The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Year Of The Bible?: Pa. House Urges ‘Faith In God Through Holy Scripture’

Satan's Evil Twin

As a Christian myself, this move taken by the state of Pennsylvania is completely un-called for. "Apply[ing] the teachings of the holy scriptures" is a clear ifringment on the rights of non-Christian Americans. Religion cannot have any influence on government; it should be a neutral institutution in society. It should act in the interest in the ways of all citizens, and taking the Bible to "strengthen the nation" is not a neutral action to take onto society.

Why would I read something other than the Bible if I'm a Christian and only follow the Bible? Kind of redundant isn't it? I do research on other religions, like anybody with a brain should.

Respect and tolerance is what being religious is all about, I'm sorry you obviously missed that fact. Like I said before, there are judgemental, over-critical religious folk out there, but I'm not one of them, I treat people, including you, with respect and I would appreciate it if you gave me the same.

You're cheering the imposition of your religion in politics, and then whine about not getting respect? LOL

There are judgmental hypocritical Christians, and then there are Christians like you, right? The good kind?

I can't wait for this crapty resolution gets overturned in court as it inevitably will.

I could say the same thing about whoever is opposed to it.

We live in a world where information and facts are the most readily available to us more than they have ever been, yet there are more ignorant and close minded people than there ever were.

People who knock religion and the idea of it need to get their heads checked because more often than not, religious people don't knock atheists. It really just comes down to respect.

As a Christian myself, this move taken by the state of Pennsylvania is completely un-called for. "Apply[ing] the teachings of the holy scriptures" is a clear ifringment on the rights of non-Christian Americans. Religion cannot have any influence on government; it should be a neutral institutution in society. It should act in the interest in the ways of all citizens, and taking the Bible to "strengthen the nation" is not a neutral action to take onto society.

I actually agree with you. I guess it is a question of weather they are acknowledging the religion and excersing their freedoms, or if they had a more ignorant attitude towards what they were doing. I don't agree with the process. It should have been up for debate rather than swiftly passed to avoid opposition. They seemed sneaky and underminding in the way they went about it and definitely should have done things more by the book.

It should not be done regardless in any country. Merging religion into politics is just going to create havoc in society, just look at the Middle East. The church needs to keep its institutions and influence within the confines of its believers. Same goes for any other religion.

I think the real problem is when the religion in question is trying to be forced upon others. To me, this sounds just like a simple case of exercising the freedom of religion and recognizing how it has influenced america for so many years,. If this was America as a whole implementing it, or if it was a "join or else" situation than thats BS, I would be against it and it would create chaos.

I think the real problem is when the religion in question is trying to be forced upon others. To me, this sounds just like a simple case of exercising the freedom of religion and recognizing how it has influenced america for so many years,. If this was America as a whole implementing it, or if it was a "join or else" situation than thats BS, I would be against it and it would create chaos.

You are only Christian because you were born somewhere in particular, or somewhere down the road a member of your distant family was forced to become Christian, because their life was threatened. More crimes have been committed in the name of Christianity than any other religion.

I look at this bill as nothing more than the people in power doing what they want with what they believe in. Pennsylvania is a heavily religious state, a reason why they were able to get away with it. Nowhere in the article does it state that other religions aren't allowed to follow their own beliefs, or that athiests aren't allowed to disagree.

People are going to believe and follow whatever the heck they want to, regardless of what others say or do. This bill will either stay or go, either way life goes on and It's not life and death.

Archived