975 replies to this topic

#841 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

i couldn't make it through that new yeasayer album, gave up after a few songs. really didn't like it

maybe i should give it another shot

marge.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#842 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

No, yeasayer is trash, you had it right the first time.

#843 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

their first album is solid gold

marge.jpg

#844 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

coleman you seem to spend way more time talking about what you hate than what you like.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#845 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

That's a trend I've noticed too, but I submit that it's because very little is impressing me right now.

their first album is solid gold

And yeah, this is correct.

Edited by coleman26, 19 November 2012 - 07:00 PM.

#846 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

i finally got Twins the other day, damn, Ty Segall nails everything i could want to hear in messy garage music.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#847 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

I've listened to that Dum Dum Girls EP a dozen times already. It's fantastic.

finally gave it a listen, and you're right, it's really good.

need to listen to it a few more times, but i enjoyed it a lot the first time. the second listen really 'clicked' for me, though

marge.jpg

#848 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,156 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

finally gave it a listen, and you're right, it's really good.

need to listen to it a few more times, but i enjoyed it a lot the first time. the second listen really 'clicked' for me, though

One thing I love is how perfect it is as a 5-song EP. Even thematically, the songs fit like a glove.

Speaking of clicking...can't get enough of Lonerism lately. Sorry Ty, but Elephant is the best hard-rock song I've heard all year.
Posted Image

#849 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,156 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

As for Yeasayer - yes, the new album is underwhelming at best. The first four tracks are decent, but the rest is trash indeed.

Speaking of trash, had a good laugh at this line from a Pitchfork review:

"Still, the return of Soundgarden is something to get excited about, if only because it momentarily delays the release of another Cornell solo album."
Posted Image

#850 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

"Still, the return of Soundgarden is something to get excited about, if only because it momentarily delays the release of another Cornell solo album."

:lol:

man, how many times do they gotta rerelease VU + nico? i mean its a great album and all but...

Posted Image

#851 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

Beck confirmed he's working on a new album, with songs he started working on in 2005 (Guero era).

I listen to Modern Guilt regularly. A couple of dud songs towards the end, but that album is absolutely fantastic. Guero is good too. Hoping it's a nice mix between the two, and hoping it comes out soon.

marge.jpg

#852 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:37 AM

am I the only one who loves Tame Impala but doesn't really like that Elephant song? Probably my second or third least favourite track on the album. Which isn't saying much, because I love the album as a whole, but something about that song kinda bothers me.

Edited by GLASSJAW, 21 November 2012 - 01:37 AM.

marge.jpg

#853 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

it's funny, that song reminds me of "month of may" on The Suburbs.

it's like hey, here's a band i really like doing a straight-forward, 3 chord rock n roll song. kinda jumps out at you on the album. then you get into the other stuff and you realize that song has no depth and it becomes one of your least favourites.

that's what happened to me at least, in both cases.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#854 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,156 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Elephant reminds me of I Want You (She's So Heavy) on Abbey Road. Not necessarily my favourite song on the album, and seemingly out of place, but a nice change of pace when you're listening to the album as a whole.

But I gotta say, I prefer Elephant. I love the main riff, and the keyboard solo is a beaut too. Best nod to Deep Purple I've heard in years.
Posted Image

#855 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,156 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Beck confirmed he's working on a new album, with songs he started working on in 2005 (Guero era).

I listen to Modern Guilt regularly. A couple of dud songs towards the end, but that album is absolutely fantastic. Guero is good too. Hoping it's a nice mix between the two, and hoping it comes out soon.

Guero is my favourite Beck album, and Modern Guilt definitely grew on me. Looking forward to this.

Anybody read up on the feud between Radiohead, Matthew Friedberger (of Feiry Furnaces), and Beck a few years back? Pretty hilarious...

http://pitchfork.com...t-harry-partch/

Edited by D-Money, 21 November 2012 - 10:13 AM.

Posted Image

#856 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,156 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Two releases I (strangely) have not heard yet: Moonface and Divine Fits. Anyone catch them?

Loved Wolf Parade, and was a huge fan of the last Sunset Rubdown and Handsome Furs albums (particularly the latter). Also a fan of Spoon (Britt Daniel in Divine Fits). Maybe I'm just jaded from the constant reformations???
Posted Image

#857 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

I like elephant because its basically a rock song but it never goes for the stupid big breakdown that all rock songs have to do nowadays. Also yeah the keyboard solo is awesome.

about time Beck put out another album its only been 5 years

Posted Image

#858 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

am I the only one who loves Tame Impala but doesn't really like that Elephant song? Probably my second or third least favourite track on the album. Which isn't saying much, because I love the album as a whole, but something about that song kinda bothers me.

haha I feel exactly the same

#859 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

i forget if i've asked if anyone's checked out Ultraista? its Nigel Godrich who produces radiohead. It basically sounds like electronic radiohead but with a female vocalist and sexier.

