975 replies to this topic

#751 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

i think he meant me telling him to check out "Melted." i actually haven't been able to find Twins anywhere might (gasp) BUY it.

melted is full of gems like this-

dem drum fills
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#752 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Ty Segall Band literally sounds like Led Zeppelin meets Sonic Youth meets The Germs, all on acid.

While I dig that solo stuff, the band material is so much more full, and there are SOOO many influences being pulled in and displayed. DEAD influences, too! Seriously, when was the last time you heard a good punk album? That late 90s-early 00s "pop punk" explosion literally killed the entire genre. When was the last good garage rock album that wasn't just more of the same White Stripes type of stuff? Blues rock became boring after The Black Keys starting scoring car commercials.

This stuff is so old school, yet so fresh sounding at the same time.

marge.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#753 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Well, I've got a copy in my catalogue, if anyone's down to do some Soulseek swapping.

#754 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

is soulseek still around?

marge.jpg

#755 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

I can only assume that question is rhetorical? Why would I invite you to use an obsolete program?

It's not only still around, but you find everything on it. I'm rarely, rarely blanked when I look for something, and when I am, it's usually so obscure (specific bootlegged shows, so forth) that it's not surprising.

#756 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Ty Segall Band literally sounds like Led Zeppelin meets Sonic Youth meets The Germs, all on acid.

While I dig that solo stuff, the band material is so much more full, and there are SOOO many influences being pulled in and displayed. DEAD influences, too! Seriously, when was the last time you heard a good punk album? That late 90s-early 00s "pop punk" explosion literally killed the entire genre. When was the last good garage rock album that wasn't just more of the same White Stripes type of stuff? Blues rock became boring after The Black Keys starting scoring car commercials.

Have you checked out Gary Clark Jr., GLASSJAW?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFjMeOnqAPI

Edited by Hugemanskost, 04 November 2012 - 05:42 PM.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#757 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

how about the Black Lips, have you listened to them? i think Ty lifted his fair amount of his sound from them, at least vocally, they're terrific and garagy.

also chad vangaalen is the man, such interesting garage rock music.

what kind of a person wouldn't dig that.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#758 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

i'm raping this thread, but also mikal cronin. he's friends/in bands with Ty and makes great catchy stuff. i always have this song in my head. it's off his first solo album which came out last year.

REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#759 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

I've never really listened to much Black Lips, but the singer has a side project called "Ghetto Cross" with Bradford Cox, and their debut is supposed to be out this fall. Always felt like I should give them a try.

Vangaalen is legit.

marge.jpg

#760 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

VanGaalen is very Kurt Vile to me. When he's good, he's amazing, but when he's bad it's intolerable.

I don't want to just be that guy, but the Kendrick Lamar album is actually pretty solid.

Not 2012, but, are you aware Jon Gomm exists? If not, go do

#761 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,153 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

I've always thought Andrew Bird was one of those guys who makes music for young girls. Like Mumford and Sons, but with more credibility or something. I dunno. Maybe I should actually check out his music?

Yeah, you have him pegged completely wrong. Like...different stratosphere wrong.

I really only discovered him a couple of years ago, and he's quickly becoming one of my favourite artists. (I love it when you come across an artist with a large and varied back-catalogue you've never experienced...and you can just explore.) His early stuff is heavily jazz-influenced. He released 3 live albums that no teeny-bopper girl in the world would stand 30 seconds of. Although his newer material is more pop-like, his arrangements, instrumentation, virtuoso violin work, and lyrics put him firmly in the more "intellectual music" category.

Probably my favourite Andrew Bird song is Imitosis. The lyrics alone show it is on a different plain from the average crooner:

He's keeping busier as bitter storms
His imaginations and his palindromes
It was anything but hear the voice
...anything but hear the voice
It was anything but hear the voice
That says that we're all basically alone

Poor Professor Pension had only good intentions
When he put his Bunsen burners all away
And turned into a playground a Petri dish
Of single cells would swing their fists at anything
That looks like easy prey in this
Nature show that rages every day

It was bound, a part his intuition say
We were all basically alone
And despite what all his studies had shown
What was mistaken for closeness, was just a case of mitosis
Weighed deception or mercy while others train for the show
And tell me doctor can you pull my file
'Cause he just wants to know the reason, the reason why

Why do they congregate in groups of four
Scatter like a billion spores
And let the wind just carry them away?
How can cutes be so mean
Our famous doctor tried to glean
As he went home at the end of the day
In this Nature show that rages every day
It was bound apart his intuition, say

