The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

Lana Del Rey: Born to Die

Not brilliant enough to warrant the kind of hype it did. There are some songs like Carmen, the singles that show her future potential but it doesnt carry through consistently.

There is however something viscerally connective about songs like Video Games that cannot be denied and what made me a fan of her first album.

She is dubbed the "gangster Nancy Sinatra" but Sinatra's vocals were strong and she embraced her role as a heartbreaker in her music. Beautifully haunting as Lanas voice is sometimes I would like to see her embrace stronger more refined lyrics in her future projects.

7/10

Lana Del Rey: Born to Die

Not brilliant enough to warrant the kind of hype it did. There are some songs like Carmen, the singles that show her future potential but it doesnt carry through consistently.

There is however something viscerally connective about songs like Video Games that cannot be denied and what made me a fan of her first album.

She is dubbed the "gangster Nancy Sinatra" but Sinatra's vocals were strong and she embraced her role as a heartbreaker in her music. Beautifully haunting as Lanas voice is sometimes I would like to see her embrace stronger more refined lyrics in her future projects.

7/10

i really love the song Born to Die. Video games is pretty awesome too. heck, i like that whole 4 song ep a lot, as i think i said earlier.

i listened to the whole album a couple times and a lot of it is pretty meh. too many cliches, too much talking about love, not enough focus on good songs.

for Neil Young fans, if you head to http://www.neilyoung.com/ you can hear a 20 minute total jam song that Neil record with his old band Crazy Horse. After the 20 minute mark (ish) it turns into Cortez the Killer, one of the best Neil Young (with Crazy Horse) songs.

Absolutely amazing little song there.

I seriously hope this leads to a reunion/tour, and it's not just the build up to another archival release or unreleased stuff.

Listened to the "Born To Die" single a few times - don't get what the fuss is about. The production was very well done, but the song itself is pretty lame.

Haven't listened to much 2012 stuff. The most recent release that is getting lots of play on my iPod is last year's Sound Kapital - the latest Handsome Furs album. It's outstanding!

There hasn't been many releases that have intrigued me yet. But this month there are new albums dropping for Shearwater, Islands, Field Music, Lambchop, Of Montreal, Plants and Animals, and Sleigh Bells.

Then in March it gets even better, with new Springsteen, Magnetic Fields, Andrew Bird, and Shins. Just found out Ane Brun also has a new album coming in April - LOVE her!

Sasquatch Lineup was announced, and it doesn't interest me half as much as a few recent years have.

Bon Iver

Beck

Jack White

Tenacious D

The Shins

The Roots

Beirut

Explosions in the Sky

Wild Flag

Childish Gambino

Tune Yards

Feist

Metric

Girl Talk

loads of other "small" bands, too.

Frankly, I think the lineup is bad. But I never was a fan of Tenacious D or big on The White Stripes. Bon Iver, Beck and The Shins are the only big draws for me, and even then I wouldn't make the trip for them.

edit: war on drugs, kurt vile, and the walkmen are all there. who i'd love to see... but still.

Sasquatch Lineup was announced, and it doesn't interest me half as much as a few recent years have.

Bon Iver

Beck

Jack White

Tenacious D

The Shins

The Roots

Beirut

Explosions in the Sky

Wild Flag

Childish Gambino

Tune Yards

Feist

Metric

Girl Talk

loads of other "small" bands, too.

Frankly, I think the lineup is bad. But I never was a fan of Tenacious D or big on The White Stripes. Bon Iver, Beck and The Shins are the only big draws for me, and even then I wouldn't make the trip for them.

edit: war on drugs, kurt vile, and the walkmen are all there. who i'd love to see... but still.

Also, for Sasquatch, I've seen Feist live, and she's outstanding.

Would have seen the Shins live, but my buddy's girlfriend was feeling sick, I was the ride, so we left the Commodore (Chutes Too Narrow, 1st tour). At least I got to discover Fiery Furnaces before leaving.

And The Roots are famous for killin it live.

Could be for the best that you never saw The Shins. From what I understand, James Mercer (singer), recently "fired" the entire band because of how incompetent they are when it comes to actually playing their instruments. For the most part, The Shins have been songs written by Mercer, and he'd just get his buddies to play the instruments. So for the new album he just got a collection of people who can actually play (including one of Modest Mouse's drummers!) to record and tour.

I think now would be the time to see them, if ever.

Anyway, giving The Walkmen another listen. Good god, this band is so amazing. I can't believe how good Lisbon is.

This may be the song of my adult life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AeQUvGeJWI

i've been listening to kurt vile a lot lately, loving "smoke ring for my halo" in a big way.

reminds me of chris owens in a lot of ways. weirdo dude with long hair that writes lush classic rock songs with really sincere lyrical stuff going on. vile has a way better voice though.

i've been listening to kurt vile a lot lately, loving "smoke ring for my halo" in a big way.

reminds me of chris owens in a lot of ways. weirdo dude with long hair that writes lush classic rock songs with really sincere lyrical stuff going on. vile has a way better voice though.

the new Sleigh Bells leaked, and i like it a lot!

i think if you liked Treats, you're basically guaranteed to like this one. if you didn't like Treats, there's still a chance you'll like this one. it's less in-your-face, more melodic, more structurally complex and more diverse.

still, i think a lot of the draw of Treats was that it was really unique; i hadn't really heard anything like it before. this album isn't too big of a departure from the style of Treats, so it definitely won't get as much buzz and recognition. some people might find it redundant or boring.

so far i'd give it like a 7/10

I loved Treats, but I found it didn't have a lot of staying power. It's hard to go back to it. So I'm not sure how this one will sit with me.

Lisbon is the shiznit. Angela Surf City gives me chills.

Although nothing has been announced, I'm hoping for a new Vampire Weekend later this year. Can't get enough of those guys!

Archived