The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Sedins in shootout.

nuckin_futz

Something that you should perhaps take into consideration on Alain Vigneaut's(sp?) behalf, is that as a coach when things don't work you have to try something different. The Sedin twins are star players. But sometimes as you've all obvserved, they don't make their magic happen 100% of the time and overthink things.

Another possibility is that when teams face one another, sometimes they prepare for the likelihood of a shootout. Goalies can be studied for their tendencies in net (ie Luongo being vulnerable at his glove hand, and when you make him move his 5hole opens up). You can also study the opposing team's shooters, which is something a goalie at the NHL level could sometimes consider. So with all that said, is it not possible that AV likes to give the other team something to think about by using unlikely players in the shootout lineup? I mean let's face it, who the hell knows what a defenceman like Edler is going to do with himself in a shootout, but clearly that worked out.

Give AV some credit guys, he is a great coach. Agree or disagree with some of his tactics, you can't overlook the fact that he is a very adaptable and perceptive man. You can't deny that he himself has improved his coaching since we first aquired him. Sometimes it's not just the players that have improvements to make.

Henrik getting the shoot out explained to him by Daniel:

Dank: You shoot it.

Hank: I pass?

Dank: No shoot.

Hank: OK I pass.

Dank: No, it’s just you out there. You and the goalie.

Hank: I pass to goalie?

Dank: We’re not related.

Hank: I love you.

I've never understood why the twins, two of the premier players in the NHL, aren't given a chance in the SO. 'They're bad at the shootout'? Come on, Daniel has the most accurate shot on the Canucks, and he's only had a few chances at the SO. He could just skate in on the goalie and pick a corner like he does so well. He should be at least given the chance again. What other team would not send out their top point getters in the SO?

I think the Sedins have agreed to by pass the shootouts to allow other teammates opportunities. They see that they are the leaders of the team..so why not allow other teammates to be the heroes in shootouts. World class Leader!!

Just to put numbers on it:

Daniel 4 for 21

Hank 0 for 3

But if you want to look at historical success, AV should look here:

Lapierre 3 for 6 - 50%

Ebbett 1 for 2 50%

Burrows 6 for 15 40%

Hodgson 2 for 5 40%

Malhotra 2 for 3 33%

Edler 3 for 10 30%

Raymond 5 for 17 29.4%

Kesler 9 for 33 27.3%

Booth 2 for 10 20%

Daniel 4 for 21 19%

Higgins 1 for 10 10%

Hank and Bieksa 0 for 3 0%

But it's not just that in the cases of Daniel and Hank, it's how badly they looked trying. Now if it was shootout pairs, watchout!

Dank: No, it's just you out there. You and the goalie.

Dank: We're not related.

Dank: No, it's just you out there. You and the goalie.

Dank: We're not related.

Easy answer

Since the rules change after the lock-out(2005/06) Daniel is 4/21 and Henrik is 0/3, why Henrik didn't had more opportunity, by now he only have 2 seasons overs 20 goals.

It isn't because you are the best of your team you will be the best for ''every job'' the twins aren't good in shootout so that's normal of not seeing them in the top 3. Why does AV rarelly put the twins line when we have a faceoff in our own zone, because he's under 50% and Kesler, Lapierre and Malhotra are all better than him to take a faceoff

Considering some of the weak efforts put in by Kesler I definitely think that one of the twins should get another chance

I think AV's fear is that since both like to pass so much, they won't know how to finish in a shootout. But they are the leaders of the team so it's only fair to give them a shot when the game is on the line

Archived