The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond? Do We Really Want Him?

CanucksJay

I think his offence is clearly lacking and while he is on 2nd line right now, if we are able to acquire a solid 2nd liner, it would be nice to have Raymond/Hansen rotate on the 3rd line to play with Higgins and Hodgson with the other one moving down to 4th to play with Lapierre and Maholtra

I have made an attempt to watch Raymond very closely the last few games and see if the flak he is taking is fair(I even re-watched the Leaf game yesterday morning). In my opinion I see him using his speed on the forecheck and getting the other team to turnover pucks which has created good opportunities for his linemates. He made several smart passing plays in both games feeding the points for shots from the point.

I really think some of the media read the stat lines and assume how a player is playing rather than actually watching them. Raymond has become the "flavour of the day" whipping boy for the media, most of whom have likely never strapped on a pair of skates.

Do we need more out of him offensively? Yes, but people need to recognize his forechecking, penalty-killing and defensive responsibility are real assets for the team.

I have made an attempt to watch Raymond very closely the last few games and see if the flak he is taking is fair(I even re-watched the Leaf game yesterday morning). In my opinion I see him using his speed on the forecheck and getting the other team to turnover pucks which has created good opportunities for his linemates. He made several smart passing plays in both games feeding the points for shots from the point.

I really think some of the media read the stat lines and assume how a player is playing rather than actually watching them. Raymond has become the "flavour of the day" whipping boy for the media, most of whom have likely never strapped on a pair of skates.

Do we need more out of him offensively? Yes, but people need to recognize his forechecking, penalty-killing and defensive responsibility are real assets for the team.

Great forechecker and backchecker.

Plays seem to die in his stick.

Weak along the boards and subpar at cycling the puck.

Good speed but needs to improve puckhandling.

Good at finding open spaces and moving without the puck. Not good at getting shots through.

Needs to use body more. Offseason work to add some weight will help.

Good pk and good shootout guy.

Tony G is all over him on 1040 right now.

He basically said when we have a cream puff weekend playing TO and Edm and all 4 lines are rolling for 11 goals in 2 games, to have Raymond not even register a shot in the 2 games is pretty amusing.

I know I started the thread but I do feel bad about the amount of heat he is now getting from the media.

While this thread was started be me, scrutinizing Raymond's play has helped me realize that he is a solid bottom 6 guy and is good for a checking line as long as he has other line mates that are bigger and more physical to play with him.

I think his offence is clearly lacking and while he is on 2nd line right now, if we are able to acquire a solid 2nd liner, it would be nice to have Raymond/Hansen rotate on the 3rd line to play with Higgins and Hodgson with the other one moving down to 4th to play with Lapierre and Maholtra

11 goals in 2 games and Mason Raymond didn't record a single point

The only other skater who went pointless over the two weekend games was Aaron Rome.

If being a 4th line grinder was all the potential he had I don't think we'd be critical of him. I mean, when Lapierre doesn't score for a certain amount of time we don't care because that's not his main job.

But Raymond is so much more than that. When he's on his game he can be a 20-goal scorer no problem. It's just a waste of talent when he doesn't show up on the scoresheet for extended periods of time IMO.

11 goals in 2 games and Mason Raymond didn't record a single point

The only other skater who went pointless over the two weekend games was Aaron Rome.

If being a 4th line grinder was all the potential he had I don't think we'd be critical of him. I mean, when Lapierre doesn't score for a certain amount of time we don't care because that's not his main job.

But Raymond is so much more than that. When he's on his game he can be a 20-goal scorer no problem. It's just a waste of talent when he doesn't show up on the scoresheet for extended periods of time IMO.

Just talking points for the weekend according to the stat page Hamuis, Booth, Tanev, Hodgson, Raymond, and Rome went pointless, so Raymond was not alone

Hodgson assisted on the Higgins goal (Edm) but other than that you're correct

I was using the Score Mobile app and didn't realize that the column was +/- and not points. Thanks for the correction :)

Pro's:

Great backchecker

Dangerous speed

Creates room for linemates

Con's:

Limited offensive production

Weak, non hitter

Clearly off form

Overall - while I appreciate the room he makes for his linemates with his speed and the defensive work he does it doesn't amount to enough to excuse his lack of production.

With him on the 2nd line really only Booth looks a constant goal threat, with Kesler chipping in big but infrequent goals.

Great forechecker and backchecker.

Plays seem to die in his stick.

Weak along the boards and subpar at cycling the puck.

Good speed but needs to improve puckhandling.

Good at finding open spaces and moving without the puck. Not good at getting shots through.

Needs to use body more. Offseason work to add some weight will help.

Good pk and good shootout guy.

I keep reading how "oh Raymond didn't get a full off-season to workout" etc as if that's the reason why he isn't scoring.. this is the same guy that scored 2 goals in 23 playoff games...with one of them being an empty netter.

We know what were gonna get from him, his speed is fantastic and he is a very solid defensive player. That said he is never going to bulk up.. He is always going to be a small player and he is not suited for playoff hockey.

If MG can improve the team i would deal him with no hesitation.. If the right deal doesn't come around then keep him around and pray he can improve on last years dreadful output.

I just see him as not good enough for the 2nd line and not the right guy for the 3rd id like to see more size.

Archived