We were all basically all alone
Despite what all his studies had shown
What was mistaken for closeness, was just a case of mitosis
She fatal doses, malcontent to osmosis
Weighed deception or mercy while others are paying for the shot
Well, tell me doctor can you pull my file, reason why

Other faves: Orpheo Looks Back, Fiery Crash, A Nervous Tic Motion of The Head To The Left. Like I said earlier, Orpheo Looks Back is probably the best song I've heard all year.
Posted Image

#762 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Andrew Bird is getting progressively less adventurous and sliding more into a niche older dude folk mentality. It's not that anything he did on Noble Beast, Break It Yourself or Hands of Glory is bad or anything, but his stuff with Bowl of Fire and his first few albums under just Andrew Bird blow anything he's done in the past few years out of the water.

#763 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,153 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Andrew Bird is getting progressively less adventurous and sliding more into a niche older dude folk mentality. It's not that anything he did on Noble Beast, Break It Yourself or Hands of Glory is bad or anything, but his stuff with Bowl of Fire and his first few albums under just Andrew Bird blow anything he's done in the past few years out of the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9wGqYa7Q3A

I can agree with this. Like most artists, his most adventurous work came out earlier into his career. Armchair Apocrypha is my favourite album of his.

Still, the new stuff is still better than 98% of what else is out there. My favourite artist, Tom Waits, is kind of in the same boat. Bad as Me was pretty weak compared to Bone Machine, Mule Variations, Rain Dogs, etc...but it was still one of the best albums of last year. (The one difference with Tom is his most adventurous stuff didn't start until well into his career. That is rare.)
Posted Image

#764 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

The Civil Wars might call it quits...

The Civil Wars Cancel Tour Using Divorce Language

by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NASHVILLE, Tenn. November 6, 2012, 07:29 pm ET
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Grammy-winning duo The Civil Wars have canceled their upcoming tour dates, citing irreconcilable differences.
The folk-pop duo Joy Williams and John Paul White released a statement Tuesday announcing that because of "internal discord and irreconcilable differences of ambition" they were unable to "continue as a touring entity at this time."
Although they used the language of divorce, the duo added, "Our sincere hope is to have new music for you in 2013."
Williams and White are both married, but to other people. Williams had a baby this summer with husband Nate Yetton, the duo's manager.
Earlier this year the pair canceled part of their European tour.
The duo found unexpected success with their 2011 debut album, "Barton Hollow." With backgrounds in gospel and rock, they met when they were both asked to contribute to a country project and found chemistry.
Back then, the pair framed their partnership in terms of courting. White told The Associated Press that after two songwriting sessions, "I finally got up the nerve to ask her out, as it were."
"In a musical way," Williams said.

http://www.npr.org/t...oryId=164461198

Edited by blister soul, 06 November 2012 - 09:51 PM.

“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#765 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

http://pitchfork.com...-out-this-year/

Weird.

New My Bloody Valentine album will be out before 2012 is through, and a new EP will be released next year.

20 years in the making... It's like the indie version of Dr. Dre.

marge.jpg

#766 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

weren't their rumours of a new avalanches album out recently too? never been the hugest mbv fan but it should be good if it ever actually comes out

Posted Image

#767 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

weren't their rumours of a new avalanches album out recently too? never been the hugest mbv fan but it should be good if it ever actually comes out

There have been 'serious' rumors of a new Avalanches album, in the 'it will definitely be out this year' way since around 2008. I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

#768 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Clint Mansell is amazing in general, but the Requiem-Fountain-Moon trio are basically the gold standard for Soundtrack work. The Moon leitmotif hits me right in the feels every time.

#769 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

I enjoy a very minimal score. I've always been a fan of Philip Glass' work (I nearly cried 10 times during his performance in Victoria). The Glass score for Dracula doesn't go great with the movie (naturally it was added to a re-release of the originally score-less film), but as a stand alone piece of music, Dracula is absolutely amazing.

I also enjoy Michael Nyman's work, and some of Yann Tiersen's work is great too, even though he directly borrows from Glass in many cases.

marge.jpg

#770 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:38 AM

I may have already asked you lot this, but what would you guys rank as the best, or among the best EP releases?

marge.jpg

#771 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,153 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

I may have already asked you lot this, but what would you guys rank as the best, or among the best EP releases?

This year?

I haven't actually listened to many. Frightened Rabbit released one I really wanted to hear, but couldn't find it when I looked, and hadn't got around to looking for it again.
Posted Image

#772 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

No, no! I meant ever. Not just this year.

marge.jpg

#773 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,153 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Well, I have no use for Alice in Chains anymore, but when Jar of Flies came out, it was the shiznit. Pearl Jam's Merkinball was short, but had two of their best songs ever. Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim were fantastic, but my experience with them are as a combined album.

