The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler Unhappy with Vigneaults Comments

ovx_211

Angry Kesler = Better Kesler

The media is scum.. Like Dan Murpht said, they only asked Kesler about the negative part. AV mentioned how the other top guys aren't really on their game right now and how Kesler is a high end player who tries to maintain his great play over an 82 game span which can be difficult. But obviously the media dismisses all of that and spit out one or two lines from the interview that they assumed could stir up the most drama..

I want to slap that reporter who asked that question. That's like when the reporter told Luongo that fans cheered when he got pulled in Boston and what he thought of that. The media makes me sick.

If Vigneault can't state the obvious, then who can?It's pretty fair to say that Kesler has been frustrated offensively and has been trying to force the issue.When guys go through slumps offensively, the best thing they can do is start with their own end, do all the other things a player can to help their team, keep working hard and things will come around.Everyone knows what Kesler is capable of. He struggled and worked hard to recover from his injury; now that it may seem he has had time to get his game back, expectations are preceding the progress a bit. The good and the bad thing is that Kesler is probably more impatient than anyone else where this is concerned. We can see him squeezing the stick, we can see him not seeing open team-mates that he would normally deliver the puck to. We can live with that. He kicked the bench door last night, quite notably frustrated, so it is natural that media are going to have questions about Kesler. It is just a hickup of late and Vigneault's comments weren't really a surprise. Kesler seems to be a unique individual - call it setting a high standard for himself, call it a bit of temporary ego struggles - whatever you want to call it - we like his drive, and we can live with it. He is not exactly moping his way through this. That is great. If people are going to jump to the silly trade rumour conversations - that is normal. Kesler going elsewhere would obviously involve blockbuster quality players moving both ways - I doubt anyone will really be holding their breath over this one. How many centres are there that have the set of qualities he brings? Not many.I personally like seeing him play with Raymond more than Booth, for a number of reasons. I like Booth but I think he has different qualities than Raymond which make him less complimentary to Kesler - Raymond almost seems to defer his game somewhat to Kesler, in a way that makes them both better for the most part. I also like the speed and defensive responsibility of Raymond, that when combined with Kesler can smother other teams' top lines. The rest is gravy, and 40 goals was a lot of gravy, but not necessarily any more important than their shut down aspect. His opponents are probably still feeling as frustrated offensively as he is. We'll take that anytime and can wait for his streaks of scoring to come back.

Archived