The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond? Do We Really Want Him?

CanucksJay

Raymond's cap hit is lower than Pahlsson's, about the same as Malhotra, and a lot lower than Booth's. He's not scoring, but at least he's defensively responsible. And he scored 25 goals just two seasons ago. I'm worried Booth will get this kind of hate if he keeps underperforming.

Two assists, two somewhat unlucky posts, four takeaways, one giveaway and a +2 rating in his last three games played. Raymond has two somewhat lucky goals, no assists, three takeaways, two giveaways and a +1 in his last two games played. If Higgins is struggling so is Raymond when you factor in a game of inches (an inch to the right and Higgins has two goals - an inch lower and Raymond has none).

No, neither player is struggling atm, they are both playing well. Booth on the other hand is struggling. Btw, for a guy who says:

Why are you then saying this?!

You're as much of an hypocrite as the rest of "us".

Raymond's cap hit is lower than Pahlsson's, about the same as Malhotra, and a lot lower than Booth's. He's not scoring, but at least he's defensively responsible. And he scored 25 goals just two seasons ago. I'm worried Booth will get this kind of hate if he keeps underperforming.

The media guys and the Cody-butt-kissers must still be crying themselves to sleep at night. Being a Raymond supporter, I was very nervous at the trade deadline. I thought for sure the Hodgson trade was a Raymond trade. I know the Raymond hate has been media driven, so I had a good chuckle at the thought of them expecting Raymond to be gone, only to find it was Hodgson. You can still hear the quiver in their voices like they want to start crying again and are holding it back.

Raymond will never get a fair shot unless he becomes a bonafide star. Fans and media blame him for Grabner, Tambellini, and now Hodgson. Some of those clowns probably wanted Wellwood over Raymond. Meanwhile Raymond works his butt off in any role asked of him. He's not the GM, he's just a player. He's also still a Canuck. I will continue to support him.

The difference is there is little upside to Booths play just now. I never said that CDC'rs couldn't have an opinion on the players, I just object to unfair ridicule and character/game assassination.

Now show me where I have said Booth must be traded. I repeat I have no problem with criticism of Raymond if it is factual. I have a problem when things are made up about his play, where other aspect of his game which he is doing well are ignored and when he is being touted and ridiculed in every trade thread going including a bag of pucks.

So try to understand the meaning of the word Hypocrite before acting the bold boy. Hypocrites will be the people on here 6 months from now who are comparing Raymond to Pavel Bure and their ilk after slaughtering him...........as we have recently had with Cody, Luongo, Bieksa, Ballard, Manny et al.

I always support Booth and any other player when they play in the jersey. I don't have to like them. I have already said that while I am not a fan of Duco, or Bitz I have been open minded enough to appreciate their performances.

I am not a fan of Booth because imo he is greedy and when his greed doesn't pay off in goals or assists there is little else to his game. (I like Higgins, so I don't know how his name came up) However I would not constantly campaign on here for a player to be traded and support my arguments by fallacies.

My reference to Booth was as much to highlight how "flavours of the month" get a free pass while players currently contributing a lot more are ridiculed and maligned.

The difference is there is little upside to Booths play just now. I never said that CDC'rs couldn't have an opinion on the players, I just object to unfair ridicule and character/game assassination.

Now show me where I have said Booth must be traded. I repeat I have no problem with criticism of Raymond if it is factual. I have a problem when things are made up about his play, where other aspect of his game which he is doing well are ignored and when he is being touted and ridiculed in every trade thread going including a bag of pucks.

So try to understand the meaning of the word Hypocrite before acting the bold boy. Hypocrites will be the people on here 6 months from now who are comparing Raymond to Pavel Bure and their ilk after slaughtering him...........as we have recently had with Cody, Luongo, Bieksa, Ballard, Manny et al.

I always support Booth and any other player when they play in the jersey. I don't have to like them. I have already said that while I am not a fan of Duco, or Bitz I have been open minded enough to appreciate their performances.

I am not a fan of Booth because imo he is greedy and when his greed doesn't pay off in goals or assists there is little else to his game. (I like Higgins, so I don't know how his name came up) However I would not constantly campaign on here for a player to be traded and support my arguments by fallacies.

My reference to Booth was as much to highlight how "flavours of the month" get a free pass while players currently contributing a lot more are ridiculed and maligned.

