The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler Unhappy with Vigneaults Comments

ovx_211

Cue the Kesler for Weber proposals!

BY BRAD ZIEMER, VANCOUVER SUN JANUARY 16, 2012

VANCOUVER — Vancouver Canucks centre Ryan Kesler was clearly displeased today to hear about a comment made about his game by coach Alain Vigneault.

After Sunday night's lacklustre 4-2 loss to the Anaheim Ducks, Vigneault was asked what was wrong with Kesler, whose numbers are down this season and in more than 19 minutes of ice time Sunday night failed to register a shot on goal.

"I think he has to use the players around him a little bit more so that he can get into open space and create the type of offensive chances and be the type of defensive player that he can be," Vigneault said.

Kesler was not aware of those comments until today and bristled when they were put to him by reporters following the team's practice at Rogers Arena.

"Me utilize my players?" Kesler said, before adding: "Obviously, I don't know what he means by that and if he wants to say that he can come to me and talk to me about it.

"I am going to play my game, the things that have made me successful. I know what that is and if he wants to come talk to me he is more than welcome."

Kesler had off-season hip surgery and missed the first five game of the regular season.

This season, he has 12 goals and 31 points in 40 games. Last season, Kesler had a career-high 41 goals, 73 points and won the Selke Trophy as the NHL's top defensive forward.

Asked today if he was living up to his own expectations this season, Kesler said: "Some games, yeah. Obviously, no one is perfect. I am far from it. I go on the ice expecting the best and I am going to expect the best tomorrow night."

The Canucks play host to the Los Angeles Kings on Tuesday night (7 p.m., Sportsnet Pacific, Team 1040).

Kesler acknowledged it took him some time to feel like he had completely recovered from his hip surgery when he returned this season.

"The first 10 or 15 games I just didn't have it, but I feel my game and skating is back to where it should be at," he said today.

After today's practice, Vigneault emphasized that Kesler is not the only top Canuck player struggling.

"Ryan and Hank and Danny (Sedin), I can name quite a few other guys who (are struggling)," Vigneault said. "Sometimes players are going to be a little bit off. Right now we have a couple of guys who are just a tad off. They are aware of it, it's not from lack of preparation or trying. You are going to get these moments in a season."

Vigneault also addressed the inconsistency of Kesler's play.

"I think in Ryan's case what happens is he has shown that high, high-end level at really critical times the type of player he can be," Vigneault said. "And that's a really tough thing to be able to maintain in an 82-game schedule. Everybody is looking to Ryan to do that on a consistent basis. That's not easy for any player to do.

"Ryan being the competitive individual that he is will always try to achieve that standard. It's not easy so he's working on trying to get himself there and get himself there on that consistent basis."

sounds to me like obviously Kesler is not happy with his performance & neither is the coach. Kes just took it wrong & is understandably sensitive about these things. And cuz he (Kesler) holds himself to such a high standard, he is probably pissed off at himself & is taking that comment very very personally. You know, I'm guessing its really hard for Kes to take a criticism, not cuz his all high & mighty, cuz he is frustrated with his points & performance. Its a sticky subject for him. Hope they act like the pros that they are and move on and win games and not let this fester and grow sad.gif

Archived