This year Daniel Rossen's album would be my fave (so far). But I haven't got around to the Antlers or Frightened Rabbit yet. And I just got started on Dum Dum Girls' End of Daze, which is outstanding, and could easily take top spot. Actually, it may end up one of my top-10 albums of the year, EP-status be damned.

I can't think of one memorable EP from last year. But Dum Dum Girls released one (He Gets Me High), and after hearing this year's, I'll definitely be looking for that. The year before had that Dirty Projectors and Bjork album, which was cool, and The Tallest Man On Earth, which I never found a copy of.

I have to say my personal favourite EP's of all time are the My Iron Lung and Airbag/How's My Driving? EP's from Radiohead. Then, probably Young Liars by TV On The Radio.
Posted Image

#774 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
Animal Collective - Fall Be Kind
Animal Collective and Vashti Bunyan - Prospect Hummer
Black Flag - Nervous Breakdown
Burial - Kindred
Dead Kennedys - In God We Trust Inc.
Fugazi - s/t
Minor Threat - s/t
Modest Mouse - Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks
R.E.M. - Chronic Town
Radiohead - Airbag/How Am I Driving?
Radiohead - Com Lag
Shabazz Palaces - Of Light
Toro y Moi - Freaking Out

...that originally started out as a top ten i swear

Posted Image

#775 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

I don't have nearly enough drugs to make sense of the new Black Moth Super Rainbow album. Is it good? It is terrible? I have no idea. WTF guyz.

#776 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

my favourite might be "i might be wrong" by radiohead. them at their absolute live peak, that version of "like spinning plates" is absurdly good.

i really loved Undersea by the Antlers this year, as well as the Dirty Projectors EP. last year had the Submarine soundtrack by alex turner which was released as an EP, i loved that.

other all time favourites: Airbag/How am I driving, Fall be Kind, Zebra EP, Broken Dreams Club.

i've kinda hit a wall for new music this year, don't know what to check out next. any suggestions?

Edited by Hume, 08 November 2012 - 06:55 PM.

REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#777 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Probably too top 40 for you guys, but I just got the Alex Clare album "the lateness of the hour" and is incredible. Start to finish its great. Only $6.99 on iTunes. I haven't liked an entire album this much since Megalithic Symphony by Awolnation. I actually like this better. Awesome Jazz licks mixed with electronica and an incredibly soul full voice. My album of the year.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#778 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

my favourite might be "i might be wrong" by radiohead. them at their absolute live peak, that version of "like spinning plates" is absurdly good.

i really loved Undersea by the Antlers this year, as well as the Dirty Projectors EP. last year had the Submarine soundtrack by alex turner which was released as an EP, i loved that.

other all time favourites: Airbag/How am I driving, Fall be Kind, Zebra EP, Broken Dreams Club.

i've kinda hit a wall for new music this year, don't know what to check out next. any suggestions?

is i might be wrong considered an EP? i always thought it was just a proper album because its 40 minutes long. but yeah its pretty great, spinning plates and true love waits in particular.

2012 has been one of my favorite years in a while, despite some disappointing releases. what kind of stuff are you looking for.

Posted Image

#779 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

also i forget if i've ever asked this but does anyone on here have a rateyourmusic account?

Posted Image

#780 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,979 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Animal Collective and Modest Mouse have both released EPs that are actually better than most of their albums, I think. Weird.

I'd say Animal Collective's "Prospect Hummer" is the best thing that band released, other than Feels.

Modest Mouse's last EP (No One's First...) was better than their last full length, I thought. In fact Autumn Beds and Whale Song are probably my two favourite MM songs in the Float On-era, I think. "Night on the Sun" is a great EP too.

Like D-Money doesn't have any use for Alice in Chains, I certainly have no use for Nine Inch Nails, but I don't think there's any denying that their EP "Broken" is just as good as anything that band released. Maybe only second to Downward Spiral, imo.

Deerhunter's Flourescent Grey might be my favourite work by that band, which says a lot because I love (love LOVE) almost everything they do.

LSD and the Search for God released a 5 song EP which is my favourite shoegaze music not created by MBV. But that band totally disappeared after its release.

Totally agree with people mentioning The Antlers too. Undersea is probably my favourite work of theirs.

And great call on Broken Dreams Club from Girls. Aaaaabsolutely amazing stuff.

And I've heard lots of good stuff about Dum Dum Girls, but never bothered. I'll get on that.

marge.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.