, Marissa Nadler, Grizzly Bear, Matthew Dear, M. Ward, Jens Lekman, Fiona Apple, Flaming Lips, Dirty Projectors (huge letdown on this one), Animal Collective, Andrew Bird, Beach House (are terrible, always)... the list kind of keeps going. It's not that it was a bad year, but it wasn't a good one. But Kishi Bashi is an awesome new find, and the new Shearwater was ok. Probably better than other Shearwater, but they're not really that great.

#683 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

Any of you guys check out that Divine Fits album? It's basically the singer of Spoon and BC's own Dan Boeckner (Wolf Parade, Handsome Furs) doing a 'super group' thing. Usually super groups suck.

It's actually surprisingly good, in that very 'indie rock' sort of way. But at the same time, there aren't really any surprises, if you know what I mean. How you expect it to sound is exactly how it'll sound. but it's a very solid album

Divine Fits is awesome. Dan Boeckner is one of my fave vocalists out there. Such an 80's/new wave feel to it.

FearandLoathingSig.jpg

Total control now. Tooling along the main drag on a Saturday night in Vegas. Two good old boys in a fire-apple red convertible. Stoned. Ripped. Twisted. Good people. 

#684 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,086 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

when--or if--i escape the burden of mourning, i'll be totally psyched to check out that Bat for Lashes album that just leaked

212e8lw.jpg

#685 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

when--or if--i escape the burden of mourning, i'll be totally psyched to check out that Bat for Lashes album that just leaked

r u sad about being banished to ur thread by sharpyshootr?
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#686 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,086 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

i feel like this thread is the island of the misfit toys. we don't even serve a real purpose, i guess!

Divine Fits is awesome. Dan Boeckner is one of my fave vocalists out there. Such an 80's/new wave feel to it.

did you enjoy the shins? that was you who went, correct?

212e8lw.jpg

#687 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

haha what thread is was that in, i can never tell which threads are actually interesting around and which are redundant political threads

Posted Image

#688 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

I haven't been able to listen to a lot of full albums this year, but out of the ones I have Lonerism tops them all. There's so many really cool shifts and melodies. Plus the writing is really relatable to me at least.

Can some of you guys maybe toss me a couple titles to check out? I've been really out of the loop for finding new music lately and I wanna get back into it

Edited by Ashbury17, 12 October 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#689 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

I haven't been able to listen to a lot of full albums this year, but out of the ones I have Lonerism tops them all. There's so many really cool shifts and melodies. Plus the writing is really relatable to me at least.

Can some of you guys maybe toss me a couple titles to check out? I've been really out of the loop for finding new music lately and I wanna get back into it

Grizzly Bear is great. The new Ariel Pink album is good as well, it reminds me of Lonerism in certain ways so you would probably like those two.

Posted Image

#690 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

few pages back I said Lonerism will be THE album to challenge Grizzly Bear for me. Still stand by that. Lonerism grows on me more with each listen, and there's a series of 3 songs in the middle that are absolutely ridiculous

(music to walk home by / why won't they talk to me / feels like we only go backwards)

kevin parker is an absolute master. wrote the music, played the instruments, produced the album. major talent.

werrrrd

those 3 songs in a row are brilliant

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.