The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

i'm not a fan of him as a person, dude annoys me big time

anyway, i watched some stream earlier of Bon Iver's big concert at Radio City Music Hall, and he said it was their last performance in America 'for the foreseeable future.' And that reminded me that I read an interview with him where he said he's taking "a break" for a while.

I wonder what he's going to do? Just record under a different name, in a different style... or just not do music? Will be interesting to see.

Saw The Shins and Washed Out last night. Fingered the girl beside me, had a small drink n chat with Washed Out's sister, AND both acts had near perfect set lists.

I had a lot of drinks before, but was 'thirsty' again when getting there. Beer was $7(!?!?!?!)

Successful night over all.

Wasn't a big fan of Port of Morror, but some of the songs translated extremely well live. The title track (Port of Morrow) leads into New Slang, and both sounded phenomenal. Definitely the highlight of the concert for me. "The Rifle's Spiral" sounded great too.

Muse's new album is available for online streaming and it's leaked now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2012/sep/24/muse-2nd-law-album-stream?intcmp=ILCMUSTXT9383

One of my favourites off the new album. Sounds like it was made for Skyfall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4_TkO7DoEA

Really liking this album.. MUCH better than The Resistance.

i havent listened to Document in a long, long time, but i've always really loved REM. it's so weird how under appreciated they are. what a great band. regret not seeing them with modest mouse a few years back. what an idiot i am.

was it you who was a fan of the shins record this year? i was so down on it for so long, but ive been listening to them SO much lately, it's like i've really discovered the band beyond their few obvious hits.

always enjoyed 'oh inverted world', but now i'd rank it probably in my all time top 10 list, and Port of Morrow is now one of top albums of the year. even though i still genuinely despise two of the songs (it's only life, and the fool one)

nah, i actually haven't even listened to the whole thing yet, i still have it sitting on my hard drive somewhere though. i haven't been in the mood to listen to the shins for a long time now, but i'll have to check out port of morrow. i find on most of their albums there are about 5-8 songs i really enjoy and then a couple filler tracks.

which raises the interesting question: How many "good" songs does an album need to be considered "good" as a whole? How many great songs, to be considered great, etc.? Or is it not about individual songs, just a general feel / consistency, etc.

Hmm!

to me, over half the songs have to be really great and the other stuff has to at least be fitting or enjoyable for me to consider an album great.

some of my favourite albums have a song or two that i hate, like Ok Computer and Electioneering, or Strawberry Jam and #1, Abbey Road and Here Comes the Sun and like a thousand more.

finally gave that Broken Bells album a listen. surprisingly good, for a Mercer side project.

best side project album since Isaac Brock's phenomenal Ugly Casanova, I'd say. But maybe that's not saying much, since side projects generally suck.

wonder how that atoms for peace will turn out. not diggin the single at all.

Watching TV the other night I came across this band playing in a "sound den" or "sound basement" sessions, the singer had greyish pepper hair and the song had alot of lalalalalala's in the chorus and at the end of the song.....please I need to know who they are. thanks in advance.

Archived