The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bleacher Report: Ryan Kesler should be captain

Scorevat

403 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why would they ever make an immature punk like Ryan Kesler the captain?

Given that about the only Canuck aside from Schneider whose effort and play could be 100% counted on game in and game out this season was Burrows, he'd be the only one I'd even consider giving it to while the Sedins are still here.

And that was their single biggest problem this year. The only other guy who came close to being counted on on a game to game basis was Hodgson.

Aside from their collective inconsistency, they have to figure out why they can't score goals in the playoffs over the last two seasons and fix it, quick. A GPG average of 1.80 isn't going to get it done.

A legitimate number one defenseman that can QB the powerplay would be a good place to start.

Kes had a real rough go of it this year regarding offensive performance.

Hank has real maturity and now we see how tough he is in his way.

Hank was a superb choice and let's hope Kes comes back healthy and stronger next year.

Kesler wasn't himself this year- I choose to believe that it was his health/hip that troubled him and not his lack of heart, especially from how he took last years failure. As for the failing to comment postgame-- keep in mind, media likes to exaggerate/blow situations out of proportion. And put yourself in his position-- I'm sure he knows that he was terrible for the majority of this season and that is not acceptable especially since his "debut"/coming out year last year. The last thing I'd want to do is comment to the media.

But, regardless, he is considered a elite player and leader of this team and should be accountable. I think he still has a lot of ego-checking/growing up to do and thats why he's not wearing the C. Hank is the right captain for this team... and these playoffs showed that.

I think Henrik can improve as captain. I'm still really happy with Henrik though!

As for Kesler, I just can't see him as captain. I think he's a great leader, but like some people said, his antics in Game one was a -1 point for me. I'm sure he'll be in better shape next season though.

And like others also said, anyone can be a leader and speak out on any team regardless of captaincy.

Archived