Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D-Bo7

[Firing] Scott Arniel

Pretty predictable, he never should have taken the job, he didn't have a prayer.

Sucks fir a younger coach to get fired. I remember him being pretty good in our system.

Howson is the one who needs to be fired.

Someone said on twitter that it was like firing a jockey who was using a cow to run a horse race

As weird as it sounds i can see Howson gone in the off season and replaced with....

.... Pierre Maquire. no joke. I think he would do well in that organization and he himself is marketable to their fan base.

To be hoenst he did the best he could, the owner needs to fire that GM for crying out loud

Pretty much my sentiments, although Arniel clearly was not working out. Why they let Hitchcock, who was still under contract w/ CBJ, go to STL is mind-boggling. Oh, wait, it's Howsen ...

Tell me if this sounds like a good idea ...

You have a player who has scored 27 points in 48 games (25 points in 31 games in the previous season) and you decide, IN SEPTEMBER, to sign him to a 4-year contract extension at a $3.2M cap hit when you could have waited to see what he did over the course of a full season.

That alone, in my books, is enough to declare him worse than Garth Snow ... but there's more ...

He CONSTANTLY makes moves to adjust his position at the draft, yet never drafts anyone good when he does.

He continues Columbus's abysmal track record of developing prospects.

Just horrendous asset management (i.e. trades Jason Chimera to WSH for Chris Clark and Milan Jurcina. 3 months later, trades Milan Jurcina back to WSH for a conditional 6th which never traded hands because WSH didn't go far enough in the playoffs. Jason Chimera for Chris Clark is not a good trade at all, especially when you consider what they could have got for Chimera at the deadline).

Signs Klesla to a new 4-year deal, trades him in the first year for 2 pending UFAs at the deadline when they weren't going to make the playoffs. I mean ... seriously ... like ... what ... was ... he ... thinking ...

Signs injury-prone Wisniewski to a 6-year, $5.5M cap hit contract. This is a player who was on 3 different teams in the prior year, each time traded for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick and cleared the 30-point mark once in his career.

He's made 2 good moves in 5 years; trading for Umberger and trading for Vermette. Unfortunately, the number of bad moves far FAR outweighs these 2 moves.

Horrible decision to fire the guy. The CBJ ownership and management are laughable.

they've been trying to hold onto some core pieces (like nash) over the years, which made them good enough to get close to/into the playoffs, but also too good to get some good picks. they need to pull an edmonton and just tank it for 4-5 seasons and get some young high end talent.

Poor Scott, has to be the fall guy for the teams failure, i dont think there is a coach in the league that

could turn it around for this Jackets team. I thought Howson would have started the rebuild by now.

Columbus is probably going to fire Howson...and then hire Milbury lol.

I agree.

The guy hates player development and rushes people to the NHL (although this may not entirely be his fault; ownership may play a big part in that decision)

The team also got a bit unlucky too. Bad start to the season. They were really close in almost all their games; only a 1 or 2 goal difference. They are competitive but just falls a bit short.

Maybe Andy Murray could take over?

Columbus needs better defense as well as goaltending.

They also need to get some legitimate third and fourth liners, instead of plugs like Boll and Dorsett.

If I was a coach who had only coached in the minors or as an assistant in the NHL, and then got an offer for an NHL job, I would almost assuredly take it without hesitation. It's the chance of a lifetime.

If Columbus got Ken Hitchcock fired, I don't think the problem is the coach. Look at what Hitchcock is doing in St. Louis now.

Howson, however, needs to leave and Columbus needs to put in some money into their scouting and player development departments...