I realised it was metaphoric, it's just that I can never resist selling my country.:-)...........As for being taken seriously I really don't care if they mean it or not, they commit it to print and help sad wee laddies like D J Bollocks to get some credibility. That in itself is bad enough.

Don't feel singled out by the way I admit I have not really seen your name as prevalent amongst these type of posts and so I apologise if I said or implied you were one of the "usual suspects."

Thank you for realizing that I'm not one driving the Raymond hate bus... LOL I honestly think if AV would use him where he's better suited he would be a far more effective player... It seems obvious to me that he would fit nicely on the third line as a checking winger along side Pahlsson and Hansen... If the intent is to make the third line a true checking line then I believe that is a role tailor made for him... Use him on one of the PK units and voila excellent use of minutes for him... I know it's easy to sit in the living room and be a coach or GM but for the life of me I fail to understand AV's reluctance to move Higgins back up to the second line and give them time to re-establish some chemistry... In December prior to Booth getting injured, they were well on their way to doing just that...

Higgins' name came up because you claimed he was struggling when the stats show that he's actually outproducing Raymond, atm.

As for calling you a hypocrite, I stand by my remarks. You slam Booth by calling him a nightmare and greedy, and fail to see things like the unselfish plays he made to set up Kesler for an absolutely glorious one-timer in the high slot in the Phoenix game and the unselfish dish to Kesler he made on a rush vs St. Louis last night. At the same time that you ignore all of the good things he does (like like puck protection/willingness to set screens/willingness to go to the dirty areas around the net and risk the punishment/drivin to the net with or without the puck and taking a defender with him which opens up space) you then voice displeasure with fans that ignore all of the good things that Raymond does.

Future not looking too good for MayRay.

If production immediately goes up with Kassian on 2nd line, AV would look like a fool not to keep the line in tact.

Mayray and Weise taking turns as 13th forward in practice today...

We'll see what he's made of down this stretch.

I hope he continues to work hard and contribute in other ways(PK, checking role, etc)

QUOTABLE, PART 2:“Mase is working real hard and trying real hard.” – Canuck coach Alain Vigneault on the slumping Mason Raymond, who had no shots, no hits, no takeways and no blocked shots in 13:07 of ice time against the Sabres. Vigneault put Kassian in Raymond's second-line spot for the third period.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+Notebook+Germans+Ehrhoff+Sulzer+back+together+Sabre+blueline/6249226/story.html#ixzz1oIDWN1cI

Raymond will never get a fair shot unless he becomes a bonafide star. Fans and media blame him for Grabner, Tambellini, and now Hodgson. Some of those clowns probably wanted Wellwood over Raymond. Meanwhile Raymond works his butt off in any role asked of him. He's not the GM, he's just a player. He's also still a Canuck. I will continue to support him.

I had a nice little chuckle at the way AV talks about Raymond.. Talk about a guy which the coach obviously knows you gotta basically "baby talk" his confidence is so fragile. I don't know what you do with the guy, while i can't stand Raymond were likely going to need something out of him if we're to go on an extended run. I think he could be a serviceable 3rd liner and possible rotating guy depending on the type of series which isn't exactly a bad situation to be in as i seem to be saying this about a few guys.

I can't stand Botchford but he had one thing right today, this is the same player we saw last year before his injury... This is not a case of needing more time or conditioning.

As for calling you a hypocrite, I stand by my remarks. You slam Booth by calling him a nightmare and greedy, and fail to see things like the unselfish plays he made to set up Kesler for an absolutely glorious one-timer in the high slot in the Phoenix game and the unselfish dish to Kesler he made on a rush vs St. Louis last night. At the same time that you ignore all of the good things he does (like like puck protection/willingness to set screens/willingness to go to the dirty areas around the net and risk the punishment/drivin to the net with or without the puck and taking a defender with him which opens up space) you then voice displeasure with fans that ignore all of the good things that Raymond does.

no, not so much. he is the final upgrade this team needs. replace him please this offseason.

I am not a hater, not a bandwagoner...I have said consistently that he is fast, and decent, but he is not elite, and his hands never did catch up to his feet. Not strong enough to be bottom six, not elite enough to be top six on a contender. He is our current weakest link.

...... Raymond was grubbed for his tenacity.

...One of Raymond's talents is his ability to neutralise the rush with his speed and his checking game.

... I know it spoils all you Raymond/Rome hater's fairytales but "facts is facts" as they say. Everything else is blowing smoke.

Archived