975 replies to this topic

#871 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

What's a good starting point for Spoon, D-Money? I've tried a few albums before, but nothing ever really stood out. Should give 'em another go.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#872 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

What's a good starting point for Spoon, D-Money? I've tried a few albums before, but nothing ever really stood out. Should give 'em another go.

Definitely Kill The Moonlight. IMO their best work, and one of my favourite rock albums ever.

After that, I'd say Gimme Fiction. Although, a good chunk of Spoon fans will praise Girls Can Tell as their peak. All 3 have their strong points.

Edited by D-Money, 22 November 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Posted Image

#873 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

I've only heard Kill the Moonlight and Gimme Fiction, there both pretty great, I'd give the slight edge to Kill the Moonlight though.

Posted Image

#874 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

What makes Kill The Moonlight so fantastic is how stripped bare it is.

This is my favourite song from Gimme Fiction:

Posted Image

#875 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

i've got a long weekend so i can give both a listen tonight

just played through ty segall's twins again -- definitely a great start, but still think it fades big time towards the end.

and couldn't listen to my velvet underground mega download because it's in FLAC. any of you guys know a good flac-to-mp3 converter that isn't loaded with spy/malware?

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#876 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

yeah i've never been able to find one of those either, i've never looked that hard though.

Posted Image

#877 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

the two sides of monsieur valentine is such a great song, i love the strings in it

Posted Image

#878 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

Their is such immense hope for this generation:

These guys can "care-take" music, if need be ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#879 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

I'm sorry I usually try not to do this but that post is hilarious in about 3 different ways

Posted Image

#880 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

black flag - the first four years: 6.5/10
mountain goats - the sunset tree: 9/10
buzzcocks - singles going steady: 9/10
stereolab - transient random-noise bursts with announcements: 7/10
interpol - turn on the bright lights: 8.5/10
spoon - kill the moonlight - ?/10

I feel like I totally missed something with the Spoon album, so I'll have to give it another listen.

can't believe how amazing the first half of interpol's album is, then it totally trails off.

prefer Rollins era Black Flag, but still a decent listen

Mountain Goats album is absolutely amazing, even with the sometimes silly, sometimes amazing lyrics. "hast thou considered the tetrapod" is so good. one of the best songs i've ever heard, in the same way that catcher in the rye is one of the best books i've ever read. perfect for that adolescent angst mood.

buzzcocks compilation has a few dull moments (to be expected with a collection that large), but the high points are so high that the lows are easily ignored

stereolab album wasnt as good as i remembered it, but still a pleasant background noise listen (with the repetition and all that, it's not really something that requires 'focus')

Edited by GLASSJAW, 24 November 2012 - 04:31 PM.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#881 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

singles going steady is so ace

Posted Image

#882 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

whoops. wasn't singles going steady i listened to, it was The Inventory. just another singles collection, but significantly larger

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#883 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#884 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

^ watched that video, it's incredible hey? i'm a total sucker for anything '67 beatles-y. funny that he plays a rickenbacker and the bassist plays a hofner, they aren't shying away from anything.

speaking of which, i was seriously toying with seeing sir paul yesterday, ended up not going, too expensive. i heard he played like 15 of his beatles songs, a lennon solo song, some harrison songs and loads of wings stuff. would have been pretty cool...closed with golden slumbers/carry that weight/the end, i probably would have cried haha
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#885 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

I'm sorry I usually try not to do this but that post is hilarious in about 3 different ways

ily

#886 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

it's the most wonderful time of the year

list time

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#887 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

speaking of which, i was seriously toying with seeing sir paul yesterday, ended up not going, too expensive. i heard he played like 15 of his beatles songs, a lennon solo song, some harrison songs and loads of wings stuff. would have been pretty cool...closed with golden slumbers/carry that weight/the end, i probably would have cried haha

i dunno, i'm kinda opposed to seeing retirement tours. mccartney's olympic performance was semi-depressing in my opinion, his feathered hair, makeup, and backing vocal track were just awkward. he doesn't seem to embrace his age, but tries to defy it, to varying success, depending on who you ask.

then again, i'd go see the rolling stones if they came around, just because i love keith richards so much. so maybe i'm a hypocrite.

and when i saw leonard cohen a couple years ago, he was very obviously an old old man, but he seemed to embrace it in a unique way. i enjoyed it. so i dunno. i regret not seeing springsteen though ;(

Edited by GLASSJAW, 29 November 2012 - 06:14 PM.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#888 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DANmDX28jEo

Sooooooooo Beatle-esque! What a sweet song. If one of the key players could play an ivory piano part, it would be awesome.

Nice post, GLASSJAW! Elephant is good, too.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#889 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

and when i saw leonard cohen a couple years ago, he was very obviously an old old man, but he seemed to embrace it in a unique way. i enjoyed it. so i dunno. i regret not seeing springsteen though ;(

Cohen has been embracing the old-man-style for 42 years now...