Posted Image

#860 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Two releases I (strangely) have not heard yet: Moonface and Divine Fits. Anyone catch them?

Loved Wolf Parade, and was a huge fan of the last Sunset Rubdown and Handsome Furs albums (particularly the latter). Also a fan of Spoon (Britt Daniel in Divine Fits). Maybe I'm just jaded from the constant reformations???

I gave Divine Fits a few listens. It's very much what you're imagining it to sound like. The first half of the album is very strong, but the second half drags. Worth a listen, but it's very much just "good" and not great, imo.

marge.jpg

#861 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

:lol:

man, how many times do they gotta rerelease VU + nico? i mean its a great album and all but...

This has to be at least the 10th time, but this one seems super complete. Isn't it like 7 CDs or something? Kinda want to check it out. I listened to TVU & Nico the other day twice through. Super amazing.

marge.jpg

#862 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

This has to be at least the 10th time, but this one seems super complete. Isn't it like 7 CDs or something? Kinda want to check it out. I listened to TVU & Nico the other day twice through. Super amazing.

yeah i briefly skimmed through the pitchfork review, it has it in stereo, mono, nico's first solo album chelsea girls, and then several alternate versions of each song or something like that. i wouldn't mind hearing a couple alternate versions, 7 discs work worth might be a little excessive though haha. yeah obviously a classic though.

chelsea girls is actually a really great album too, i always just assumed she was just some pretty face stuck in the group for sex appeal, but all her solo work is great.

Posted Image

#863 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

I'm giving it a download now. Really excited to give it a listen.

The release of "peel slowly and see" had the "closet mix" version of the self titled album, and it's absolutely remarkable. better than the original/official mix, even.

marge.jpg

#864 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

Maybe I don't have all of peel slowly and see then, I just have the demos and stuff. Next time I go through a huge VU phase I'll have to check it out.

EDIT: Oh, the self-titled album, yeah I'll definitely have to check out that then, I'm not the hugest fan of the way that album sounds.

Edited by Humble Rodent, 21 November 2012 - 09:49 PM.

Posted Image

#865 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Man, I totally overlooked Beach House's new album. I downloaded the low quality leak and basically forgot about it, but I re-downloaded it today, and I might just like it better than Teen Dream. Crazy melodic.

Posted Image

#866 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

sometimes i get nostalgic when i think about how cool 2010 was for music. kinda my first year checking out as many new releases as i could and there was: contra, the suburbs, halcyon digest, teen dream, cosmogramma, this is happening, mbdtf, high violet, age of adz, melted. damn, what a year for big ticket indie bands.

ty segall and the pink mountaintops are playing smallish shows in vancouver next month, pumped for those.

Edited by Hume, 21 November 2012 - 10:16 PM.

REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#867 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

i saw patrick watson last week. i'd never listened to him, but i went because my brother's band was opening. it was sold out, i didn't know the dude was so popular. he didn't blow me away or anything, but he's really talented and some of the songs were really pleasant.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#868 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

2009 was even better, imo.

Girls - Album
Atlas Sound - Logos
Grizzly Bear - Veckitandfasdfmaeest
Pains of Being Pure at Heart - S/T
Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Its Blitz (even though I hate them)
St Vincent - Actor
Fever Ray - S/T
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Woods - Songs of Shame
Bat for Lashes - Two Suns
The xx - s/t
Animal Collective - Merriweather
Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
Bill Callahan - Sometimes I wish I were an Eagle
The Antlers - Hospice
jj - jj no 2
Tune-Yards - Bird Brains

marge.jpg

#869 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

actually i dunno, i love the suburbs and teen dream is tough to beat. maybe 2010 was better

marge.jpg

#870 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,156 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Yeah, my vote goes to 2010. That year was the shiznit.

Besides those mentioned, we also had great albums from LCD Soundsystem, The Walkmen, Black Keys, Frightened Rabbit, Sleigh Bells, Tallest Man On Earth, The Fall, Janelle Monae, Grinderman, Ariel Pink, Dum Dum Girls, Swans, Joanna Newsom, Spoon, Wolf Parade, Surfer Blood, Sharon Jones, Broken Social Scene, Hot Chip, Shearwater, Radio Dept., Yeasayer, Best Coast, Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse, Future Islands, Magnetic Fields...and to top it all off, some vintage-era Springsteen!!!

If anything, there was too much great music. I'm still discovering/breaking in music from that year. It's the year that keeps on giving!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.