The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bleacher Report: Ryan Kesler should be captain

Scorevat

403 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

<br />I for one am for this change because Kesler show's so much heart, and not taking anything away from hank, but that one time Joe Thornton was shoving his nasty fingers up hanks nostrils was something that made me think what if kesler was there instead of hank. So my vote goes to Kesler for captain! Just for fun, anyone out there who would want luuu as captain again?<br />

&lt;br /&gt;In his first year of captaincy, Hank led us to a President's Trophy and 1 game away from the Cup. That's a pretty darn good job, if you ask me. Kesler will stick with the A until the Sedins retire. After they do, it'll be either him or Hodgson that gets the C. Perhaps by then he'll show enough maturity to prove that he deserves the C.&lt;br /&gt;

Biggest bunch of BS that ive ever read.

It is a complete non-issue.

Henrik Sedin is the captain of the Vancouver Canucks with a strong leadership crew comprised of veterans and new-ish players to complement that group.

Im willing to bet that captain will have a Cup ring.

Im also willing to bet he would give credit for that, unflailingly, to his teammates.

• 3 weeks later...

This team is best embodied by the Sedins and vice versa. Nothing against Kesler but he is more emotional, arrogant and a dirtier player than the Sedins. Yes they may sound like bad qualities but every team needs players like that if they're going to win the Cup, its just that our leaders have to be poised, classy, consistent and well-composed players and that's exactly what the Sedins are.

They're the personification of class and that's the direction our team has opted to move towards.

While we are at it, why don't we make AV the GM and MG the coach...

What is funny is that 65% of readers polled on that site agree with the article - here it is 13%.

Weak, American-based hockey journalism.

The article is painfully simplistic in it's reasoning - the Canucks lost in the Finals... it must be because Hank wasn't captaining them well enough... virtually every person who comments on these boards can give 5 reasons why that is painfully oversimplified. Probably an article written by a Sharks fan trying to stir the $#!&....

The article is about as credible as arguing that Kesler should lose the "A" because he is injury prone, and couldn't perform in the Finals the way he did against Nashville... therefore not assistant captain material - give the "A" to Burrows and the Cup is ours...

IMO it's atrocious that this is even up for debate

Debates about our captaincy infuriate me more than any debate about Lu/Schneider, Ballard, Raymond, or anyone else.

To say Kesler should be captain is also to say that Sedin isn't worthy of it. I don't see how Henrik's leadership can be questioned when he and Daniel are the only two players who, after ever game regardless of win or loss, will stand and face the media and represent their team. To have them as the faces of our franchise is an honour and it's the right call.

Period

Hank is a Very good captain. While it can be argued that Kesler is a more passionate player. There is no disputing what Hank does for this team. I am also of the minority when I feel that our team has a true leadership group. Twins, Kesler, KB, Manny, Lu, etc. and while Hank wears. The C. They are all equally important.

This idea is offensive. Hank deserves much more respect for the way he leads this team. He is the perfect fit to wear the C, no matter who else on the team (Kes, KB3, etc) leads in the room. I'm glad many of you guys see it that way too. Hank deserves respect.

Archived