...Don't get me wrong - love his music - but his live shows have never been action-packed.
Posted Image

#890 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

not 2012

tell me this isn't amazing

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#891 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

man that pitchfork list is making me choose my top five albums of the year, i can't narrow crap down that much.

Posted Image

#892 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

haha, i left half of that empty because i couldn't decide

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#893 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

i accidentally pressed enter twice so i couldn't fill in the last page haha. also i realized filling it out that i haven't seen a single music video released this year.

Posted Image

#894 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

I have started putting together a rough list of my favourites. However, I don't want to finish it until I have heard Divine Fits.

Three of my favourite albums of the last decade had Dan Boeckner (Wolf Parade, Handsome Furs) on them, and another two had Britt Daniel (Spoon). So it's a good guess that I'm going to enjoy an album with both of them.
Posted Image

#895 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

Best quote from the Music of 2012 thread:

"...that is some Person Pitch fa*gotry... "

Edited by D-Money, 03 December 2012 - 12:13 PM.

Posted Image

#896 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

which raises the interesting question: How many "good" songs does an album need to be considered "good" as a whole? How many great songs, to be considered great, etc.? Or is it not about individual songs, just a general feel / consistency, etc.

Hmm!

Was scanning this thread while sorting out my 'best of' list, and this post caught my eye. I think a lot of what constitutes a "good" album has to do with how good the weaker songs are - perhaps that is what you meant by "consistency".
IMO, two albums from this year that make this clear are Santigold's Master of My Make-Believe, and Chromatics' Kill For Love. Santigold's album has 5 great songs on it (The Riot's Gone, Disparate Youth, The Keepers, This Isn't Our Parade, and Never Enough). I'd say that Chromatics only has maybe 2 or 3 (Lady, The Page...A Matter of Time?). And as a one-off, other than maybe Lady, I'd rather listen to any one of Santigold's.

However, at the end of the day, in my personal opinion, I think Chromatics released a great album, and Santigold did not. Why? The former was consistent, and enjoyable as a whole. 15/16 of the tracks were at least decent (last one was a total throwaway), and it flowed together nicely. But that Santigold has some truly TERRIBLE tracks (Freak Like Me and Go! stand out). They totally ruin the experience of the album, and I simply HAVE to skip them, or turn the album off entirely.
Posted Image

#897 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

The best way to describe the year for me has been that a lot of bands I love have released albums this year, and none of them were their best work. Overall, that's very disappointing. Xiu Xiu, The Walkmen, Stars, Twin Shadow, Swans, The Mynabirds, Sigur Ros & The Shins (those weren't as surprising), Regina Spektor, of Montreal, Marissa Nadler, Grizzly Bear, Matthew Dear, M. Ward, Jens Lekman, Fiona Apple, Flaming Lips, Dirty Projectors (huge letdown on this one), Animal Collective, Andrew Bird, Beach House (are terrible, always)... the list kind of keeps going. It's not that it was a bad year, but it wasn't a good one. But Kishi Bashi is an awesome new find, and the new Shearwater was ok. Probably better than other Shearwater, but they're not really that great.

For the most part, I agree with you. I found that a lot of artists I really like released "good-to-decent" albums, but compared to what I expected/hoped, it was a let-down.

I like that Shearwater album (esp in comparison to most of what I heard this year), but it isn't nearly as deep or long-lasting as Rook. Andrew Bird similar - very good album, and will make my top 10, but is nowhere near his earlier stuff. It took me a while to warm up to that Twin Shadow album, and I really like it now...but again, Forget is still better. Nothing on Walkmen's Heaven compares to the awesomeness of Lisbon. And Shins was a big letdown, especially with how fantastic Simple Song was.

Shields is one of my absolute favourite albums of the year. But I'm not sure if that is simply due to lack of competition. In retrospect, I'm not sure if it's as good as Veckatimist.

Flaming Lips and Of Montreal...well, they completely went off the rails a while ago.

Tame Impala totally saved the year for me. Absolutely LOVE Lonerism - every song. Usually I have to really think of what was my absolute favourite album of the year, but this year it wasn't even close.
Posted Image

#898 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

And here I thought 2012 would give us a new Queens of the Stone Age album. Silly me. I mean, it's only been FIVE years!

You could tell that the well was going dry on the last one. The most interesting songs were from Desert Sessions (which is a fantastic compilation, if anyone hasn't heard it).
Posted Image

#899 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

they have a new album coming out in the early new year. grohl's on drums, and that dude who was kicked out of the band for being a meth junkie/woman beater is also back.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#900 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Really liked this album. Sometimes they get a bit too close to rap for my taste though.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.