The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bleacher Report: Ryan Kesler should be captain

Scorevat

403 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Last year, the Vancouver Canucks were one win away from their first Stanley Cup. The Boston Bruins, however, would not allow it and won Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals handily by a score of 4-0.The Canucks were great up until they had finished their two-game home stand that started the series. After taking a 2-0 series lead, it was time to go to Boston.

From that point forward, they were not the same team. They were outscored an outstanding 21-2.

They got pushed around, outworked and lacked the passion needed to overcome the Bruins and win the cup. Though getting to the Stanley Cup Finals is something to be proud of, I don’t think the Canucks can be proud of how it ended.

While Henrik Sedin is a great captain, he is not the leader the Canucks need to win. He may be one of the most skilled players in the game, and of course leads the team, along with his brother Daniel, with his offensive production, but that has proven not to be enough.

When you’ve got a target on your back supposedly being the most hated team in theNHL, you need a leader who can fight back. You need a leader who can provide his team with a sense of accountability, and you need a leader who can fuel his team with passion.

The Canucks need Ryan Kesler to wear the “C.”

Kesler is the heart and soul of the Vancouver Canucks. He is arguably one of the most passionate players in the league and when he plays, he gives everything he’s got. He is fearless, and one of the league’s elite two-way players who sacrifices his body every shift.

In last year’s playoffs, he was an absolute monster. In the series against Nashville, he was by far the best player game in and game out. His passion shined throughout the entirety of the playoffs, and its true nature was evident when the Canucks announced that Kesler would be undergoing hip surgery due to a torn labrum—an injury that he did not let slow him down during the playoffs.

With the "C" on his chest and the added voice of being captain, Kesler's fiery, hard-working and passionate demeanor would undoubtedly rub off on the rest of the team giving the Canucks the extra dynamic to overcome their drought.

With the "C" on his chest, Kesler is what the Vancouver Canucks need to win their first-ever Stanley Cup.

One of the consistent messages you hear from most teams in most sports is the importance of staying even emotionally during a season, never getting too high or too low.

While his fire is great, that ornery character and passion does not make the above easier, it would make it harder.

:picard: ...

Ryan Kesler the one who told reporters anyone who makes a big hit should be willing to fight? Or the Ryan Kesler who only last week blew a fuse over a mild, and deserved, critic by AV? Or maybe you mean the one that rivals Lappy and Burr for his .. on ice personality?

He's what a lot of hockey players like no doubt, but he's no captain. I guess if it was a popularity contest he might have a chance though.

Sidenote: I like Kes, Lappy and Burr.. just saying

At this point, captaincy strengthen's Henrik's legacy and by the end of his and Daniel's career, they'll be cemented as the best players in Canucks history. Henrik should have the C.

Anyways, from what I understand, Kesler-Bieksa-Burrows are like 'three muskateers,' which just sounds cliquey as crap.

But really whoever has the C is just keeping it warm for Hodgson.

And how do they know Kesler would be a greater pick for captain? Have they played for the team and been with him through the games to experience his leadership qualities that are apparently better than Henrik? Or are they just basing it off the fact that he has a more gritty and 'tough' style? Because then they're just embarrassing themselves.

It's a title, nothing more. One does not become captain because of his playing style. Would Kesler stand up and take all the questions after a Game 7 loss in the Stanley Cup? Would he be a great role model on the ice for the rest of the team?

No fan can claim a certain player would be a better pick than another because you don't know them, you don't know how they are around the ice. You just *think* you know better.

Henrik didn't take Vancouver to the Stanley Cup, the TEAM did. Kesler won't take Canucks to a Stanley Cup if he was captain, the TEAM will. A captain doesn't have the impact that you think he has.

Kesler has come a long way, but he still shows blips of immaturity.

The Canucks are a professional and first class organization. The captain should be a reflection of that and I don't see anyone who does that better then the Sedin twins.

Kesler is a fantastic assistant captain. I don't see how this would affect the team in any way other then giving Kesler added pressure to perform, which might not be good for him?

People always have and always will make a big deal over a letter that serves no purpose other then to address the media and represent the team in the public.

If giving Kesler the C makes a difference in the way the team plays then they need a swift kick in the a**.

It seems as though Henrik learned a lot from our playoff run last year, but has yet to really find a way to overcome very physical games. Even with that said, I think he has the ability to lead this team to the Cup.

On a side note, I think it would be hilarious if Bieksa was captain. Can you image the sound bites he would give out on a daily basis? :lol:

Archived